Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Fake Marines..
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
You're in a tough spot. I would never call another Marine a "soldier." We weren't trained that way. Also, I don't remember that there were any Marines in Viet Nam/Cambodia in 1978. I had an employee that died, and we found that he had a lot of Viet Nam Vet paraphernalia in his possessions. I wanted to make sure he got his measure of benefits (military honors,etc). I was sure that he was not a Vet, but to be sure, I called the VA (at the National Cemetery here in San Bruno, CA), and asked them to check by his name and social security number, which they did while we were on the phone, and they cross-checked by other info, and came up empty...No Service. It bothers me to deal with a liar, especially when I read the names of brother Marines I served with on the wall in D.C....one really good H.S. and college Baseball Player, and one who wanted to study art after his time in the USMC. That being said, if you want to check to confirm your own sanity, go ahead and find out (I would want to know), then keep it to yourself. Between your mother and your wife, it would be truly difficult at this stage in life to bring this out for air. It will be difficult to hide when the family would want Military Honors at a funeral. "Colors seen by candlelight are not the same in the day." As for my experience, I destroyed all of the "Vet stuff" before his daughter came out for his funeral. His brother already knew and had kept quiet for a long time. I also should mention that I own a funeral home and have seen the situation you and I have described unfold in front of friends and family at a funeral. If there is anything I can help you with, or you would like to amplify this, IM me and I'll get back.

Semper Fidelis: "Always Faithful: To your God, to your country and to your Corps...in that order." S/Sgt Gary A. Radmall, my D.I. 1965, San Diego USMCRD

Matt

Also, it is my understanding that there is a detachment of Marines on each Navy vessel in service today. We called the training for that "Sea School" when I was in. They provide security for the ship. there is a Navy recruiting ad on TV today that shows an aircraft carrier with all hands lining the the sides of the flight deck. As they pan toward the bow of the ship, there are the Marines: lined up across the bow, standing proud (as are all aboard). To all of you out here who have served or are serving: Thank You, and Welcome Home each time you come back; America is proud of you.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 05:06 AM UTC
You could confront him but I don't think anything good would come out of it other than a little personal satisfaction for exposing the guy. You already know he's full of poop, and anyone else who has served will know it too. I would just change the subject whenever he wants to talk about the military with you.
retiredmarine
Visit this Community
Charente, France
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Alex, I can truely sympathise with you, in the situation that you find yourself in. Being a retired Royal Marine from across the pond, we have the same problem, especially with the current situations in Iraq and Afganistan. All the 'wana bes' say that they were here and there but when the rubber hits the tarmac, they all go and hide. I moved to France to ''retire'' back in 1997. I came across a guy with the 'talk' slang words for this and that, what a soldier would use and implying that he had been a member of the SAS. He even questioned my being a member of the Corps. I was a bit livelier a few years ago and still had contacts in the right places, so using the info I had from him I did a check and bingo a fraud. The next time I saw him, we did attend the same church, yes a church. I had photographs of myself in uniform which I showed him. Then I showed him the details that I found out about him..... I have not seen him from that day, I was not public with the information, he even moved back to the UK. Job done.
I belong to the RMA (Royal Marines Association) and the SBSA (Special Boat Service Association) and the latter, I had to be introduced by a member who was serving or who had served in the SBS and who knew me. I was 'only' an attached Marine serving alongside the SBS for 5 years. Even the SBS have the problem of 'frauds'.

Even the Royal Marines have Marines serving on board ships, mostly our in fleet amphibious ships, for carrying Commando Units.

Regards Mike
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
Like Mike i have experienced the same problem with someone i had met at a place i worked who claimed to be ex SAS. I asked him what his mother regiment was and he replied 2 Para, well this was his down fall as the dates in which he claimed to be serving in 2 Para were the same dates i had been serving as a member of that battalion, when i informed him of this fact he went a deep colour of red and left the building, never saw that idiot again after that.
Its not against the law in the U.K anyway to falsely claim to be a serving or ex serving member of the armed forces, it is however illegal to wear awards falsely which a guy here in the U.K recently found out as he went around memorial sevices posing as an ex Para wearing red beret,medals and all.

I pesonally take it as a kind of wierd compliment that someone would want to lie to that extent to pretend to be something i know i genuinely was, still makes me want to give the person my personal opinion though .

So Alex you are not alone in this one and there will always be people who want to lie or live in a fantasy world to make themselves feel better for their failings.

Steve
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Google Stolen Valor and you will find it is a common practice to claim ficticious medals and false military service. I've talked to former "soldiers" who didn't know the difference between a captain and a corporal.

That is funny.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Google Stolen Valor and you will find it is a common practice to claim ficticious medals and false military service. I've talked to former "soldiers" who didn't know the difference between a captain and a corporal.

That is funny.

A corporal has one more promotion under his belt.
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 07:56 PM UTC
I guess I should let my father in law be whatever he wants to be. Thanks to all of you for advice/stories. Hey SSgt, Hollywood Marines are the best, nothing like some Pendleton "hills" to make Marines. PLT 2066 Fox Co 2nd RTB San Diego!!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That is funny.

A corporal has one more promotion under his belt.

So true especially them there "Butter Bars"

To the main story we had a guy at work a Temp worker that claimed to be a Marine and in Nam.

Which I doubt a bunch.

I should check it out.

Him and I had a run in a few months back well he quit and was told to leave.

Only thing he does now is Drink and he can drink a bunch.

Maybe I will check on his name at the mentioned site.

Claiming to be a Marine might be bad,but claiming to be a Marine In Nam really gets my blood hot as to all the Brave ones that did.

Might be the reason I went after him. oops,
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I should let my father in law be whatever he wants to be. Thanks to all of you for advice/stories. Hey SSgt, Hollywood Marines are the best, nothing like some Pendleton "hills" to make Marines. PLT 2066 Fox Co 2nd RTB San Diego!!

I've found the best way to deal with them is to let them get wrapped around in their own lies. Eventually the story will unravel.
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:52 PM UTC
I guess he is really good at knowing his stuff, just a few things here or there dont match up. I initated a request with Kansas City to pull his records, but this takes time I guess
Removed by original poster on 05/19/09 - 18:56:03 (GMT).
karljungblut
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 04:16 PM UTC
Stolen Valor Act of 2005
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 (the Act), signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006,[1] is a U.S. law that broadens the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, sale or claim (either written or verbal) of any military decorations and medals. It is a federal misdemeanor offense, which carries a punishment of imprisonment for not more than 1 year and/or a fine; the scope previously covered only the Medal of Honor.

The Act was first introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on July 19, 2005 by Representative John Salazar, a Democrat from Colorado, as H.R. 3352.[2][3] It was introduced into the Senate by Senator Kent Conrad, a Democrat from North Dakota, on November 10, 2005 as S. 1998.[4][5] The Senate version was passed unanimously on September 7, 2006.[5][6] The Senate version then went to the same House Judiciary Committee that held the House version. The Act briefly stalled, but the House subsequently passed the Senate version, S. 1998, on December 6, 2006.[7]

The purpose of the Act is to strengthen the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 704 by broadening its scope and strengthening penalties. Specific new provisions in the Act include: granting more authority to Federal law enforcement officers, extending scope beyond the Medal of Honor, broadening the law to cover false claims whereas previously an overt act had to be committed, covering mailing and shipping of medals, and protecting the reputation and meaning of military heroism medals.[3][5] Under the act, it is illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade or manufacture "any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces." In the 18 months after the act was enacted, the Chicago Tribune estimates 20 prosecutions. The number is increasing as awareness about the law spreads. [8]

The need for the Act came about because of large numbers of fake military heroes in the United States. For example, as of June 2, 2006 there were only 120 living Medal of Honor recipients, but there were far more known imposters.[9][10][11] There are also large numbers of fake Navy SEALS[12][13] and Army Special Forces,[14] among others.

AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stolen Valor Act of 2005
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 (the Act), signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006,[1] is a U.S. law that broadens the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, sale or claim (either written or verbal) of any military decorations and medals. It is a federal misdemeanor offense, which carries a punishment of imprisonment for not more than 1 year and/or a fine; the scope previously covered only the Medal of Honor.

The Act was first introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on July 19, 2005 by Representative John Salazar, a Democrat from Colorado, as H.R. 3352.[2][3] It was introduced into the Senate by Senator Kent Conrad, a Democrat from North Dakota, on November 10, 2005 as S. 1998.[4][5] The Senate version was passed unanimously on September 7, 2006.[5][6] The Senate version then went to the same House Judiciary Committee that held the House version. The Act briefly stalled, but the House subsequently passed the Senate version, S. 1998, on December 6, 2006.[7]

The purpose of the Act is to strengthen the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 704 by broadening its scope and strengthening penalties. Specific new provisions in the Act include: granting more authority to Federal law enforcement officers, extending scope beyond the Medal of Honor, broadening the law to cover false claims whereas previously an overt act had to be committed, covering mailing and shipping of medals, and protecting the reputation and meaning of military heroism medals.[3][5] Under the act, it is illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade or manufacture "any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces." In the 18 months after the act was enacted, the Chicago Tribune estimates 20 prosecutions. The number is increasing as awareness about the law spreads. [8]

The need for the Act came about because of large numbers of fake military heroes in the United States. For example, as of June 2, 2006 there were only 120 living Medal of Honor recipients, but there were far more known imposters.[9][10][11] There are also large numbers of fake Navy SEALS[12][13] and Army Special Forces,[14] among others.

unfortunately this only covers decorations, I wish that they would do this for rank and special designators i.e. SF, Marine Recon, SEAL claims. It should be illegal to falsely claim these titles
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question from Europe:

Why would anyone claim to be a Marine without having been one? Is the mythos behind the USMC that big in the US or does one gain a benefit/better job change?

If the stories about the U. S. Marines were myths, I doubt there would be an issue here. The fact is that, for the most part, the stories are true....except for the occasional liers and bullshooters like those noted above.

As in this case, the problem comes when those who possibly were not Marines try to enhance their personal stature by laying claim to the deeds done by real Marines. For those of us who have had the rare privilage of serving alongside the real Marine heroes, it is an insult. Such an insult is not taken lightly.

What I usually do when I encounter one of these clowns is ask a few questions that lets the fool know that I see right through his BS.....and then I ignore him. I have no patience with folks like that.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While the above is normally a good test, it is not aways the case. My wife, herself was a Lieutenant in the Navy Nurse Corps for four years. Her father was a Marine Colonel and her mother was also a Navy Nurse. She was raised in a Marine family with all that entails.

When I married her, she still didn't know the difference between a Colonel and a Corporal!

Semper fi,
Dave
retiredmarine
Visit this Community
Charente, France
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi, I've replied here a couple of times regarding the 'bogus' servicemen living our heros glory. Here is another slant which has affected my family personaly. My sisters daughter turned up at a party with a 'young' man on her arm saying this is Angus and he's in the Army. She knew that she was bringing a 'fraud into the lions den. I'll explain, this Angus was a serving member in the British Army, a private serving as a driver. He was introduced as a Captain in the Intelligence Corps serving with the SAS. The lions den consisted of 5 serving members of the British Army, 2 of which were my sons both Sergeant Majors, 2 Staff Sergeants and a Corporal. 2 were her brothers and 3 were her cousin. Not only that I was there as was my brother who has felt the heat as well. Unknown to him as Laura, (her name) had not mentioned that she had military connections, and she admitted later that she had ''sniffed a rat'' As soon as he opened his mouth we all knew!!!!! After only 5 minutes her 2 brothers had him outside went through his pockets and got his ID card out and comfirmation of his ID comfirmed. Family is family and things got a '''little''' physical he was sent on his way and being told who we all were my son reported him for impersinating an officer with signed statements and he has since been discharged from the Army.
Sadly this can not be done with non serving 'civvies'. Sadly more and more of this is coming to light with the ongoing conflicts which is going on around the globe at the present time.
Hope this puts a lighter note on the subject. We all had a drink afterwards and all agreed ''A Job Well Done''

Cheers Mike
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 10:24 PM UTC
I would expect that many times this has happened, but Marines especially Marines dont have that problem, every single one of us is drilled into learning those ranks, and sometimes taught different service ranks as I was, your wife in any case being a Marine brat, probably didnt care, and its OK, my wife is in the ARMY and doesnt know what a Gunny and Master Gunz are....but as long as its a Marine. THEY SHOULD KNOW!
Removed by original poster on 06/03/09 - 07:25:35 (GMT).
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 07:33 PM UTC
I've come to learn that many of the Marines that have been in combat, dont talk about it openly, my best friend for example, we joined together out of high school, he went to Iraq twice, was hit with an IED that killed his driver, and in several firefights, he talks to me about it, but when one of our civilian friends asks that stupid "so you ever killed anyone?" he lets them know that they dont rate to know, its a very private manner, and I think he only shares them with me because we grew up together (as I have never been in combat). Same thing with my Grandpop, he was in Korea and in combat, but never once did he talk about it, he would only tell us about being in Korea. My father in law however always talks about it, its kind of twisted, thats why I originally started this topic
retiredmarine
Visit this Community
Charente, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi Alex, Yes I know where your friend is coming from about sharing his 'experiences'. Present company with in this forum, but civvies do not rate to know, if they want to know then sign up and wear the uniform. I arrived today at Combat Stress a charity that is run for ex-servicemen with PTSD and other stress related problems. We have treatment here in very relaxed surroundings, with case workers and 2 specalist doctors. Its amazing how us 'old uns' share our experiences as wehave all felt the heat at sometime when we were serving, we have guys here from the 2nd World War, japanese prisonors of war, Korean vets and nearly all 'skirmishes' are covered by the vets attending here. We have now 3 Afgan vets and there wrecked. we share things that we do not even share with our wives or family, I even have difficulty in sharing my 'experiences' with my 2 sons who both have been in Combat.
Alex your friend trusts you very much to be able to share his experiences with you, give him my regards from a fellow combatant.

Regards Mike

Once a Marine always a Marine who ever and where ever you are!!!!!!
7thCavmedic
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 04:49 PM UTC
I used to let it bother me and get into fights. but now I just ask a few questions. if they are BS
I just let them be... if they P--s me of enough i call chuck shantag he is a personal freind of mine who runs the POW network and he puts them in lights..
One time Chuck and I were drinking beer at my Marine corps Leage and some sh-tbag shows up and tells us he was in 1st special operations comand I thought Chuck was going to climb out of his skin... this a--clown was asked to leave before we had him arrested in missouri its against state law to do that crap.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
Well, not exactly a Marine, but also not exactly a new problem either.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Question from Europe:

Why would anyone claim to be a Marine without having been one? Is the mythos behind the USMC that big in the US or does one gain a benefit/better job change?

If the stories about the U. S. Marines were myths, I doubt there would be an issue here. The fact is that, for the most part, the stories are true....except for the occasional liers and bullshooters like those noted above.

As in this case, the problem comes when those who possibly were not Marines try to enhance their personal stature by laying claim to the deeds done by real Marines. For those of us who have had the rare privilage of serving alongside the real Marine heroes, it is an insult. Such an insult is not taken lightly.

What I usually do when I encounter one of these clowns is ask a few questions that lets the fool know that I see right through his BS.....and then I ignore him. I have no patience with folks like that.

Semper Fi,
Dave

I guess you don't know the difference between the use of the word "mythos" versus referring to stories about the Marines as being "myths". Think "legendary" or "epic" when the word "mythos" is used.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hey all-
I am not going to pretend to know your true feelings at the moment as I am currently not yet in the military. I still have 1 year left in college and will be applying for USMC OCS shortly. I have several friends who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan and many of my family members have served all over the globe. The only time I have encountered a 'fake' Marine actually occured when I was with a Marine buddy of mine at school. This kid was wearing a 'Veterans for Peace' or something like that t-shirt and was spouting off about how terrible Iraq was when he was there. My buddy, a combat engineer and veteran of the invasian and Falluja, approached the kid to see what unit he was from. That question alone sealed the deal. I can't remember what he said specifically, but he essentially said that he was in the 101st Airborne... USMC. My buddy just laughed. I just don't understand it. The only time I will ever claim to be a Marine is after I earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Not before. I have too much respect and admiration for the all of those that have served, regardless of service, to ensure that my family and I exist. It truly angers me when people lie about and disrespect our vets.

-Mike
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
If you wanna see fake, go and work for the Department of Veterans Affairs. In the six years I've worked there, I've heard more "Hollywood" stories than there were war movies made. Most of the storytellers seem to come from the Vietnam era; "I was a pilot, Ranger, LRRP, Special Forces, blah,bla,blah..." They all seem to be SF for one reason or another.

What they don't realize is that we, as employees, have access to EVERYTHING. Confronting them with the truth is not a problem for me. Its more an embarrasement for them. They have to see me whenever they have an appointment in my department. Of course, most always seem to have some other story to negate their so-called facts that I front out.

It doesnt take much to out a person. Small general questions seem work, plus uploading a copy of their DD214 in front of them to verify information. I havent seem to have seen the same problem too much or at all with the DS/OIF/OEF Veterans. Most of them seem to have seen combat in one form or another, to include the women going out on convoy and patrol duties. And they say Army cooks don't go out the wire. They seem more humbled than most.

I would take it, from personal experience, the more you get to know someone, the more you spend time with them, the more info they will share. Most things they say are believable, but sometimes the embelishments go a little too far.