Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
ACUTR Zombie chase truck
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:35 PM UTC
Looking awesome course you know a gatlin gun hanging out the side would be totally cool.Great scratch buiding going on.

Build On,
Justin
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
No gatlin gun. I ain't got the patience for making a multibarrel gun not to mention the ammo feed belt.

I am however trying to make a decent 50 cal. So far this is what I've got. I drilled out the larger tube. The smaller one will go inside of it for the barrel. The rectangular piece in back will be doubled, glued together, and hopefully made to resemble a receiver body.

Thats the beauty of a project like this, you can jump around from one thing to the next whenever you get bored or pi**ed off.

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC

Hermon, man, that looks like fun! You're doing a fantastic job. I'm glad ya jumped into this campaign.
You were mentioning using some mesh? Keep in mind that good scratchbuilders LOVE christmastime because there are so many things only seen around the holidays at one of my most frequented supply shops....the Dollar store.
Dollar General, Dollar Store, Everything's a Dollar. You get the jist.

Christmas ribbon...there's usually one or two rolls with the fine mesh ribbon. Green, gold, red, it doesn't matter, it all paints drab just fine.
Ornament wire hangers. The come in a bag or box. They bend easy and have LOTS of uses.
First aid gauze. More than enough to last, for a dollar.
"For Sale", "For Rent" signs. GREAT dollar store item for some thin plastic sheet.

You dig, right.

So, anyway. I like the build. I like the theme. I like the scratchwork. If I could suggest anything? It would be to ditch the bucket seat from the kit and scratch out something rudimentary. But that would be it.

So far, so awesome,
Cuhail
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC
Murphy, great advice! And believe me, I appreciate every bit of it.

About the kit bucket seat...... Funny you should mention that. I'm playing around right now doing just that. I'm making one modeled after a WW2 P-40 fighter. Basically looks like a top fuel dragster seat.

Anyhoo....here is my 50 cal. It ain't the best but I like it. BTW, handle is door handle from kit.

Gotta eat supper. Back at it again in a few minutes.

Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
Got the bars in on the drivers side. Cut and fitted some wire mesh to the inside. I like it so I'll glue it in after the rest of the interior is finished.

Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:39 PM UTC
So here is my scratchbuilt gunners seat. Basically all the little scrap pieces left over from the interior of the truck. I glued the pieces together and drilled some holes in the back and sides. I'll sand it down and round off the edges tomorrow. BTW, the thing at the bottom is a front coil spring from the kit suspension.

That's enough for tonight. Gotta be up at 5:00 in the morning.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC
Dude! Fantastic so-far. Really lovin watchching this one

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:07 PM UTC
Herman, the build is looking good. I really like the .50, dash board, bars in the door, and the seat.

Robert
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:08 PM UTC
Lookin' good Hermon. It's cool to see how yours is developing!

I like the machine gun a lot; if I had more styrene tubes I'd make some of my own.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 03:20 PM UTC

That's pretty much what I had pictured, seat-wise, Hermon. Nice job!

Keep up the build tomorrow and rest well, man! People are crying out for more progress!

Cuhail
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
G'day again Hermon. I'm really enjoying this build, along with Adams. If I wasn't up to my neck in campaigns already you and Adam would be pushing me into having a go at something similar. After all, Mad Max IS an Aussie, most likely one of my sons, and we have the post-apocalypse, high octane, roll-bar-bull-bar-roo-bar, nitrous injected black painted jacked up beastie rigs as taxis here in Melbourne !!

Keep it up mate, you might hook me in yet !!
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hey guys, thanks for all the support on this project. I'm doing this because it's fun, but knowing all you guys are watching and approve makes it really worth while.

I ran into a big snag on the door gunner station. The depth of the passenger compartment, combined with the length of the gun was just too much. If I keep this feature, I wouldn't be able to install bars on that side of the truck. So......I've scrapped the door gunner. I'm planning on making a top level, or "observation deck" type of thing anyway, so I'll place the 50 cal up there to cover the front 180 degrees instead. The original door gunner position was workable but when I mocked it all up the 50 was covering less than say....a 30 degree span. Something like 2:00 to 4:00 position. The plan now is to install the passanger seat and cut an access hole from there to the roof.

I'll do a bit of work and post some pic's tomorrow. Can't do much during the week since I have to be outta the sack at 5:00 AM every morning.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:39 PM UTC
How about mounting the .50 on a curved slide rail instead of a fixed mount point? Perhaps the slide rail could be in a horizontal slot so you could still have bars and/or mesh above and below ??
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:02 PM UTC
Negative D. I actually mocked up something like that but it still didn't look real. The big problem is that the reciever part of the 50 is so long it takes up alot of space inside the truck. Even mounting it at the furthest point possible outside the cab, the back portion of the gun was still hitting the windscreen and rear post.

The passengers seat is now mounted, as are the bars. The 50 will go up top in a crows nest. Won't get much done tonight......it's Biggest Loser grand finally tonight!

Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC
Not much progress tonight guys, sorry. I did manage to make an ammo can for the 50 cal. I'll clean up the edges later and paint it. I put the gun in the pic for size reference. It's pretty close to scale.

Can't really see it in the pic but there is a handle on top of the box. I'll make about 6 or 8 of these and place them in some chainlink tool bins mounted to the outside of the truck bed.

Hermon
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
Nice job on the ammo box Herman. I've been thinking that we may need to start a campaign next year solely devoted to "Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse" once some of these other campaigns wind down.
walkingcorpse
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
thats a great idea
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job on the ammo box Herman. I've been thinking that we may need to start a campaign next year solely devoted to "Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse" once some of these other campaigns wind down.

I'd be all over that like zombies on flesh! Mark at least one enlistment in a Zombie campaign!

Cuhail
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Count me in, I could be your sacrificial SCRATCHBULDING virgin sacrifice to appease the Zombie gods !!

Cheers, D
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
Haha... Damian, it's time for you to get intimate with scratchbuilding.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC
Zombie vehicle campaigh? Absofreakinglutely!!
Post apocalypse campaign? Absofreakinglutely!!

Do you guys have any idea how many sick twisted ideas I have roaming around in my head for "end of the world" trucks and dios? Hell, I'd even volunteer to run a campaign like that.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC
Count me in that would be awesome great work on the can cuda

Build On,
Justin
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
To be honest, having 6 people wanting to enlist in a zombie vehicle campaign before there even is a campaign just shows how far our society has fallen down the sick, twisted cavern of despair. Gotta admitt it'd be fun though.

Sooo........as usual my adult ADHD has prevented me from finishing any one part of this project. That being said, I have gone and made myself the beginnings of a flame thrower. Having no real world experience with flame throwers ( can you believe it, with all the cool crap I've collected over the years...no flame thrower in the closet ) I made one the way I think it should look. The top barrel is for the actual jelled liquid and the bottom is where the ignitor and (propane?) would come out. The two nozzle ends are an airfilter inlet from an Acura Integra kit. The twin handles at the rear are actually the kits upper controll arms slimed down with a tiny piece of evergreeen rod in the middle for hand holds. The big cylnder is a drinking straw. Everything in between is just assorted evergreen rod. The tiny brass fitting at the bottom will have a telephone wire coming out of it representing a hose.

And here is my first finished 50 cal ammo can. The decal on the side is a 1/48 scale P-47 aircraft stencel. I'll put a dull coat on it and weather it when all the rest are done.

Hope this stuff is looking alright to you guys. And thanks for all the great comments.

Hermon
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:43 PM UTC
I would join up for the campaign, just for the fun of it.

Robert
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
Looks as though my Wife and I aren't the only ones who sit around planning what to do if there is a zombie apocalypse. I really had to resist typing "when" instead of "if".

Since I'm totally lazy and unfocused... if you want to run a campaign Hermon it would be totally cool with me.