_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Micro-Mark Paint shaker. (my thoughts)
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
Today I received my Paint Shaker I ordered from Micro-mark. it is the Robart shaker and here are my thoughts on it. Just to put in my 2 cents worth because i've heard good and bad about this item.

First thing I did was open it up and plug it in. tried to turn it on.. and Nothing.. the switch would not work. Being the technicaly inclined fellow that I am I opened up the back of the shaker.

The problem was the hole that the on/off switch went through was drilled out enough for the diameter of the switch all the way through. there was a ridge of plastic left at the top. (i don't know if this was intential or not. but it allowed the switch to go through just enough to get the cap on, but not enough to be able to be turned on and off.. so I used my dremal and drilled it out enough for the switch to go through correctly. Problem one solved.

I also got the 110 version because I don't see a need to pay for batteries. And without the batteries the shaker is a very light affair. This became apparent after I put the first bottle of paint in and turned on the shaker. I noticed about a third of the shaking was going to shake the entire paint shaker, and that when I held down the body of the shaker itself the bottle was shaken a little better. So I opened it up again.. there is plenty of room inside.. and taped 2 large craftman sockets from my toolbox in oppisate corners.. closed it up.. started back up and the shaker didn't move a bit.. Problem two solved.

the shaker has a nice size footprint not to large or to small it is aprob 5 1/2 inches x 5 1/2 inches square. Inside the plastic case the shaker is fairly simple. It consists of a small electric motor attached to a cam which revolves inside a small shaft that goes back and forth to shake the paint holder.. there is also just 1 simple on / off switch.

Now as to how it works.

Test #1 was with a bottle of model master enamal. that had been sitting for several months.. the carrier was seperated and on top and the bottom was very thick and gummy.

Results.. shook for a few mins.. opened checked.. was a little think on bottom stirred a few times. put back on shaker for a bit. checked. was perfectly mixed.

Test #2 same deal as above with seperated enamal.. this time dropped a small screw in the bottle. (small screw, nut or bb with work).. put on shaker.. shook for a bit..

Results.. opened and checked paint was perfectly stired..

Test #3 bottle of Tamiya acrylic that looked a bit seperated had on shelf for about a month... put on shaker.. (no screw insereted for this test) (flat flesh was color)....

Results.. Perfect mix first time..

So after a couple of problems at the first Overall I like this product.. although Micro Mark will be getting a note from me about the defect in the one I recieved.

and just so no one thinks I only ordered this out of laziness here is why I got it. I ordered this item for my birthday (wink) and thanked my wife for it..(works for me) because my new job has givin me a near constant low level tennis elbow.. so I have gotten to hate shaking my paints.. and my fingers start to ache when I stir the paint a lot. (very low level CTS)

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Delbert,

THis would make a nice Tips and Tools feature, why don't you make a article (with pictures) of it and I post it for you?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi Delbert

Nice post - I've often wondered if paint shakers are worthwhile. I agree with Roadkill about doing a feature.

Happy Birthday for whenever it was!

All the best

Rowan
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
I've had one of these for some time. I love it. Usually, I put a couple of pieces of steel shot in ieach paint bottle to assist with mixing.
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC
I have a small battery operated paint stirrer that I purchased from Micro-Mark. It works great and I have never had a problem with it. I had thought about the paint shakker but decided on the hand mixer instead.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 03:34 PM UTC
I cut a piece of sprue so that there is a long shaft, and a little "L" on the end. Place long end into a dremel chuck, or one that will fit into a cordless screwdriver. Dip into paint, and stir away. Paint is mixed so much better when stirred...not shaken...IMHO.

Mike

BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I cut a piece of sprue so that there is a long shaft, and a little "L" on the end. Place long end into a dremel chuck, or one that will fit into a cordless screwdriver. Dip into paint, and stir away. Paint is mixed so much better when stirred...not shaken...IMHO.

Mike

Great idea mike. Why didn't you mention this before I bought the battery operated stir stick

Now I have another use for my dremel tool...

Cheers, Michael
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 01:53 PM UTC
My compressor came with a paint stirrer! The compressor shakes and jumps around enough so that any jar of paint I put on top of it is thoroughly mixed after a few minutes #:-)
CARFACE
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi Guy's,
Two rubber bands, two BB's and my $15.00 (US) garage-sale Scroll-Saw make up my mixing equipment. I just deposit the BB's, and secure the paint to the reciprocating arm of the saw, and turn it on for about 20 seconds. No problems yet after two years.

Chuck
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
I have the electric Robert version..Although its light and does hop around..Shaking one minute(withBB) can mix even the most stubborn enamels, worth every penny of $35, especially if you have alot of paints...
 _GOTOTOP