_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I think I'm in trouble now.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:49 AM UTC
I freely admit I’m a plasticholic. Up until now I have restrained myself to only buying products in local stores, or a couple of times on ebay. When I ordered online I’d have them delivered to my house with “Mamma’s permission” or at least knowledge. I did so with the full knowledge that when it arrived I’d get the standard eye roll and sarcastic “another model?”

Well the other day I tried ordering something online but having it delivered to my work. I ordered a Dragon Valentine MkIII and it was delivered Friday. (As an aside this is my first Dragon AFV. They really spared every expense on instructions, didn’t they? I guess I’m really spoiled by Tamiya instructions.) This opens up a whole new world of addiction. Now I can order products to ship to work without having to face the dreaded eye roll and caustic remarks. To me this is the modeling equivalent of an addict being able to hide their addiction.

Where was that number to Plasticholics Anonymous again?

PS: I’m sure glad my wife can’t read these posts.

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
Too bad you picked the Valentine as your first Dragon/DML kit. It is a reissue of a rather poor model originally issued by an Eastern European manufacturer (Alan, perhaps?).

If you want to get a better taste for Dragon kits, try one of the StuGs, Pz. III or Sherman kits.

So .... how do you plan to sneak it into the house???
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi,

Quoted Text

So .... how do you plan to sneak it into the house ???

Now you need to search for the topic dealing with this situation, that topic have very good tips to introduce new boxes at home.

KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
Nice one Rodger. My modelling is the least expensive of my hobbies so the boss is kept fully informed just so I can prove how little I am spending!

When I was rebuilding my full size Norton I regularly had parts delivered to my work. Getting them home was no problem 'cos the workshop was in the garage where I parked the car.
Ditto parts and accessories for my modern motorcycle.The Visa bill was occasionally a subject for discussion though!

Regards Dave :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Too bad you picked the Valentine as your first Dragon/DML kit. It is a reissue of a rather poor model originally issued by an Eastern European manufacturer (Alan, perhaps?).

If you want to get a better taste for Dragon kits, try one of the StuGs, Pz. III or Sherman kits.

So .... how do you plan to sneak it into the house???

Hollowpoint you're right, this is a reissue of an old Alan model, according to a review on Trak Linx. They did say that the link to link tracsk were better than the Alan version. I know this kit isn't state of the art but I want to do more British armor.

As far as sneaking it into the house I put it in my briefcase and wrapped a jacket around where it stuck out. It was only 95 degrees that day, I don't know how 'mamma' didn't ask me about it. The two things about this kit that made it difficult is the box is condiserably oversized for the contents, and it's a very colorful box next to a typical Tamiya model. Both of these made it harder to sneak in. I think I'll have to TRY to keep this method to aftermaket kits and figures, they're smaller.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
I am impressed with how you are handling your addiction,halfyank.
But you must test your will power.
You must improve your skills with Dragon kits.You must purchase more.
May I recommend:

It is large,Dragon,and has enough pieces to keep your habit fed.

FOR MONTHS!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-)

(++) (++) (++)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
Rodger I definitely know where you are coming from. I have been doing this "buy a kit on the Internet, have it shipped to work, sneak it into the house" routine for years now. I am amazed I never got caught. Then again, maybe my wife just decided not make a big deal out of it. Hmm...
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:57 AM UTC
I feel your pain. My wife lets me get away with it though ... it keeps me within arm reach and she likes that. :-) :-) :-)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:41 PM UTC
Well, I'm kind of "old school" and have never ordered anything off the net. I like to see the kit, hold the box in my hands, then get immediate gratification rather than watch the mailbox or for the UPS truck. I tend to buy a lot of stuff from vendors at model contests -- that way I can talk it over with a few of my buds and maybe deal the price down a bit. In my experience, a lot of vendors will talk deals, especially when it is getting close to the end of the day and they'd rather make a sale than pack it back up and take it home. When I come home from the contest, I tell the wife that I won them in the raffle .... hehehe ...

I have, however, worked quite a few trades over the net and at model club swap meets, which the wife has no problem with so far ...
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:08 PM UTC
I too have about 90% of my stuff delivered to work. As I take a large case to work with me each day it has 'room' to have items smuggled into the house. My wife knows I do this but not to what extent, also as I pay the credit card bills she doesnt really care as long as it is all paid for!! - plus at the minute she has just bought a new 3 piece suite so I am riding the gun a bit at the minute :-)

On another note we both work during the day so if I have a delivery to the house it can often be another week before I can arrange to have it redelivered so having it sent to work means less delays in getting stuff. The girls that I work with in our admin department are now used to seeing strange parcels turning up from all over the world - phrases of 'here's some more of that tank stuff [with the accompanying strange looks]' are often heard.

Dont we live in great times

Lee
 _GOTOTOP