TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
How long until a 9/11 movie?
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
I did not know anyone injured or killed on September 11, 2001. But as an American, I lost compatriots. For this I am outraged. As a firefighter, I lost 343 brothers. I did not know one of them, but I know the job and the lifestyle. For this, I am saddened.

I know that one day a movie will be made. It's sole purpose will be to make someone rich. I feel that the true story has already been shown. If you missed it, it was made by two French brothers who were riding with the FDNY. Their story was shown on HBO, but is now available on DVD. No movie can ever show what horrors citizens and public servants saw that day. Let us remember them and God be with every family who lost a loved one.

Patrick
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
Who are we kidding? As soon as any Holywood company thinks the public is "ready" for the big 911 movie, it WILL be made !
Not only will it be the most controversial movie ever, if this is well made, it will splinter all previous box office records. And Hollywood knows that.
I bet the scenarios are already waiting in the safe, and in their dreams they are already casting the movie and going through the special effects. Just waiting for the right moment.
I hope that time will show me wrong, but I know it won't...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:39 PM UTC
Despite all we say, it is still only a matter of time before someone in Hollywood does it. Probably in the next 10 years when things calm down and people forget the horoor we all felt actually watchng it happen before our eyes. Pearl Harbor was different, there were limited pictures as well as fim of the actual attack. It took a long time to make Tora Tora Tora because of the complexity and lack of super technology. Hell all those Japanese war planes were converted SNJ trainers. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of people that have taped the footage of the planes crashing into the towers and of the towers falling down
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
A few more thoughts on a variety of posts.
THe story of the Titanic was told in several films, long before Lenny Di Capucinno got got in the back seat with Kate Winslet (yeah, that could have happened!). Two come quickly to mind, A Night To Remember in 1958, from Walter Lord's documetary book and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (1964). See http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/educational/teachable_moments/deconstructing_titanic_4.cfm " TARGET="_blank"> http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/educational/teachable_moments/deconstructing_titanic_4.cfm for a comprehensive list.
If we had gone seriously to war after 11 September, the government would have strongly encouraged Hollywood to make movies about that day. Think back to all those WWII movies we grew up on in the early days of TV (showing age). Within months, there were numerous propoganda based dramas revolving around that day and certainly by 1953, From Here to Eternity, [/] based on the James Jones novel surrounded Pearl Harbor with a love story.
I can't imagine the events of that day NOT making it to the big screen. TV has referenced it many times already, [i] Third Watch
did a nice presentation, interviews with the cast and real public safety workers. Without a Trace had a somewhat lurid crazed widower takes hostages. And some other show did something about a kid who lost parent(s) in the towers. Even Sprinsteen's most recent CD dealt with the aftermath.
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Like Jan said, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a complete outline of the plot, maybe they'll take a census to see how much longer they have to wait, but it's coming.
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hopefully never, but probably within 5 years
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
... i hope terrorists won't be entitle to a percentage of the movie rights !
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:15 AM UTC
... when will we see the first 9/11 diorama here ? Are there any scale firefighters made after 9/11 ?
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 02:11 PM UTC

I have been tempted, but haven't bought one yet.

Patrick
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
I have the Warriors set the Verlinden FDNY bust, haven't done either, but really want to as a tribute to those guys.

On the lines of movies, I saw today that the network documentary 9/11 (by the French brothers) is available on DVD. I plan on getting that, that film brought back the feelings from that day.... I have no interest in a dramatized account of this incident.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been tempted, but haven't bought one yet.

Patrick

I built this in the spring of 2002. It was featured in an article in the paper to promote our show. As a result of that, I was offered a good deal on it by the wife of a firefighter who had a tribute to the NYFD in her home.
I always thought the middle guy was poorly scuplted and the guy on the right has a terrible sculpting error on his lip. The kit flag was way too stiff and glossy so I replaced it with a scanned image and added more detail to the base. A frind of mine turned up at the show rith an even better rendition (except, IMHO, for the flag.)
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:16 AM UTC
This topic is almost exactly two years old, but I just got word that a 9/11 movie is in the making.

The director, Oliver Stone, approached my uncle and asked permission for his character to be in the movie. The script is already written. My uncle, who lost many colleagues in the collapse is very upset with the idea, especially since after reading the script he said much of the movie is Hollywood fiction and never happened that day.

Nicolas Cage has already offered to be in the movie.

Since we had talked about this a few years ago, I thought you guys should know what happened.

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
I don't trust Hollywierd to make an "accurate" movie on 911. And if the above is true I ESPECIALLY DO NOT TRUST OLIVER STONE to make an accurate movie. One that shows the years of plotting and fundamentalist/murderous rage of the Islamic Terrorists and the innocence of 3000+ people who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The heroism of the FDNY and NYPD, Port Authority Police and the passengers on the one plane that never hits its intended target.will be dwarfed by the political message that, "America deserved what it got."

Some Americans have forgotten 9-11, it is now a distant memory. Look what is going on at "Ground Zero." Some want a museum to "document" America's problems in the Middle East which lead to 9-11. GAWD Almighty - when will these nabobs realize that the Islamic Terrorists ONLY have ONE thought - World domination by the Islamic religion or death to the infidels...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:34 AM UTC
I was wondering why this old post had been brought to the forefront. I think it's way to soon to start "exploiting" that tragic day. I still have vivid memories of the planes crashing into the towers and watching them tumble down. We can't stop the Hollywood juggernaut from making it, but we can stop the exploitation by not seeing the movie and forbidding our children (who go to what is percieved by them as cool special effects)
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
As I read every posting I understood what everyone had to say and feel about this thread. I too would hate to see a inaccurate movie made. I do agree with Steve (blaster76) that
Quoted Text

We can't stop the Hollywood juggernaut from making it

so true...But if such movie was to be made, it should be done with respect of the familys and friends from that tragic day. . It should tell the stories without all the Hollywood hipe. So how does Hollywood put togather a 2 hour movie with all that was lost, "they can't" and I won't buy into it.

My 2 cents

Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A few more thoughts on a variety of posts.
THe story of the Titanic was told in several films, long before Lenny Di Capucinno got got in the back seat with Kate Winslet (yeah, that could have happened!).

Let's not forget "Titanic The Musical" !!!

All I have is a mental image of people dancing and singing on the deck of a sinking ship.
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:41 AM UTC
Friday, same day that the terrorists attacked London, Paramount announced that it will finance the Oliver Stone movie and the press release confirmed that Nicolas Cage would star. The movie will be based upon the true rescue of the two Port Authority cops by my uncle, whose character will be his real name in the movie.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
Color me cynical but having Olly Stone anywhere near the 911 movie looks really bad from where I'm sittin'

Shaun "Back and to the left, back and to the left" Keenan

Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Matt what department is your uncle with? I know the person who won the medal of valor for rescuing the last survivor from the WTC. I wonder if I know your uncle. If I do small world.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The title was supposed to be 9 11, lets roll!

Found this on imdb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416917/#comment

Looks like it has been done already!
2002 for tv.

I personally think that nothing should be made for 911 the pain will be there for allot of people for along time, if any thing should be done it show a resolute and a strong constitution standing together against these atrocities, and not to give the monsters anymore air time!!
Just my thoughts

redleg
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
Matt what department is your uncle with? I know the person who won the medal of valor for rescuing the last survivor from the WTC. I wonder if I know your uncle. If I do small world.

-My uncle's name is Scott Strauss, he was with NYPD ESU in Manhatten. I can't remember what truck he was then, but somewhere on 21st St. or 23rd St, maybe?