Place your announcements here please.
Appalling 9/11 Sale Ad at Greatmodels
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 01:56 PM UTC
Well ill just say from the beginning that ii used to to be one of there customers. But not anymore. I have waited to see there apology for the mess they caused. It just does not add up to me..Have read all of the posts before commenting.. The worst thing that has happened to our country since Pearl Harbor and somebody makes a sale out of it. Everybody has there own opinion, which is fine. Ive had relatives from WW1,WW2.Korea,Vietnam.and Desert Storm.I lived acrosss the river from the Twin Towers when i was a kid. Everbody can make there own choices.I have made mine.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 02:38 PM UTC
I haven't bought anything from GM and now probably never will.

What's really sad is that he thought of this "ad" in the first place when he has a son that is a US Army Combat Engineer who likely has or will be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. AND he served in the military himself.

ESSAYONS!
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob, that's not even the most damning quote. In his "apology" he admits that the whole thing was HIS idea:
"On Friday night, just minutes before we left the office, I told our graphic designer to make a quick banner for the deep sale we intended to pursue for next week. I told him "9-11" and "Crushing Prices"."
So this was not a mistake or an accident, it was intentional. He just didn't expect it to be a big deal. Not counting on customer reaction was the only mistake he made.

Oh, geez, I didn't know he actually admitted to being behind the approval of the ad as I didn't read his apology. Gosh, I just can't believe he actually told the guy "9-11 and Crushing Prices." Wow, Matt, that certainly left me speechless! The sad and ironic thing about this is that, as someone else stated, his son is now (or will be) going into harm's way exactly because of 9-11. I wish his son well during his deployment and I hope he talks some sense into his dad.

Rob
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
Look Guys,
I understand why everyone is upset. The ad was horrible and in very bad taste. The guy did apologize...profusely. I choose to forgive him.

I'm sure that it's a huge lack of judgement on his part for allowing the ad to be posted. The owner's (Loic) son is serving in the US Army right now. He's probably going to Iraq or Aghanistan sometime in the future.

I mean....I'm sure he's not anti-American or a terrorist and I don't think the aim of the ad was to get Al Qiada members to buy models!?

Please don't accuse me of being weak because I choose to forgive this guy. I served 4 years in the army and after 911 I chose to go to work for the Transportation Security Administration, to do my part in the war on terror, and I am as patriotic as any of you.
If I thought there was any malice in his actions I would be the first to boycott his business
immediately.

911 is still very fresh in the American consciousness and anyone who thinks that enough time has passed that it's OK to make light of this horrible event is sorely mistaken.
Take this is an example.

Jeff
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC
I understand that no-one is perfect...I understand that he semi approved the use of "911 crashing prices" right before he left the office, I understand he just became a US citizen 2yrs ago{yeah, I actually read the whole thing}, I understand he served in someone elses army, not ours, but his son is in our military.....what I don't understand is why he added all that useless crud in his apology which really took away from it...a simple sorry would have done just fine instead of rambling like he did.
I'll forgive after a while, but it will be a while.........my freedom, my choice, my call.
tmeyer
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 12:50 PM UTC
I'd missed the banner (don't go to Great Models web site a lot), so wondered. Thanks for posting it so I can see it.

You know, you'd think someone who's living here in the US, even if you're not born here, would get the flick. A lot of remembrances and memorials go on around that time. It's about as big a day as Pearl Harbor Day, in a way.

At the same time, if he was in a hurry, he probably said stuff off the top of his head without any thought and not realizing just how deeply and embedded 9/11 is in US psyche. Oh, how that came back to haunt him and will continue to do so!

Part of me's irritated and part of me's just sad and shaking my head. I'll go forward, move ahead, though. He apologized as sincerely as possible. End of story and comment. Thanks for listening, folks.
 _GOTOTOP