Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Fake Marines..
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In reality, he enlisted in the Corps in 1977, but lasted less than two months before being discharged as a private from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, Marine officials said. He did not graduate from boot camp.

Now that's something I don't understand.
If he didn't graduate from boot camp-- how could he be discharged as a Marine Private? I always thought you weren't a Marine until finishing Boot Camp
When I was in, anyone who didn't graduate BootCamp---- was simply discharge as "UNFIT FOR MILITARY SERVICE" and I don't believe it had any rank attached to it.

according to the Marine Corps Seperation Manual or MARCORSEPMAN as its known, if the recruit involuntarily is removed from training i.e. medical injuries, emergency situations involving the Next of Kin or NOK, they will be discharged at the no higher pay grade of e-1, they also do this for Officer candidates. Sometimes these motivators are injured and cannot recover or be put to full duty. doesnt mean they couldnt hack it, even though we all know some cant. So the Marine Corps gives them their E-1. Now, for those that are Malingering, Unfit for duty, unable to adjust, or just sh*t bags, they discharged at the rank of E-1 OR E-0 (recruit status) Ive seen a couple of DD214's with this on it when I worked in the separation center in Pendleton
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks Alex for clearing that up.
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC

January 07, 2010
The Roanoke Times, Va.
Even as he pleaded guilty to inflating his military record, Thomas James Barnhart insisted he'd received a Purple Heart.

"I was given a Purple Heart with no paperwork in Vietnam, so it was as if I had made up the award myself," Barnhart, 58, said Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Roanoke.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Jake Jacobsen said Barnhart, who lives in the Norfolk area, didn't stop with one Purple Heart. In paperwork filed when he transferred from the Navy to the Coast Guard, then in applications for disability benefits, Barnhart claimed an increasing array of honors. Ultimately he said he'd been a Navy SEAL, earned five Purple Hearts -- each supposedly marking a combat wound -- Bronze and Silver stars for valor, and more.

Barnhart's case echoed that of Randall Moneymaker, who in March 2008 was convicted of federal fraud and theft charges linked to false claims of combat missions and wounds that gained him a job as an Army recruiter and veterans disability benefits.

Jacobsen, who had prosecuted Moneymaker, said Barnhart also improperly sought benefits. In 1991 and 2005, Barnhart told Veterans Affairs interviewers tales of combat missions and a pilot dying in his arms. He said he'd been nominated for the Medal of Honor, the highest award for valor.

All of that was bogus, Jacobsen said.

The prosecutor agreed that Barnhart was in the Navy from 1969 to 1979 and the Coast Guard until 1990.

But investigation showed only that Barnhart earned a medal for offshore duty during the Vietnam War. There was no record of combat or combat awards.

Barnhart pleaded guilty to violating federal Stolen Valor legislation by falsely claiming to have been awarded medals. He also pleaded guilty to a felony embezzlement charge tied to $13,923 in disability payments for supposed post-traumatic stress disorder.

In a short statement, Barnhart said he'd given the wrong reasons for why he suffered from PTSD, but seemed to defend the diagnosis itself.

Judge James Turk accepted Barnhart's guilty pleas and noted that his plea agreement said he would repay the disability payments along with whatever fines and prison term might be imposed. He scheduled sentencing for April 8.

After the hearing, Jacobsen, who served with the U.S. Army Reserve in Iraq, said military veterans, like fishermen, are prone to exaggeration. But falsifying service records for financial gain is "just galling," Jacobsen said.

So is claiming false honors during wartime, he added.

"You've got the real sailors, soldiers and airmen out there putting their lives on the line every day," Jacobsen said.

He said authorities were alerted to Barnhart's false claims by a group of veterans who operate the Web site www.pownetwork.org. Mary and Chuck Schantag, who run the site, could not be contacted Wednesday.

Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran from Colorado who was a leading advocate for the 2005 Stolen Valor legislation, said Barnhart's case shows the need for Congress to push the military to keep better records of medals such as Purple Hearts.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
I remember talking to someone years ago who claimed that he had been a US Marine, yada yada. Just to do a quick check on his story, I asked him if a Marine Captain and a US Navy Captain used the same insignias. He answerer "Sure, they woth wear RR tracks". That verified my hunch I left it there, but I find it very unlikely for a US Marine not to know the US Navy ranks.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC
Some of those yo yos are mentally ill and use stuff like that to feel worthy in their otherwise unhappy, insecure and delusional life. I feel bad for them. But the ones that do it just to get one over on the rest of us , particularly the Marines, I say expose them for the liars that they are. Just wearing the uniform is bad enough, but when they fabricate a story of heroism they deserve the full weight of the law. There are a lot of wannabes out there that live their lives in delusional worship of heroes be it fictional characters or in this case Marines.They lack the courage to act out their dreams. Shame on them and thank you so much to Marines and other servicemen and women who serve our country wherever they are stationed. You are the ones who really do have the courage......................................best regards , and thanks Marines..........................Al
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 09:04 PM UTC
I am not in the service(and never will be, due to being shot) and have great respect for those of you who are still and have served. I think anyone fraudulately claiming to be in the military should be dropped off in Afghanistan with a knife and a new tattoo of the American flag with the caption of Allah across his forehead.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC
I agree with you Matt, but how do you separate the mentally ill ones from the ones who are just plain A holes. In WW II a lot of guys got tagged as cowards because they broke down. Now we realize that Post traumatic syndrome is real and the person is a casualty of sorts and not a coward. I am totally on board with you on this one as long as it is determined that the offender is not mentally ill.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 06:26 AM UTC
I'm mentally ill, but know better than "volunteering" to go to Afganistan with only a knife.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
LOL....................too funny.......... i think I just peed my pants...........
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
I've seen this in some strange places. For example, when I was in Afghanistan we went out on a mission that happened to be in the same area as a mission with the Agricultural Development Team, well as per usual we got hit and got into a small TIC. We went back to the bigger FOB where these ADT guys lived to get some chow and one of them was in the chow line in front of my buddy talking all this smack to some SeaBee about how he was just in this big firefight. In reality the ADT was 2 clicks away and only heard the gunfire. My buddy, who is a cop in civilian life laid into this kid pretty hard, as he should. I always thought it was funny to see an E4 getting lit up by an E3 who had more common sense and experience than he did.

As to the uniform thing, don't even get me started. I saw some fat female boot E2 (Army) walking around the mall yesterday, well, more like waddling. Of course there was no DUI on her beret, or patches on her sleeves. Then I went to the Yankees game last night and saw another E2 in uniform with no DUI or patches. They need to make a morale patch that says attention whore just for these people.

Steve
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
a real marine can spot a fake a mile away. as example, the pics on page 2, i didnt even have to look for uniform mismatches to tell he wasnt a marine. obviously, the blood stripe and the LCpl chevrons help seal the confirmation. first thing that i saw was the giant bag of a** standing there wearing pants that are baggy enough to fit two people in. those definately arent the bates brand shoes that you would have with that uniform.
another thing that tipped me off is the lack of ribbons and shooting badges. as the other marines know, you HAVE to qualify at the rifle range in boot camp. That wasnt even the first thing i noticed. since its a time of war, your given a freebie ribbon. he obviously lacks that one.
one thing the marine corp prides itself in is its history. another easy way to spot a fake is start drilling them with marine corp history questions.my ex-wife, who was also a marine, she had a guy trying to pick her up recently using the "im a former marine" line. little did he know that she knew better too. the guy told her that he went to bootcamp and ocs training in fort benning or some crazy place. i dont think it was fort benning, but it definately wasnt a marine corp depot.
i would honestly have a hard time holding myself from doing something drastic if i saw one of these fools impersonating a marine. i would definately make sure that everyone in the surrounding area knew he was a fake before i literally threw him out of the building.

if they want to wear the uniform, enlist. until then, they have no right to say they are something they havent earned
sgtSprue
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thank you for posting this. This has opened my eyes to a hole new issue. It makes me sick to see people try and ride on the coat tales of others who deserve the honor. Im from Reno NV and to see some guy try and pass as a Leather neck in my home town pisses me off.

Semper Fi
Devil Dawgs

Sgt Dohoney
Lima Co 3/5
93-97
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC
Next we'll get those whacks claiming to be Space Marines or Imperial Storm troopers....

Anyone that is currently serving, should know not to publicly post information about themselves online.... Ever... Terry Taliban, Ivan and Jimmy Chung are always watching.... So if we do get anyone boasting about service then the likelihood is that they are bull pooing.

We don't get many impersonators in Scotland, but we do get plenty folk who drop out of ITC Catterick then claim to people on civvi street they are ex reg. That riles me up!
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 11:16 AM UTC
I'd like to say I'm surprised but living in Hereford (home of the SAS) we do have our run of fakes. I am always horrified by these fakes and at least in the States you have quite a good law, The Stolen Valour Act does what it says and I am glad that this sort of behaviour is dealt with.

I have met more ex SAS than I can shake a stick at and yet I have a friend whose son claims to have 'worked alongside' the SAS. When I spoke to his son he was very quick to be busy or to get elsewhere. Every current/ex serviceman (or woman) can spot/smell/sense a fake at 100m. Maybe we should send some of these fakes for a bit of service life....... I mean we all have enough 'enchanting and interesting' places they could go and sample the life they claim to have had.

Regards to all who are still 'In' and of you're on tour/deployment stay safe.

Brian
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 03:36 PM UTC
I really have some serious pity for posers, because in their own world, thats the only way they can get the attention they crave. Instead of stepping up and earning the right to wear the EGA, they walked into GI JOES, and BOUGHT IT. Then they put it on and they walked around fooling SOME people into thinking they were all that . Those of us who have, dont need to show off.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
wonder if the posers realize how many former marines there really are? its not like they are in a world of their own (or are they), where they are the only ones that know that they are fake.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 01:15 PM UTC
Cpl, there are NO former Marines!!! CMC just last year established it as POLICY that " once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine!" . I just hope the posers know this and how easily it is to spot a fake, previous pictures as a case in point.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
once a marine always a marine has always been around. but did they did CMC do something differently with it?
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 03:53 PM UTC
nm, i found it online
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC
Yup we are now officially Marines "in another stage of their careers."

Ouhhh Rahh!

G
ArmorAddict83
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 12:03 PM UTC
i'm kinda jealous i've never met anyone who wanted to pose as a cannon cocker lol. i feel left out. 13 bravo cannon crew member and proud of it. served on m109a6's and m777 155 towed howitzers. U.S. Army
Kaleun
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 05:10 PM UTC
I was never Special Forces. The greatest honor I can claim is having been infantry (11 Mike - Mech Infantry) my first four years, before switching to Military Intelligence so I could get a job when I get out. I was never Airborne, Ranger or anything high speed like that. I have four deployments under my belt (Kosovo, Twice to Kuwait, and once to Iraq). Even so, it makes me darn near pop a brain vessel when some cowardly candy a** claims to have served without paying the same price in sweat & tears that I have. It's soon coming to the point that if I encounter many more of these idiots, they're going to wind up in the hospital. I'll get off my soap box now.

SGT Eric Shuping,
US Army
Removed by original poster on 09/21/11 - 04:12:24 (GMT).
Kaleun
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 05:15 PM UTC
Family or not, anyone who claims military service when they're not, insults all of our service and deserves to be exposed as a fraud, beaten to a pulp, etc. The family will understand and if they don't explain it once, making it clear to them that you're going to explain it...ONLY ONCE.

Just my two cents

[quote]This may be a case of choosing which hill to bleed on. You know he's full of so just let it go. Keeping relative peace within the family may be a loftier goal than trying to expose him. If he brings up his "service," change the subject or leave the room.