Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What do you do with the box?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
I've kept a few, but just to hold instructions and spare parts. the rest have all gone onward. I used to cut out the painings of all those Japanese 1/700 series. Found a website where some guy scanned them in, so now I' don't keep anything
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:18 PM UTC
i save them. i don't know why. actually i am taking them to my grandparents where is my real workspace but where i work just in the hollydays
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
I seem to save the box of every product I buy. I can't explain the reason although I have re used one or two. After about a year I go though my closet and trash probably 50 useless boxes! I guess I'm just a packrat! :-)

kathoon
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
I keep the boxes. I put the smaller boxes in the bigger ones, which saves a little space.
But then , I bring them to my aunt's attic. This saves me even more space.
I do keep the instructions and the other things I may use some day.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
I don't have the heart to throw them out..........I end up stuffing them somewhere.......and then they just hyappen to dissapear......so I stuff more there and they eventually all get thrown out.........by someone.......thats.......not of this world........MWAHAHAHA

actually its probably just the cleaning people #:-)
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC

OK, here's what to do if you're a kid, got a kid, or just act like a kid:

First, line the back (ugly plain cardboard part) of the front of the kit box with some nice paper. Maybe a camo pattern paper or something that will go with the vehicle depicted on the other side.

Next, cut out the picture of the vehicle on the front of the box. This is easy with Tamiya box art as the vehicle is usually on a plain white background. (Another reason for you guys to bash DML, Academy, Italeri, etc. #:-) )

Now you should have a nice tank shillouette with two attractive sides. Make about eight of these of various vehicles. Say all WWII, all Axis, all Cold War, all modern, whatever you prefer.

Here comes the fun. Get some nice stiff wire and arrange it into an X pattern. Use fine fishing line and attach the tank cut-outs at various lengths and distances from the center of the X. Hang from the ceiling above your work bench or your bed.

You now have a unique AFV mobile. Calder, eat your heart out!

Steve
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 566 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
I cut out the top page with the box art. On the other side I write all relevant info about the making of the model such as :
project started/finished - used colours - pastels - oil paint - what items used for the base etc.
I then store them.
I also copy the instruction sheet and work with the copy. What I also do with the left over decals is do a copy of the instruction sheet together with it so that I allways know what decals to use for a specific version.
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 430 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:32 PM UTC
hi

i always recycle the boxes, because on e-net it's so easy to find good reference pictures. about instructionsheets i keep them for about 3 years then i also recycle them :-)

i know it's nice the keep the box's for there pretty pictures but i think my room would be a mess ith all those boxes

have fun people and start recycling

dmd

4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering if anybody had any clever ideas on what to do with the empty model boxes after you've built the kit. When I was younger the models used to say "box top suitable for framming." I don't think I ever frammed one but I used to cut them out to put up on my walls. I'm starting to get a few of these now and I just thought somebody might have a brilliant idea on putting them to use.

I save them. Once I get a scanner, I'd scan the box art and put the images as wall paper on my desktop.

I keep the sprues if ever I need to met them and turn them into antennas and other extras.

Ditto with unused decals.

Unused parts go to my spares box.

Ron
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
i used to save them once, then run out of space and spaced them oyt, now i scan them and then straight for recycling
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
Ola People

What I always do is this.
When the model is finished I cut out the boxart and keep the instructions. This I do with the vehicles. For the figures (DML,Tamiya, whatever) I cut out the boxart and the paintscheme and put those in an apart folder for reference.

csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC
Throw it away. Too many kits unbuilded to keep the empty boxes. No room for them.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
Good Morning Folks:

Funny you should ask this. Because My girlfriend is always asking me the same thing. i.e.
Why do you keep the empty boxes. And the answer is.....I Dont know, I just do, Though I do keep all the old instructions in one of the empties. Spare parts have a much larger designated box that they are kept in..(Which now resides at my Apt) Actually I think my girlfriend just wants to use the corner of the room that I use to store all the empties in. Which sits next to my hobby desk, In the Hobby room. Which has also become a storage room for alot of her junk.. Anyway I guess I'm just like some of you guys here. I just dont have the hear to toss out the empties. Though I guess I should. BUT then the way I see it. My girlfriend would finally have an excuse to put what ever it is that she wants to in that small corner. Which I'm not about to give up to her. So I guess it's slowly becoming a territorial thing.
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
I save some of the sturdier boxes and use one as a tool box, one for paints, one for spare parts, one for decals and a little one to hold track link parts.

Mike
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
just saw on e-bay the other day a person selling empty box tops....
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
I chuck them too - to make room for new purchases. No sentimental attachment to the empty box I'm afraid...

Heartless bastard I am...

Gunnie
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
I'm starting to consolidate duplicate kits into one box (if they fit)
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
their stacked uo in my closet.. i keep the instructuins in a binder.. one ofr german, russian US
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
I just started to cut out the tops of every kit I have finished over the past few years and staple them over the drywall that I was supposed to finish in my room...Hey it hides the joints and much less work and dust...I do have a room only for model building so I can do this ..I wouldn't suggest doing this to your living room...

Rick
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
I give my "empties" to my wife who uses them for shipping out her Ebay sales. They can be easily cut up to the size that's needed!!! Mind you , some do end up in the circular file.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

their stacked uo in my closet.. i keep the instructuins in a binder.. one ofr german, russian US

HEY Now theres an idea I had not considered. I think I might do just that . Thanks !!
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
If I don't have a specific use for the box, out it goes. Sometimes I'll save one for storage of parts, or consolidate smaller boxes into it, but I usually don't save them just because.

The instructions go in clear page holders in a binder. Sometimes I'll save a box and use it as something to paint on because then when there's paint everywhere, the box can just be thrown out.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
I usually cut out the small pictures of the factory completed model on the side of the DML boxes.
Then I glue these to a door on my modeling room.The rest of the box gets flattened and recycled. (++) (++)
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 02:18 PM UTC
i have to admit that i am a box hoarder as well.although i did throw out two empty boxes last weekend only twenty five more to go.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 02:46 PM UTC
Recycling my friends...Recycling.

Hasty