Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
ACUTR Zombie chase truck
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC

Awesome man, coming right along! Almost ready to hit the killing fields! Keep on Truckin!

Cuhail
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:10 PM UTC
Great progress. Lookin like a mobile bunk bed zombie killin machine!
That screen material is a very nice detail touch.
What are you using for this? (did you already explain this, sorry)

Flamethrower tanks could be a couple used CO2 cartridges for the fuel and propellant
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Images%20JPG/CO2_CARTRIDGES_W_NUMBERS.JPG
http://www.parrotbayunlimited.com/images/_products/parrotbay/16554%20-%20Mosquito%20Magnet%20CO2%20Cartridges.gif

VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thanks for lookin' guys. The more I get into this project the more ideas I have. I'm hung up on the 4x4 stuff right now. I'm gonna have to fab up some kind of semi-realistic transfer case.......or I'll end up with a jacked up 4x4 with only a back driveshaft.

KSO, the mesh is just some cheap stuff I picked up at AC Moore craft store. It was like $6.00 for a piece 16" x 24". I wish I could say it was something cool I came up with like an old dryer lint trap screen or something.

That's a great idea about the flamer tanks. I never would have thought about CO2 cartriges. I'll have to look around the house and see what I can find. Two sons with BB guns and air pistols......I should be in good shape.

bedtime

Hermon
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:14 PM UTC
Man..somehow I missed all this! Nice bash...it's giving me ideas for the campaign build.
Useful kit ain't it...that's the one I used for my charger el camino bash.
Not to critique, but ya might want to open up the fenderwell bottom edges to accept the new tire size...wouldn't want a blowout after the suspension bottoms out from jumping over a hill while flaming up zombies! I like the "ring" tire build...Casper, who sometimes shows here, does his in discs...this way a smaller OD disc is now a groove and the larger OD can have lugs cut out for treads.
Build on Southern Command!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
Bob, your charger el-camino bash is where I got this idea from. Don't let it go to your head though.
I may open the fenders up a bit. Dunno yet since the ride height isn't final.

Here's a pic of the front suspension. Nothing in this pic is functional or accurate, it's just my attempt to actually get a front axle installed into this kit. I've managed to run out of evergreen rod so I'm down to cutting the ends off of old Q-tips and using the plastic hollow centers for reinforcing rods on the axles.

Next 2 pic's are my scratchbuilt transfer case. Again, not accurate in any way but I had to build something to hang the front driveshaft from. Basically it's two pieces of gift card sandwiched with a 1/48 scale airplane propellar hub on one side and a brake disk and turbo fan on the other.....with some little strips glued here and there.

Gotta do some honey-do jobs now. Maybe have some bench time tonight.

Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
Honey-do jobs can wait till tomorrow.

Finally got my suspension figured out and put together. Had to cut the diff in the front and move the gear housing over to accept the offset in the transfer case. Everything is glued, painted, and weathered at this point so I'm calling the underside done. The mufflers will remain cut just like a redneck zombie truck would be expected to be. The holes for the kits rear suspension alignment will stay as well, cause at this point I ain't gonna fill and sand all that crap in between all the axles, driveshafts, springs and tubing.

This pic shows the finished suspension in all it's scratchbuilt glory. Notice the homemade diff case......not TOO bad I think. At least the driveshaft angles aren't to unbelievably radical. The big "filler" blocks in the front that hold on the front springs and front plow blade will be mostly hidden by the monster tires.

Anyhoo.....most of the hard stuff is done at this point. As of right now I'd say this project is somewhere around 85% scratchbuild and 15& kit. I'm guessing something like 150 hours total build time when she's all done and ready for the killing fields.
Stay tuned and thanks to all you guys for keeping me motivated.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hey Hermon, she's looking REAL good mate !!

A couple of comments . . .

[quote] Honey-do jobs can wait till tomorrow. [quote]

Hehehe, you gunna get in trouble, hehehe

Quoted Text

The holes for the kits rear suspension alignment will stay as well, cause at this point I ain't gonna fill and sand all that crap in between all the axles, driveshafts, springs and tubing.

Since she has no lid, you might just glue some small lengths of tube in and these can be drain holes for any water (or worse, blood) that might collect on the floor pan or tray.

Cheers mate, can't wait to see this in action.

D
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Me?...cool, nice to know some of my stuff inspires others!
Hey, for future reference, you can take strip stock and make your own leaf springs. Round off the sides and ends and make a jig for consistancey and your all set...the campaign build one of yours could be a 6x6 or something-
I figured out how to make everything jive for the campaign....1/32 scale truck/trailer and 1/35 scale turrets - close enough!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
Sweet! I thought about stepping down to 1/35 but all my stuff is either 1/24-5 or 1/48.
Thanks for the tip on springs. That'll sure come in handy later on.

BTW, I'm giving serious thought to converting my big rig EOD truck to a rear track set up. As in swapping out the tandem axles for a set of tracks.....like a big a** semi half track. Any thoughts on how to make the tracks? I have plenty of sprockets and stuff from things I've collected but I gotta figure out something for realistic tracks.

Hermon
PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
Very nicely done! Looking great!

There is only one thing I would fix! I have never seen a zombiekilling machine with a exhaust muffler. I think it should be open tubes up through the hood of the car or something like that?

But keep up the good work! I must admit you have inspired me too!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
Kjell, thanks for the support and for checking out my build.

As for the mufflers.......dude, even in the event of a zombie apocolypse the mufflers have to stay. Here in America, especially in N.C. the Department of Motor Vehicles is waaaay more scary than any mindless zombie hord. I'd rather crap in my moms favorite frying pan than pi** those guys off.

Hermon
PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Ok! I can relate to that! But I think the zombies needs some encouragement to move out of the way of this vehicle! How about some sidepipes or something above the car (smokestacks?) like on some bigrigs. Anyway the exhaust can come out of the car in big black clouds,

I liked the way you made the wheels. I have a future scratchbuild (1:35 scale) where I need some wheels over 3 inches tall (thats 2,5 meters in 1:1 scale......). Your approach might work! Did you make all four wheels from scratch or did you cast them in any way?
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Kjell, go to page 1 of this thread and you'll see what I used to make the tires. Basically there are 4 different sizes of PVC pipe that I glued one inside the other to get the height and thickness I wanted. After that I filled any gaps between the sections and sanded them smooth. Next I sanded and beveled the edges to give it a rounded look. The actual treads were made with a dremel tool and sanding drum. The center section or wheel was just a flat piece of plasticard with small plastic rods for lug nuts. It was all pretty simple but it is very time consuming.

Hope this helped
Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
So while finishing off a 4lbs. box of strawberry twizlers I decided to build a ladder from the truck bed to the top gunners platform. It's yellow because I'm sick of green.

And I also made an ammo box tray, open ammo box, and a belt of 50 cal to feed into the gun. I'm not really happy with the way the belt turned out. Think I'm gonna do another on without the belt....just glue a bunch of rounds together and paint a thin aluminium strip down the center.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
You're a mad man! Now you're dispensing cigars to those zombies

haha, JK

you're really going all the way with the details and accessories with this one. Cool

VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:49 PM UTC
KSO, dude..............that's just wrong on so many levels.

..........but yeah, they do look like little cigars on leash.
I'll shoot these at the old, fat, rich, white, yankee zombies that invade Asheville every autumn.

Hope nobody from the Asheville tourism board reads this.

Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
Well, since certain people made fun of my 50 cal ammo........... ..........I decided to try and fix the whole zombie cigar problem. Put the rounds closer together, did a repaint with bronze and gold (cause I don't have any brass), and did away with the big strip.

Also made a tank for the flame juice. This started out as a plastic candy container my youngest son got in his stocking from Santa. No, I didn't eat the candy.....well I had a couple of pieces......but anyway, I cut off just what I need of it, added a pump to the top which is actually a brake master cylinder from the parts box and put a piece of tube styrene on it. I'll weather it and rust it up later on and add some electrical wires to the pump and a hose going to the flamethrower.

This will go in the bed of the truck next to the ladder I made. Gotta work on the rest of the wheels now.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
Lookin' sweet Hermon, you guys keep giving me ideas for our campaign. And there was no fun being made of your .50 cal ammo, it was purely constructive criticism. It was just that with the spacing of the rounds you would get a "bang . click . bang . click . bang" thing going on. The Zombies would stop in their tracks wondering what the hell was going on, which I suppose would make them easier targets. Now I'm all confused, time for a bourbon.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
It's all good Damian. I was laughing louder than anyone.

As for the campaign, I think I'm solid on what I want to build. It's just gonna be a real pain in the arse to figure out how to do it.

PS, I have a twin boomer getting ready to jump out of the box in 3 more days!

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS, I have a twin boomer getting ready to jump out of the box in 3 more days!

Hermon

Not for the EoD Campaign, I hope. Aren't we supposed to start that in August?

Just a-wonderin'!

Cuhail
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Nope, it's a wingy thing for Damians "twin boom" campaign on Aeroscale.
Did you have a brain fart?

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC

I was thinking twin boom towtruck/wrecker semi. My bad, chillax.

Cuhail
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC
Just a little update. All the hard scratchbuilding is done. I just need to finish up the painting and weathering and various bits of blood, etc. I went ahead and installed 4 wheels and tires I got off Ebay for $4.00. I'll finish the original wheels later but I just have too much going on right now. At least she's sitting level at all 4 corners on the scratchbuilt suspension which is good.

I have some big offroad lights that I made that I'll put in various places along with some a couple of CB antenne.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:32 PM UTC
If something can be SWEET and EVIL at the same time, you just did it !!
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hermon, I think you need to put a 24 pack of beer in there somewhere. Frying zombies works up a hell of a thirst!