_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
tamya paints,what to get.help
junkman
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
ive been using enamal paints and i was going to get me a good selection of acyrlic tamya paints, can somone give me a few tips on what colors to get i am really getting into building ww2 armor and plains any help would be great.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC
First, a welcome aboard is in order.

Second... uhhh, every available color?
I need to know what side are you "really getting into"? Axis or Allied? It could make a big difference in the colors you need.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
IMHO, you'll be better off getting Model Master acrylics. You'll have closer color matches and, again, IMHO, a much better quality paint. 15 years ago, I'd have said, yes, go with Tamiya paints. They have changed their formula since then, reduced the bottle size, and have not changed or added any colors. They dry terribly fast when trying to mix or blend and when brushing, they form a quick but very fragile skin which will deteriorate as soon as the brush touches it with a second coat unless it's absolutely dry.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
First of all welcome aboard the best site around. There's a specific reason why want to go for Tamiya? Do you have an airbrush? I'm with AJ Lafleche on the points he highlighted. I'm so upset with the big T's approach and product range (referred to paints) that I'm going the other way round. I'm abandoning Tamiya to move towards MM Enamels (I would love to go for MM acryls but here in Italy they're almost impossible to be found). On top of that, unless you thin them to incredible porportions, your brush gets "petrified" by dry paint after a couple of strokes and, in my view they're suitable only for airbrushing!!!
Ciao
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:00 PM UTC
I love both brands.
I use the MM acrylics though the greens are giving me fits, they dry semi- to gloss. It's not for me it's not a shaking or stirring issue, i may just have a bad batch ( I bought about $100 of MM at once).
Which get's me to the second point, scoccia you're not alone. Even here in the US I have to go 5 hours to Minnespolis to find the acrylics.... That also explains buing $100 worth all at once!!!
I really do love both brands.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
I don't really have any gripes with Tamiya paints other than the fact that they dry so darn fast. This is why I mostly use them for airbrushing. It might be a good idea for you to test various brands and go with what works best for you.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hey everyone... Wanna try acrylics, got to http://www.militaryhobbies.ca and have a look at the life color line of paints.. Great selection of colours and so far, I have not had a bit of problem with them...

Dave
 _GOTOTOP