_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The same hapens to you ?
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
When I began modeling I used to start one kit, airplane or armor, and until I finished it I didn´t start with another one. Now after 4 years that I returned to the hobby, when i´m in the middle of a kit I feel the need to start with another one, and so on. In this days I have four kits in proces (diferent stages - two AC and two tanks) and I´m going to start two new armos kits for the Barbarosa Campaign. ´
It´s fun to build a many kits at the time but you never end them, takes a lot of time to see a finished model. I think maybe is better one by one.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC
I think that's quite common. Most serious modelers tend to build several models at a time. That way they can be building on one while something else is drying.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC
:-) Hehehe,
When I joined the big "A" I had about 32 kits on the go, being here has helped me to finish about 15 kits since the beginning of the year. Some of them were started from scratch, for group builds. I still have some to complete but I don't have aproblem starting new ones as I know I will finish them :-)
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi CSCH!

I know that feeling! 'Till I joined Armorama, I seemed to have a pathological need to leave kits unfinished! There's a pile (literally) of them in my workroom. I've started to call it "The Shelf Of Shame". Meanwhile, I would just keep buying more and more - ready to join the pile...

Armorama has been great for me; although I've only been on board a few weeks, it's given me the discipline I need to actually see a build through to the end.

My first effort is for Holdfast's Battle of Britain campaign, and I will finish it... I keep telling myself I REALLY will finish it!

All the best

Rowan
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
I must admit The BfB campaign really gave me the kick up the backside to actually finish something. Since I joined the Armourama comunity I have actually gotten worse for not finishing kits, I spend more of my spare time reading the posts here than actually glueing and painting! Now if you could start campaigns for the following: Hurricane, 88mm flak dio, FW190, ME109, 1/24 scale spitfire, braille scale dio, I may get around to finishing something lol.
Martin
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
Yup, all the time. As it is right now I have 5 projects going and I started number 6 this morning. Variety is the spice of life so no problems there. :-)
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
I have a bit of the same... Though part of the production probem is the fact that I still have to earn the money for my airbrush. Part of the reason for that is at times my spending drift (on new kits). I have now put a stop on buying kits, and use those I have now to perfect my skills.

Right now I am working on my first photoetch. The kit is the Tamiya 37 mm Flak 37. It is fun, but I start to understand where all the comments about stuck fingers, crazy bends, etc. etc. are coming from. I am glad I wore surgical gloves (a few tiny bits of it are stuck to the kit for eternity now ) For this I use the Eduard set. Next is an Eduard for the 20 mm Flak 38. And then the 75 mm Pak 40/L46 wthe Aber PE. I am really looking forward to that one :-) .

In production:

• Academy Stug IV for paint exersizes.
  • Sd.Kfz 251 Also (partially for paint exersizes and just general exersize).
  • Hasegawa Su-27 D idem
  • Dragon Hornisse OOB. Going to be my first real model.
  • Tamiya 37mm Flak 37 for PE exersize.

Also various figures are in production, for exersize.

Queing up for production:

• Tamiya 20mm Flak 38 for PE exersize
  • Tamiya 75mm Pak 40 for PE exersize, and posssibly first dio.
  • Tamiya Sd.Kfz 7/1 for Operation Barbarossa.
  • Tamiya Panzer IV J with CMK interior. Dio (maybe with Blitz workshop).

All the way at the back of the line are the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 7/2 and the Jagdpanther late.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
Me too, I must admit. I have one armor kit, one figure kit, two dioramas, and 18 ba'jillion ideas just popping out ready to go for the next kit.

I like to have a number of things going in different areas to keep it 'fresh' and different. It does take a bit longer of each, but overall I think the time goes by quicker because of overlap in production and similar steps.
Soldner
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 32 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC
I like building 1 at a time. I want to finish the kit and then stare at it for a while and see what I did right, what I did wrong, and what I could be doing better. Then I take a few days break and start on another kit.

I dont have to much space at my place to leave unfinished models sprawled all over and even if I did, I dont know how much I would learn from never completeing a model. My patience is my own worest enemy so I strive to get that model done. Sometimes I'll spend like 4 days just trying to put on 1 roadwheel. And sometimes I'll model like I have an I.V. attached with Mountain Dew seeping into my bloodstream.

I hope I never get that ugly "Notdoneneverno" virus.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 05:29 PM UTC
More than one kit at a time? Yup! Mostly similar kits. Pz111's and StuG's. Hornaise, Nashorn, Hummel. Kind of a model production line at times. Also, when they bring out that model you've been waiting for for 15 years, just gotta start the darn thing!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
I've far a lot more than your four ongoing kits... It seems that the only way to finish them is to join Campaigns here on Armorama...
Ciao
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
Me too! I have lots of kits and all of them are either on the box or incomplete. I have an incomplete SCUD, S. Hornet, Raptor ,2 Tomcats, 7 Anime Models, 14 Anime Figs, and 5 dioramas! Whew! A hetic schedule! It's hard to study and work on the model!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
Whenever I'm interested in a new kit, I buy it even if I had lots of unfinished kit. It's like stocking for the future. What do you know? That kit may be the last of it's kind in a few years. Paints can easily bought but the kit, no way! :-)
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:18 AM UTC
I have to agree with Soldner, I am a 'one at a time' builder, partly because I like to wholly concentrate all my efforts onto one subject at once but also too because my workroom is very limited in space and I have a hard enough time storing all the stuff I want for the current project. Plus the wife would go ape... :-)

Lee
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
I definatly fit into the category of "several going at once" I was beginning to worry that I had undiagnosed ADD! My problem is that I don't have alot of spare time, so when a kit gets to a time consuming stage, (Painting camo, masking, weathering), it often will get set to the side, and I'll begin working on clean up or simple glueing stuff on another kit. Needless to say I have many kits ready for paint! Oh well, at least I always have something i can do on something or another.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 05:10 AM UTC
I am in a situation similar to Bribo. I don't have a great deal of spare time, so if I hit a stage that will take a great deal of time, it tends to get put off and I will work on another kit suitable for the amount of time I have. Also, if I am not in the mood to paint, I will start building another kit. Currently I have four armor kits in various stages of completion and some figures.
 _GOTOTOP