_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Toothepaste for clear parts
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
While I know it's in no way a recent development, I've just never tried using it. Using toothepaste to fix minor flaws in windscreens and canopies, has anybody used this method with success? What does the toothepaste do to it?
Siggi
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Basically the same as automotive micro-compound. It has microscopic abrasive particles in it fine enough to polish glass.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
It works, but it takes a bit of elbow grease. Plus, you have to keep ion rinsing it to check your progress.

I much prefer to use the sanding sticks they sell for polishing fingernails. One type has two grits (one on each side), but I prefer the three-grit sticks with the two coarser grits on one side and the other side the finishing grit (though it looks and feels smooth). You start with the roughest end, then use the next, then finish with the finishing side. You can wipe off the dust in between grits, but I don't think it is really necessary. When you get done with your part, it will look better than it did new.

These sticks are farily cheap, too, and last through many uses. If you don't want to get them in the "beauty" section of the department store (where they are cheap), you can find them in some hobby shops (where there is usually a bit of mark-up).
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
Thanks, I'm always so afraid to sand canopies! I know that I can keep getting finer and finer and eventually polish it, but that first stroke with the abrasive across the clear piece scares me.

Galaxy_FE
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
I know it probably goes without saying, but you've got to use the white toothpaste...or at least not the gel type. I've used it before with good results, but for your money, I think Novus Plastic Polish is the best thing out there. I bought a fairly small bottle15 years ago and it shows no signs of running out soon.

Brad
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
Thanks, but unless it's either free, or so important that I can't get around using it, it won't be found in my tool box. Tragic, really.

_GOTOTOP