_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Free "Display Cases" at Hobby Lobby
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:09 AM UTC
I made by normal trek to Hobby Lobby yesterday to take advantage of the half price sale going on. When I checked out the clerk said they were giving away free display cases with models and did I want any. Sure. They are very thin clear plastic, about 12 inches by 8 inches and 4 inches high. They remind me of the clear plastic trays fast food places use to cover salads. I don't think I'll use them as display cases but they should make good dust covers to use when painting.

If you're going there anyway before Saturday you might ask.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Howdy HalfYank,

Many thx for the 'heads-up' regarding the free case...I've already recently spent a small bundle at HL to pick up a few M48's and Flak 88's, noone ever mentioned or offered a 'free' case.......make's you think they din't like me much! ;-) (entirely understandable)

Tread,

P.S. why the 'HalfYank' moniker?...curious ;-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. why the 'HalfYank' moniker

Mum was a Cockney war bride, even though Dad didn't bring her over to the states until well after the war. So he missed out on the free transportation. When I first got onto the net I used the moniker HalfLimey, which is more appropriate, but I lost my password for that name. I switched to Halfyank several years ago and now it's as much my name as Rodger is.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
Ok - everyone within driving distance of HL is making me jealous!!! 50% off, free cases - what's up with that?!?!?!?!?
#:-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
Slodder,
Don't feel too awful bad. The models are half off about once every couple of months but the selection is always the same and it seems to be the same corporation wide. They have the Tamiya Dragon Wagon (without the wagon), M16, M48A3, Leopard 2, new tooling Jeep, Duece and a half, Grant, etc. but they have had the same kits for the last 4 years.

Shaun

PS: No free displays cases at my store...
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
Shaun:

Add to your list the Early Production M4 Sherman, the Mobelwagen, the old Panther A, sandbags, bricks and Rommel's Greif, Italeri's Priest and the Dragon German Grenadiers at Arnham and you have covered the entire HL armor stock in Houston. I don't understand HL's marketing strategy. Why bother stocking any armor kits if you are only going to stock the same kits. In fact, the closest HL had not even re-stocked (touched??) their shelves since they had their last half off sale.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC
keenan, kbm - thanks for the update :-) I don't feel so bad now. The only hobby store action in the Raleigh area is Hobby Town USA shut down. Oh well.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
I agree with you guys on the selection of armor at HL. I've just about cleaned the local stores out of anything I'm remotely interested in buying. Add to the list the LRDG, Stuart, a VERY few DML figure kits, and the M1A1. I think I MIGHT pick up the M1A1 next time they're on sale. I got the DML 101 airborne and ranger kits from them last year but I haven't seen them there since.

Of course there is always Wingy Things and ships if I ever want to move over there. Not many but some. They've got tons of cars though.

As far as their marketing I think it's brilliant that they even HAVE models. My wife used to drag me to Michaels, and Ben Franklins and I hated it. At least at Hobby Lobby I could make a beeline to the model section to have SOMETHING to look at.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
Halfyank:

I will give HL some credit for stocking models but I can only imagine what a bit larger and more varied and consistently re-stocked supply would do to their sales, even when they are not half off. The HL's in Houston also have a huge stock of car models. I do like HL for two other reasons: they put their oil paints and brushes on sale consistently and it is a treasure trove for the person interested in dioramas.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
I wish I knew of a hobby lobby 'round here...
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC
Makes me think that their normal prices are high and that by having 50% off, they are getting close to what some of the Online retailers are selling for.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
I paid 18.00 even for a Stuart and a Grant, both Tamiya. Not great kits, I'll admit, but, 18 bucks...

Shaun
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I paid 18.00 even for a Stuart and a Grant, both Tamiya. Not great kits, I'll admit, but, 18 bucks...

Hey, the Stuart's not that bad if you want to build the diesel version that saw very little, if no action.

Also, for $9, the suspension alone off of the Grant is a deal compared to buying an aftermarket early VVSS suspension. It's perfect for doing an early Priest -- just make sure you replace the roadwheels -- they are a fictional six-spoke (use the Priest kit road wheels).

_GOTOTOP