History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Most Influencial US Military Leader
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
Put on your thinking caps and let us know who is and why you selected him as the US' most influencial military leader. My personal choice is Matthew B. Ridgway. GEN Ridgway turned the 8th Army from a mob in retreat into a fighting force during the later part of the Korean War. Dedicated, tough, fearless leader. My choice hands down.
DJ
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi DJ, I would nominate General James Gavin. Not only did he command the 82nd airborne division with great skill in Normandy and during the Market-Garden assault but he was at the fore, parachuting in with his men leading from the front and not asking anything of his men that he wouldn't do himself.
Martin
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am somewhat preturbed that this thread is narrowed down to just American leaders when the world has know far great military geniuses. My suggestion for the greatest military leader of all time would have to be Alexander the Great, 33years old and he had coquerered most of the know world.... name me an American general that can say that !!!!!

A bit unfair - I think - as American politics and military ambitions have never produced nor encouraged Generals to go out and conquer the world as Alexander did. Whenever they broached such ideals (MacArthur) in the minds of the military or government leadership - they were quickly stunted.

Gunnie
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC
I would say Ulysses S. Grant has probably had the greatest influence on the US military's strategic policy over the years. The US stuck to Grant's strategy of annihilation through the 20th Century, preferring to meet the enemy head-on and destroy him utterly. This created some problems with their British Allies in World War II, who wanted to fight numerous smaller battles around the periphery of the Third Reich to defeat the Germans.

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
I'll modify the topic entry. Post anyone from anywhere who you believe meets the topic criteria.
DJ
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC
Personally, I prefer more specifically pointed questions like this one. It makes it actually possible to answer! :-)

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Personally, I prefer more specifically pointed questions like this one. It makes it actually possible to answer! :-)

Nic

With all due respect, i have yet too see a definitive answer to the question. IMHO the thread would be better seved by opening it to the world as i don't think most people have a good knowledge of American leadership, when you compare it too world history... just a thought mind

Listen, if you want to address the specific topic, please do. If expanding the topic is to your liking then do so at you leisure. Enjoy.
DJ
Torque
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
For the US - General George Washington our first President
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:26 PM UTC
Well first off in response to Phantom Major, what's to prevent you from starting your own topic of the greatest leader the world has ever seen, or the greatest ancient leader or British or the Worlds biggest prima donna leader . AS to the specific topic, I'm very predujiced, Thomas Jonathan Jackson known affectionatly at my old school (VMI) as "fool Tom" but to the rest of the world as "Stonewall. He was the first to use rapid transit (such as it was) to move troops around quickly. He was also daring and innovative (CHancellorsville) and God knows what the outcome at Gettysburg would have been had he been there.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well first off in response to Phantom Major, what's to prevent you from starting your own topic of the greatest leader the world has ever seen, or the greatest ancient leader or British or the Worlds biggest prima donna leader . AS to the specific topic, I'm very predujiced, Thomas Jonathan Jackson known affectionatly at my old school (VMI) as "fool Tom" but to the rest of the world as "Stonewall. He was the first to use rapid transit (such as it was) to move troops around quickly. He was also daring and innovative (CHancellorsville) and God knows what the outcome at Gettysburg would have been had he been there.

Ah. a Kaydet! Jackson's actions in the Valley and the marches of his foot cavalry are well worth noting. Chancellorsville is one of those Civil War battles we seldom recognize as one of the decisive battles of the War. I believe that after snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the Union Soldier and the line Officers said, "that's enough." The maturing effect of this battle is felt at Gettysburg. Read the stories about Dan Sickles and his III Corps during Gettysburg. Amazing tale.
DJ
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC
I would have to go with Robert E Lee. Although I agree that "Stonewall" would make my top 5 list. Lee I would have to say would be at the top. Not only would his soldiers follow him anywhere and do anything he asked in battle, but they also followed him in peace also. His integrity is unmatched by anyone, but often used as an example of how leaders should act today.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
U S Grant... Hands down. Sorry but he was one of the first Americans to realize what the concept of "total war" was about. He realized he could bleed the South to death and not lose the war. Brute force. Find the bastards and lay it on 'em. Wear 'em down. Causalities be damned. I think that every "good" American commander until 1960 took their lessons from US Grant. After that, I think they started to read the papers. If you are going to fight a war, someone is going to get hurt...

Shaun
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
Jim,
Somehow I think if someone had started this topic as "Most influential Military Leader in British History?" you would not have gotten perturbed.

Jim

Quoted Text

Guntruck,
I think you missed my point, i just felt the topic shouldn't have been restricted to American generals only but opened up more by giving people a chance to comment on military leaders around the world. I feel htat this would have enhanced the topic and created more discussion, that was all.

:-)
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 12:47 PM UTC
Purely based on the ever-emerging theme of the gentleman citizen-soldier, I will say George Washington. He also firmly established the military as subordinate to Congress. This held true even during the American Civil War, in which the rebels formed their own Congress before forming an army; that army remained subordinate to it's Congress as well.
clovis899
Visit this Community
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:38 AM UTC
Not an easy question to answer, how in the world can you "rate" a general's performance when each had such different missions and raw material to work with. Howeve, in the spirit of starting a good natured argument I'll nominate a couple just for fun...Arthur Wellesley, who never lost a battle on two continents if I'm not mistaken, against an often numerically superior enemy. Returning to the original question of most influential I would nominate George Marshall who molded the US military from little more than a constabulary force into a superpower in a few short years.

Flame away!!

Coop
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not an easy question to answer, how in the world can you "rate" a general's performance when each had such different missions and raw material to work with. Howeve, in the spirit of starting a good natured argument I'll nominate a couple just for fun...Arthur Wellesley, who never lost a battle on two continents if I'm not mistaken, against an often numerically superior enemy. Returning to the original question of most influential I would nominate George Marshall who molded the US military from little more than a constabulary force into a superpower in a few short years.

Flame away!!

Coop

Coop---Arthur Wellesley? I have to look that one up.
DJ
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Yow! Big topic.

Right now, I'd say the most INFLUENCIAL military leader was GEN William DePuy, father of the AirLand Battle doctrine that the U.S. Army still uses today (in modified form) and has been taught to most of the free nations of the world. It won in the Gulf, twice.

All the hoo-hah day ...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC
Well, I am glad that someone nominated George C. Marshall (VMI Class of "01") Of course being a fellow graduate and him being so lionized at the school... He had to be something. He basically was the man in charge of WW2 ground if you really look at it. Both MacArthur and Eisenhower were subordinate to him. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he the first 5 star? We at the "I" laud him for what he did after the war as Sec Def and Sec State. The only soldier to win the Nobel Peace Prize with his Marshall Plan for Europe.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
Blaster, Marshall was promoted two days before MacAuthur. Supposed Dugout Doug was a bit upset?

General of the Army George C. Marshall: December 16, 1944

General of the Army Douglas MacArthur: December 18, 1944

Shaun

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll modify the topic entry. Post anyone from anywhere who you believe meets the topic criteria.
DJ

Hi DJ ...... long time - no talkie !
I think your question is "dead on " and should be individual by specific country or it becomes to wide open and maybe to contraversal

Though there were others, I would have to call it a tie between 2 of my favorites:
Gen. George Patton of 3rd Army & Gen. Maurice Rose of the 3rd Armored Div.
They both were truly loved by their men and were by all means "a soldiers, soldier." ......They always were up at the front lines with their men, putting themslves continuously "in harms way " from North Africa to Normandy to victory in Germany. Unfortunately Gen.Patton died as he did not prefer to - ( off the battlefield ) but Gen. Rose died a soldier's death - ( shot by the enemy in battle ). The whole thing boils down to, " that both men were TRUE WARRIORS ! ............. THEY LOVED THEIR MILITARY LIVES, THEIR MEN AND THEIR COUNTRY ! ... AND ACTUALLY LOVED THE HEAT OF BATTLE

- ralph
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:28 AM UTC
Ralph--good to hear from you. Two excellent choices for influential military leaders.
Thanks
DJ
clovis899
Visit this Community
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 05:18 PM UTC
Blaster,

I don't believe that Marshall was the first 5 star, that honor goes to Pershing. IIRC Pershing can never be outranked either, he was promoted to General of the Armies, all others who follow with 5 stars are General of the Army. A small thing for sure but just another way that Congress awarded Black Jack for his service to the country. Again, I could be all wet here, but that is what I seem to recall. Can anyone confirm or repudiate?

Coop