Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
your work benches?
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, I totally agree......currently, i'm using a space in the spare bedroom but i've found that SWMBO keeps stuffing junk in there in an effort to get me out of the room......

here's a question, so we spend many hours in the happy place.....so what chair do you use? i've been searching for that perfect, soft, comfy, supportive throne for a while now and havent really found "it" yet....ive seen some people using a wooden chair and cant figure how one turns out after 3 hours on that mother

Well, imagine after 5 hours.....
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt:
What are, and where did you get the two lamps that are sitting on the right and left side of the table. They look very interesting, I would like to see if they would help my desk. BTW nice work area.

Robert

Hi Robert,
The freestanding lamp on the right is an 18 watt Ott-Lite, available at Michael's Crafts or many places online.
The one on the left is an 18 watt Verilux that my daughter brought home for me for free! She works at an eye care group. Both are daylight balanced and glare free.
The folding lamps on the table are all 13 watt Ott-LIte work lamps, again daylight balanced and glare free. They are available at Michael's or online. I've finally eliminated shadows on my work table. I never get eye strain either.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, I totally agree......currently, i'm using a space in the spare bedroom but i've found that SWMBO keeps stuffing junk in there in an effort to get me out of the room......

here's a question, so we spend many hours in the happy place.....so what chair do you use? i've been searching for that perfect, soft, comfy, supportive throne for a while now and havent really found "it" yet....ive seen some people using a wooden chair and cant figure how one turns out after 3 hours on that mother

I went from a wooden chair, to an old office chair, to a new office chair, and finally to a big new office chair. I have no idea how guys work on a stool or standing up. If my hips or back start to hurt, I lose concentration. I've worked for up to 14 hours straight in this baby! The high back is good to lean back, think, and stretch my neck. I got it on sale at Staples.
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 07:26 PM UTC
Hey Tom, here's mine, still a work in progress as we just moved into the new house in June.

jim81147
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
I really envy some of you guys . I noticed in all those pics that I believe I only saw one poster that had a dedicated paint booth but saw most of you had AB setups. Do most of you not worry about having a dedicated station? I realize that in a perfect world we would all have one but in trying to make the best use of a small space I am considering not having one on my bench. It would give me more working room , which would be a huge help for me. Then maybe I could just make a small 3 sided box to spray in and when finished put it under a bench or something.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
It works for me Jim. I shoot acrylics at 5-15 PSI and don't have fumes or overspray. Here's my portable custom made numbered and signed collectible spray booth -
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
Here's mine. A little messy at the moment as I just came off a long build spree. Thanks, "Q"

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Matt Q, my LHS is smaller than that! NICE!
jim81147
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
Nice Matt , I like it !!!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 05:57 PM UTC
Matt:
That is just too many toys for one man, nice cave. I will dream about having my own just like it.

Robert
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 10:21 PM UTC
Nice variety in working spaces here!
Matt, have you ever considered starting a LHS there and give workshops?? Your building space exceeds my livingspace!
I am sure I "showed mine" here befor, but here it gous again... just to level out a few things

My bench (in the kitchen), cleaned up;

My bench while working;

My library and displaycase (in the livingroom). Note the W.I.P-boxes on top.

My stash and sparesboxes in the shed;
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's mine. A little messy at the moment as I just came off a long build spree. Thanks, "Q"

Thats gota be the best modelling cave ive seen ever!

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the compliment James. It only took me 20+ years to get it. Once my daughter moves out I will encorporate the other half of the basement with the 2 bedrooms, and bath as well. I have my 62" LCD TV and 7.1 surround system located over there, but she has all her "Crap" strewn all over the area at the moment. Soon though, soon. Glad you like it. "Q"
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
@ red4 Matt: Lived in Loveland, CO back in the 90's and had a basement the size of yours. I could not talk SWMBO into converting it into something like yours. At least all of my little ones are gone. HA! for now.

Robert
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:06 PM UTC
Yeah, I have an unbuilt 1/35 Dora in the garage. My 13 year old son has the smallest of the 4 bedrooms, and he already knows that when he goes to college in 5 years it becomes "Dora's room"!
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
I have plans for the other side of the basement. Currently there is my sons room (Currently living in Italy with his family and kids) which is a guest room. My daughters room, currently occupied for a few more months, and the home theater/family room portion of it. All total about 1300 square feet of additional room that will get "the treatment" as it were. Planning on a western theme, mini fridge, bar, bar-stools, comfy couch and chairs. Will be perfect for club get togethers, meetings, movie night etc. I could probably move in down here, but I don't thing SWMBO would go for it. lol. As I said above, my daughter currently has all her wedding gifts and .....stuff piled up down there. Her and her husband are looking for a house, but they are young and I'm sure you all can relate to finding your first house. Its slow going, but they are making the best of it. Keeping my fingers crossed they find something before Feb of next year.
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All total about 1300 square feet of additional room that will get "the treatment" as it were. Planning on a western theme, mini fridge, bar, bar-stools, comfy couch and chairs. Will be perfect for club get togethers, meetings, movie night etc.

Your joking right? . I still live at home and I have to use my room, and the dining table when my folks are away I'd kill for some more space right now

CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 02:25 AM UTC
Glad I clicked on this!
Great space Matthew Q. all you need is a cash register for an instant LHS!
Seriously, My entire house is 1100 sq. ft. so I am fully impressed!
Looking to adopt a (considerably) older son?

Cheers,
Charles

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
".....Ah, we used to dream of living in a shoe box......
.....but tell kids today that, and they won't believe you!"
Monty Python
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just spent ten minutes trying to figure out if one wall was a mirror. Seriously.

SCOTT
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
lol. No mirrors here Scott. About 650 square feet total that you can see. In a small utility room on the far right side of the picture I have a few more kits shelved. Yeah it's a large room, and a pain the *ss to clean when it gets really cluttered/dirty etc. Sometimes I wish it were a little smaller for easier maintenence. Thanks, "Q"
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

lol. No mirrors here Scott. About 650 square feet total that you can see. In a small utility room on the far right side of the picture I have a few more kits shelved. Yeah it's a large room, and a pain the *ss to clean when it gets really cluttered/dirty etc. Sometimes I wish it were a little smaller for easier maintenence. Thanks, "Q"

Want to swap Q? .

SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
Matt Q-
THAT- is the best set-up I have ever seen.

Steve
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
Thanks Steve. There is room for improvement though. I need more book space. Currently have everything I have crammed into a couple of shelves. In the process of planning a different layout to include a better, more efficient and larger paint booth.Will probably install some more shelving and update some other areas while I am at it. The room is like my Harley....always evolving, always changning...just not as much chrome! Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
tlivancso
Visit this Community
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hello All,

Well I have been lucky to always have a room to my own as long as SWMBO has one as well for her hobbies.

So here is mine which is on the main floor of our house, although I'm thinking about converting the basement space and moving down there possiblly.

Cheers,
Thom