_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Help! I need to make karabiners!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
Karabiners, what the heck are those???

Wekl those are the safety hooks used in rockclimbing and for my rocklimbers I need a lot of them (30+)

In 1/35 scale they would be 2,5 mm x 1,5 mm and very thin.

any sugestions???
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
Couple of thoughts - necklace links squished in a pair of pliers. - hobby wire wrapped around a molded tooth pick.
In 1/35th the detai on the clasp part could be painted on.

Would they be 2,5mm? in scale? That seems a bit big. If I'm not mistaken they can come in different sizes?
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:52 AM UTC
I think that small chain links, perhaps slightly flattened with pliers or a vice, would work fine. Carabiners come in lots of different shapes, so simple ovals should be ok. Hard to tell difference between oval and d-ring at 1/35, anyway.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC
Making these is a lot easier than you think.

1) find a piece of resin, wood (chopstick ?) or other material that is hard but still can be modeled with a knife, and has some length.
2) cut it with your x-acto to get the dimensions of the inside of your "karabiner". It takes some fiddling, but this should not be a problem. If you don't like it, start over again till you get it right.
3) find some copper wire of the correct thickness (go to the local electronics shop and look for the right stuff. You need the inside of the wire, not the plastic sheeting. You can probably find the right thickness in a model shop, but that will cost you more.
4) wind the copper around the frame you cut in (2)
5) keep winding it. you can make several carabiners at the same time (you can use this technique around a round piece of rod to make round metal links (hand grenades, key rings,...)
6) carefully cut the wound piece of metal to pieces. Making one nice vertical cut should leave you with a lot of karabiner links.
To make the thick part of the karabiner, you can add some a tiny piece of the plastic sheeting that was originally around the electronics wire.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i think you americans call them snap links...something like that

NOpe, we call them carabineers, at least people who know what they are to begin with.

You might also go to a craft store and find a spool of brass wire which you won;t have to strip. One spool lasted me several years with many different applications. I'd go with General Failure's idea. I've done that to make various single loops for any number of purposes, as well as the spring mount for military antennae. :-)
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:31 PM UTC
Tnx fellows,

some good ideas to try out

Scot, yes they come in different sizes but the common used seems to be 4,5x8cm which in 1/35 scale is 1,2x2,3mm
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
Oh my goodness, they come in hundreds of combonations of sizes, shapes and colors: oval, D, modified D, Q-rings, locking/unlocking (though anything that supports, or may wind up supporting body weight needs to be locking).

I've actually seen them made with some DML kits, I'd use stretched sprue to replicate them myself.

#:-)
 _GOTOTOP