History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Most Influencial US Military Leader
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
Coop--I believe you are correct. Now there were distinct titles also presented to Washington and Grant. Does anyone know what they were?
DJ
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:01 AM UTC
A link straight from the horse's (army's) mouth reference the 5 star general question.

Hope it helps.

Shaun

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/FAQ-5star.htm

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A link straight from the horse's (army's) mouth reference the 5 star general question.

Hope it helps.

Shaun

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/FAQ-5star.htm

Shaun--great find. Very interesting!
thanks
DJ

beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Blaster,

I don't believe that Marshall was the first 5 star, that honor goes to Pershing. IIRC Pershing can never be outranked either, he was promoted to General of the Armies, all others who follow with 5 stars are General of the Army. A small thing for sure but just another way that Congress awarded Black Jack for his service to the country. Again, I could be all wet here, but that is what I seem to recall. Can anyone confirm or repudiate?

Coop

Well you have it right but Pershing was also the Only man to get a Sixth Star (Honorary Only), I can't remember the date but it was done but it was done, as well as Grant getting his 5th star(Honorary and Posthumous as well) This wad one either in the 1920's or 30's
I read it years ago in Soldiers Magazine.
HTH
Jeff Larkin
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:21 AM UTC
I'd second Bobby Lee. He led and unified an army of armies, more so than any other military leader has done. Remember, the very existance of the Confederacy was predicated on the independence of the individual states. The individual regiments were aligned more with their commanders and their home states than with an overall country. He was a great strategist who won most of his battles despite being out numbered and out supplied. His final defeat was one of abject attrition. There just weren't enough men with which to fight.

As to his influence...consider how common it has been in the South to name male children after him for a hundred and forty years. If ever there was an AMerican demigod, it was R. E. Lee.

Lest anyone think I'm a redux rebel, I believe the so-called Lost Cause was essentially a wrong headed cause.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
whilst i dont know nearly enough a bout US military history to comment on this subject,
i do agree topics such as this should be kept specific.
however what do you think about debates such as this being started more regularly?
im thinking of topics like, most influencial military leader, most important battle, best tank etc, these could be started weekly for example, and could possibly increase the usage of this forum.
what do you think?

cheers
joe
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
Got to go back to the begin, to the birth of the nation

Gen. Benedict Arnold

Lead the invasion of Canada
Built an armada and stopped the British at Valcour Island
Rallied the troops to victory at Saratoga

Canada- forced the Brits to garrison more men in the '51st' state' taking some pressure off of the Continental Army.

Valcour Island- not exactly a victory, but stopped the Brits long enough so that they went into winter quarters. The Brits originally were going to sail man-o-wars down the St. Lawrence Seaway transport over land to Lake Champlain, head south and transport over land again to the Hudson-
Troops and warships would have cut New York off from the rest of New England, strangling the Continental Army.
By going into winter quarters, pressure was taken off of Washington- who was able to hold the Army together through another winter- and subsequently, hold the Revolution together.

Saratoga- the turning point of the Revolution. The men loved and adored Arnold, he rallied them to overrun the Hessian positions- turning a possible defeat into overwhelming victory- and being seriously wounded as well.
With the victorys at Saratoga, the Northern British Army was eliminated, leaving Washington much needed breathing space to concentrate on the South.

The absolutely horrible treatment of Arnold at the hands of the Continental Congress is what drove him to treason.

If he had not sold out West Point, he would have been remembered as the greatest American general of all time.

Peter
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

whilst i dont know nearly enough a bout US military history to comment on this subject,
i do agree topics such as this should be kept specific.
however what do you think about debates such as this being started more regularly?
im thinking of topics like, most influencial military leader, most important battle, best tank etc, these could be started weekly for example, and could possibly increase the usage of this forum.
what do you think?

I like it Joe. Someone just needs to start the topic is all. It's really quite simple

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
Joe-- I urge you to post a topic and see how it rides with the contributors. We use to have a Current Event Forum that was a thought provoking forum. Unfortunately, we discontinued that productive discussion group. So, use this one to convey your best shot.
DJ