Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Fake Marines..
bushman
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC

Also, it is my understanding that there is a detachment of Marines on each Navy vessel in service today. We called the training for that "Sea School" when I was in. They provide security for the ship.

I can't speak for 2009, but in the 80's and 90's only carriers and battleships had a marine detachment onboard. The LCC's probably had them as well. They did provide security on these ships, however the Master At Arms force was the primary law enforcement on the ship and was in overall charge of any security detachments, either directly or indirectly.
Ron W.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, it is my understanding that there is a detachment of Marines on each Navy vessel in service today. We called the training for that "Sea School" when I was in. They provide security for the ship.

I can't speak for 2009, but in the 80's and 90's only carriers and battleships had a marine detachment onboard. The LCC's probably had them as well. They did provide security on these ships, however the Master At Arms force was the primary law enforcement on the ship and was in overall charge of any security detachments, either directly or indirectly.
Ron W.

Same as when I was in, Master At Arms provided the security, and law enforcement for the ship. Our Marines guarded the nukes, provided the orderlies for the CO, XO, and Admirals, and guarded the Brig. Usually was one on the officers brow when in port, but the enlisted brow had the plain old Master At Arms there. They also taught us squids on the "Boarding Party" (Yes we had that back then, don't know about now though) our weapons training. Normally at sea, firing off the fan tail, and during non flying hours, and our targets were normally some empty 5 gal cans of fog foam. On Boarding Party, we worn Grey helmets, they wore OD, and the joke was it was so the sailors know who to follow, and who not to follow in the heat of battle. And I still can't tell the differences in Marine ranking.
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And I still can't tell the differences in Marine ranking.

I think the Marine Corps is the only service that emphasizes on learning each service's ranks and pay grades. I always get asked what a Gunnery Sergeant is and a Master Gunnery Sergean always makes people hurl. In 06 I was tasked with training the ARMY on Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and implementing it into their combatives courses in Yongsan Garrison, Seoul S. Korea. There were only two Marines there with me at the time, So we walked around with our chest out and head high. My Gunny always lit someone up for calling him Sergeant, a common use in the ARMY for e-5/E-7's. We had to explain several times that each rank is different, and appropriately we should be addressed by them. Same thing on the USS Iwo Jima....the junior sailors didnt know any better, Again Marine Corps discipline at its best.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
It's not a discipline issue, more a common courtesy issue. Marines address NCOs by their full rank and the Army traditionally uses the title "sergeant" when addressing Sergeant through Master Sergeant, unless the E8 is a First Sergeant.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I should let my father in law be whatever he wants to be. Thanks to all of you for advice/stories. Hey SSgt, Hollywood Marines are the best, nothing like some Pendleton "hills" to make Marines. PLT 2066 Fox Co 2nd RTB San Diego!!

Is Sheepshit Mountain still there? I crossed it several times while in Staging Battalion before going to Vietnam. Ahhh....the memories!

Semper Fi,
Dave
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess you don't know the difference between the use of the word "mythos" versus referring to stories about the Marines as being "myths". Think "legendary" or "epic" when the word "mythos" is used.

You are absolutely correct. I did not understand the use of the word "mythos". Thanks for the correction.

Semper Fi,
Dave
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess I should let my father in law be whatever he wants to be. Thanks to all of you for advice/stories. Hey SSgt, Hollywood Marines are the best, nothing like some Pendleton "hills" to make Marines. PLT 2066 Fox Co 2nd RTB San Diego!!

Is Sheepshit Mountain still there? I crossed it several times while in Staging Battalion before going to Vietnam. Ahhh....the memories!

Semper Fi,
Dave

If I am not mistaken you are referring to "little agony" or "big agony" in the 43 area or "las pulgas" as they call it. They are still well known by the 1/11th Arty guys. I have a fellow arty devil from the 43 area tell me about using footlockers vice 782 gear "kill". The only babies I had were of course the one and only REAPER, visible about 10 miles North or South of Edson, then we had ankle breaker and the mud slide in SOI. Either way, nothing like bulldozin your way up those beauties.
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 09:41 PM UTC
Got this email this morning from my Drill Instructor, (yes I keep in touch with him), This is pretty appropriate for this forum, Here is the story :

Another poser!

GySgt Ableman was keen enough to spot this douche-bag walking through the Reno Airport in full dress blues with gloves and cover on. He stopped him near the baggage claim and running into three Drill Instructors wasn't something this guy had anticipated.
If any of you know Gy Ableman, this kid was lucky to leave with all his teeth intact. From the get go, it was obvious this kid was not a Marine. He claimed to be a PFC (wearing LCpl chevrons) and could not explain what a PFC chevron looked like and then couldn't explain the NCO stripe on his trousers. He had a collar emblem in the middle of his barracks cover and his belt was sticking out. No ribbons or badges, his trousers were way too long, not to mention he had on Sketcher boots instead of dress shoes and a civilian belt. We found this out after we demanded that he take off the blouse and cover.

Turns out he bought the uniform from a surplus store and his dad is a retired Navy Chief. Reno is a super-pro military area and this guy was soaking in the atta-boys. Lot of posers out there, watch out!

Know any recruiters in the San Diego and Reno areas, send them a warning to watch out for this turd.

Looks normal-ish

Something is not right...: (notice the knife hand)

What is he thinking?:

turd

This guy is Mr. John Rodriguez/Ramirez....they found the Master Gunz blues, CWO5 EOD Alphas, and Maj Marpats......full blown fake.

dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks Alex for showing us the funny side to something that causes so much aggravation. ANYBODY with ANY military service can tell that the first guy looks like as sack of [auto-censored] the way that uniform is fitted. As for the second guy, anybody with all those badges medals etc. generally avoid cameras if they happen to be earned. Yes it cheered me up,I´ve been away with an anuerism or whatever lodged in my brain.Bright lights & noise give me terrible headaches & I even stopped smoking. Can´t wait to get back to my models.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
I know a guy for about twenty years now.....and he was supposedly shot down over Viet Nam where he sustained permanent injuries to his back and legs. His stories never seemed quite as informed as a real military guy would be. What got my attention was that he was shot down in an F-16. I thought the fancyest thing going at that time was the F-4 Phantom. In conversations about airplanes and stuff , it seems that I knew more than he did and I was in the Navy in an engine room , later to reenlist in the Seabees. But anyways unfortunately these guys do exist....I guess they need the attention.
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 01:09 PM UTC
October 13, 2009
UPI
DENVER -- A suspect has been arrested in Denver and charged with stolen valor for allegedly fabricating stories of his heroism in a U.S. Marine uniform, the FBI said.

Richard Strandlof, a former mental patient, is the first person in Colorado to be charged under the 2006 Stolen Valor Act, which provides for prosecution of people who pretend to have won military medals as members of the armed forces. He was arrested Friday, the FBI said.

Strandlof had said he was a Marine who survived the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the Pentagon and survived again when a roadside bomb went off in Iraq, killing four fellow Marines. He said that explosion left him with a metal plate in his head, CNN reported.

Strandlof traveled around Colorado at the sides of politicians, speaking on behalf of veterans at the state Capitol, and formed the Colorado Veterans Alliance. The organization reported him to authorities after members became suspicious of his claims

He told CNN his real name is Rick Duncan and he was at a San Jose, Calif., homeless shelter on Sept. 11, 2001.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:44 AM UTC
We had a talk radio show host here in the Boston Area on the local FM talk station talking about when he was a Navy SEAL, he did it twice in the space of about half an hour. He made one of the lamest, most insencere mea culpas I've ever hear on the air after the station got complaints about it. I worked with a troll who claimed to have been bumped immediately to SSGT from SPC because he was holding an 18D30 slot (no Q course needed). Strange how all this happened after I came back from Iraq in '03, when his Guard unit got called up about 6 months later he did everything he could to get out of the deployment, and wonder of wonders, it was an aviation company. I just listen to what these trolls have to say and haven't felt the need to out them, but I have been sorely tempted
on occasion.
USMC0491
Visit this Community
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC
I say the wanna-be/fake Marines need a beatin. You dont see them pretending to be bus drivers, mailmen...etc. There are plenty of occupations in life that they can pretend to be, being a Marine is a calling. I use the word "calling" cuz being a Marine isnt a job...its a frame of mind with a paycheck...i was kicked around and hazed for 13 weeks to be called a Marine and will do 110% to call out or smack fakers.

SEMPER FI,

Tony (Gy B)
WEFITE4U
Visit this Community
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:17 PM UTC
A few weeks ago my wife (perviously also a Marine) noticed a "Marine" at the New York Veteran's day parade whose uniform wasnt quite right. She sent me a few e-mails via her phone (i'm deployed) to make sure her suspensions were correct. She ended up stepping out of the parade to "call him out". If my wife can do it, i think anyone can. Most of these people will fake it until someone catches them. Most of the time, all it takes is someone letting them know that they are caught.
"Mike C", you claim that you would never be a faker, and you wouldnt call yourself a Marine before you actually became one yet you have a Staff Sergeant rank displayed on your posts. I can tell you that i find that disrespectful, and it does lead people to believe that you are a Marine, and a Staff Sergeant. If you dont rate it, no matter what rank, title, or emblem, you shouldnt display it.
I am an active duty Marine Gunnery Sergeant and have to explain what a Gunnery Sergeant is almost every day.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 03:27 PM UTC
Brian, i was at the parade i think i saw marines in uniforms but i cant be certain, JROTC cadets dont know nothing about marine uniforms . Dont Marines have that "face" you can tell apart from. But still i hate people who would impersonate veterans just to get attention. MY fist likes giving attention if a phony wants it so badly
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Mike C", you claim that you would never be a faker, and you wouldn't call yourself a Marine before you actually became one yet you have a Staff Sergeant rank displayed on your posts. I can tell you that i find that disrespectful, and it does lead people to believe that you are a Marine, and a Staff Sergeant. If you dint rate it, no matter what rank, title, or emblem, you shouldn't display it.
I am an active duty Marine Gunnery Sergeant and have to explain what a Gunnery Sergeant is almost every day.

Brian, every member is allowed to pick an arm of service to display. It comes with membership, and the settings are located in your profile settings. The ranking is according to the number of post. So being a gunny in real life, you wouldn't have a stripe here with 16 posts. It's been that way since the site started 8 years ago. Some young people pick the Marines, other pick the Navy, or any other branch of service, US or foreign that they are proud of, and may someday join. So instead of putting down a youngster, try encouraging them.
OH--- Yes I was in the Navy...... Only a fool would think I'm actually a Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, (That Honor goes to MCPON(SS/SW) Rick D. West), mine comes from having over 13,000 posts. And I've been out of the Navy, longer than you have been in the Marines, and my service years were probably before you even knew what a Marine was.

"Non sibi sed patriae"=Not self but country.
WEFITE4U
Visit this Community
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
I stand corrected, and i apologize to Mike C. I completely forgot about the post count having something to do with that icon. Obviously i dont post often, and the only reason i responded to this one is because the subject annoys me. Again, i apologize to Mike C and anyone else who i may have offended.

As a third generation Marine, i have been around the Marine Corps my entire life. I applaud and respect your service, but does the fact that you served in the "old" Navy make your service more worthy or meaningful then mine? It would appear that i have offended you with my post. If that is the case, i apologize. But i do have to thank you for reminding me why i do not normally respond to posts. Correcting my mistake wasnt enough, you also had to drop the hint that because i didnt serve in World War II, Korea, or Vietnam the service i have given my country is not the same as yours. Interestingly enough, I have served in the current combat zones, and i have defended the same freedoms that you have. You write "So instead of putting down a youngster, try encouraging them." and then mock the fact that i am younger then you. Maybe you should take your own advice.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stand corrected, and i apologize to Mike C. I completely forgot about the post count having something to do with that icon. Obviously i dont post often, and the only reason i responded to this one is because the subject annoys me. Again, i apologize to Mike C and anyone else who i may have offended.

As a third generation Marine, i have been around the Marine Corps my entire life. I applaud and respect your service, but does the fact that you served in the "old" Navy make your service more worthy or meaningful then mine? It would appear that i have offended you with my post. If that is the case, i apologize. But i do have to thank you for reminding me why i do not normally respond to posts. Correcting my mistake wasnt enough, you also had to drop the hint that because i didnt serve in World War II, Korea, or Vietnam the service i have given my country is not the same as yours. Interestingly enough, I have served in the current combat zones, and i have defended the same freedoms that you have. You write "So instead of putting down a youngster, try encouraging them." and then mock the fact that i am younger then you. Maybe you should take your own advice.

I sleep very well at night, knowing you are doing your service now.

"Non sibi sed patriae"
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gents,

I think it may be time to take a deep breath and have a beer. One of the difficulties of a site like this is that some of the statements can be easily misunderstood and discussions of sensitive subjects can get unnecessarily heated.

Often when discussing real-world issues rather than modeling, it is necessary to establish one's bona fides. I think that is all that Dave was trying to do when he identified himself as an old sailor.......as opposed to being a wanna be. Sometimes it is important for folks to know your background in order to place their comments in context. I doubt that any sane person would take it upon themselves to actually malign a Marine Gunnery Sergeant, regardless of when they served.....absent suicidal tendencies.

Gunny, I agree with you that this "rank thing" on the site is pretty difficult to comprehend for a real Marine. (Call signs are another of my "favorites" on here.) It's just the way they run the site. I think Grumpy did a good job of explaining it.

Semper Fi,
Dave Althaus
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC

(Dec. 14) -- Steven Douglas Burton wore the Marine Corps uniform proudly. He had rows of medals, including a prestigious Navy Cross, a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star.

Burton pleaded guilty to a single count of the unauthorized wearing of a military medal. He faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine for violating the Stolen Valor Act, which prohibits wearing an unearned medal or falsely claiming to have earned one.
Burton is one of five men -- and the second in two weeks -- successfully prosecuted in California since the 2006 law toughened penalties against fraudulent claims of heroism. That is the largest number of phony heroes prosecuted in any state, said independent watchdog Doug Sterner, who operates the Home of Heroes Web site in Pueblo, Colo.
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
Kenneth Jerome Nelson was once celebrated as a war hero and the unofficial caretaker of a monument dedicated to Vietnam veterans in the shadow of the California State Capitol.

Now, he’s known as a liar.

The veterans activist pleaded guilty Monday in U.S. District Court in Sacramento to wearing a Silver Star that had not been awarded to him, a misdemeanor. Nelson, 60, will be sentenced March 1 to a violation of the federal Stolen Valor Act, which prohibits wearing unearned military decorations, authorities said.

Authorities said they determined that Nelson wore a Silver Star, the nation’s third-highest valor award, and claimed to have earned three Purple Hearts for wounds sustained in combat. In reality, he enlisted in the Corps in 1977, but lasted less than two months before being discharged as a private from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, Marine officials said. He did not graduate from boot camp.
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
A former Marine corporal and police officer has avoided jail time after pretending to be a war hero, but he will never serve in law enforcement again and must serve 200 hours of community service and 12 months of probation, authorities said.

Eric Piotrowski, 41, of Elk Grove, Calif., was sentenced Monday in U.S. district court in Sacramento, Calif., for violating the Stolen Valor Act, which prohibits falsely claiming or wearing unearned military decorations. He will be required to perform his community service at a veterans hospital or similar facility, U.S. authorities said in news release.

Piotrowski pleaded guilty on Sept. 15 to claiming a fraudulent Silver Star, which he said he earned for braving direct enemy fire while covering an antitank team in 1991 during the Gulf War. U.S. Attorney Michelle Rodriguez previously told Marine Corps Times that under a plea agreement, a felony count of lying to FBI agents investigating the case could be dropped in exchange for him serving the community service, which she called “poetic justice.”

U.S. authorities also ordered Piotrowski, an officer with the California Exposition & State Fair Police Department at the time of his May 8 arrest, to turn in his peace officer’s certification from the state of California and banned him from serving in law enforcement ever again.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In reality, he enlisted in the Corps in 1977, but lasted less than two months before being discharged as a private from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, Marine officials said. He did not graduate from boot camp.

Now that's something I don't understand.
If he didn't graduate from boot camp-- how could he be discharged as a Marine Private? I always thought you weren't a Marine until finishing Boot Camp
When I was in, anyone who didn't graduate BootCamp---- was simply discharge as "UNFIT FOR MILITARY SERVICE" and I don't believe it had any rank attached to it.
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC
Dont know about the Marines But I enlisted a kid into the Army He went in with my youngest son. He went to bootcamp as a E2, He did not finish and was discharged still as a E2
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
That's what I believe is true as well. When you enter as an E1 of whichever branch, they may indoctrinate you to believe you don't have a true title, but officially an E1 has rank whether it is Private (Army, Marine), Seaman Recruit or Airman Basic.

There is no "no rank" status in the military. Even those convicted in a military Courts-Martial get reduced to E1, forfeiture of pay and allowances, etc. (if ordered by the judge or jury panel-I spent a year and a half on a jury panel, I am quite familiar with this area).

The kid who raises his hand and takes the oath gets whatever rank he enlisted with at that time. It's just an easier process to discharge recruits during their initial entry training.