History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Are we forgetting? Something's wrong!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC
DITTO: Steve and Russ

Robert
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange that they find the money and time to teach religion at school except for Christianity of course.

Hey Darren in school, i learnt about christianity in my primary years, but i preferred learning about Muslims and the hindu religion in (lol) big school, we did do a bit of camparison between christianity Judaism Muslim and hindu religions. Me, Im not religious myself, but i dont mind other religions or cultures, i have had many a discussion amongst freinds asking if they were " religious" ( non specific) and most of them, honest to god, turned there nose up. i think a major factor of the degredation of religion is to do with the fact that young people , ( in their eyes) just have better things to do

lol excuse my ramblings
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
When I read this thread it is becoming more and more noticeble that this is a global (read Western civ.) problem.
Let's face it people; our gouvernments don't want educated people, they want productive and spending people, preferably not too smart, so they can be controled and manipulated more easily.
An educated person is much more likely to start thinking for himself and see the wrongs!
The masses have to be dumb and ignorant, so the top can rake in the cash and wield the power....

There once was a man in history who said:"Die Massen sind dumm (the masses are dumb)" ** .... and allthough I hate to admit it, he is starting to be right more and more.....

I have taken it upon my self, with the help of my wife, to teach my kids... They will know what happened, why it happened and not to fall into that pit, and others like it, again. They will learn how to think for themselves, how to question the things taught and told and to see that there is much more to it than meets the eye!

** No, it was not Hitler!
but Gustav Le Bon (1841-1931) in „Psychologie der Massen“
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Lots of thoughtful opinions that I toally agree with. We can forget about Federal and local government to sponser good education like it used to be. People are pretty much on their own on this one and for the most part it is up to the individual to take care of themselves and not depend on government. What makes me sad is not that so many people can't tell you nit picky things about history, what gets to me is that so many folks do not even have a clue about the basics in general. History has shaped our world. Mistakes of the past should be rermembered lest we make them again. It may not be as fun as a football game or some other distraction but it is much more valuable as a person's feel for the world that we live in..........Al