History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
What If Japan Had Invaded California?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:19 PM UTC
What would of happened if the Empire of Japan would of invaded California? And why wasn't this considered?

~Chip
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
This wasn't on the cards for a simple reason-geography. The first rule of force-projection is to maintain logistical supply routes. As the soviets found in cuba, you need a true blue-water navy to support an invasion...Jim
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hell, why invade, they own half the state now legally and without bloddshed., but seriously, Japan just didn't have the horsepower. Hawaii would have been a realtough one for them to capture and occupy, with a better than average chance of getting their butts waxed.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC
The Japanese lack the Naval landing force to put enough men into California before the rest of the state and the country rose up. Also, rememeber that although Pearl Harbor was damaged on December 7, the carriers and many warship were still fully capable of fighting. The Japanese landed in sunny So Cal would be between the Sierra Nevada Mountains the Pacific Ocean and 3000 + miles of ocean for all their food, material and weapons.
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 664 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:06 PM UTC
You are forgetting that the Japanese DID invade the States. They landed in the Aleutian Islands and remained there until they were forced out by American and Canadian troops.
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:36 PM UTC
I dare say quality programming like Baywatch and Pamela Anderson wouldn't have made it onto our screens :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 05:27 AM UTC
The landing force, equipped with not so great armor, would have had to cross several thousand miles of ocean to land on a huge land mass and face a moderately well armed military and a civilian population that also had a good deal of weaponry. If Pearl Harbor had been bypassed, your resupply is going to be pretty much shut down. Local supplies would be scuttled by the population. Long story short, you'd have had a small (or several) pockets of invaders who'd have been isolated and wiped out in short order.
The physical size of the United States precludes any relaistic attempt at invasion. (Which is why I found Red Dawn to be sucha silly movie, paricularly with an invasion into the center of the country.)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
nothing happened.....
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
AJ,

I think in Red Dawn the Russkies dropped some nukes before the invasion, 'softening up' American resistance.
An unrealistic movie however, given that everyone west of the Mississippi is armed

:)

Peter
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AJ,

I think in Red Dawn the Russkies dropped some nukes before the invasion, 'softening up' American resistance.
An unrealistic movie however, given that everyone west of the Mississippi is armed

Peter

I think the nukes came later in the story, since, in th e opening scene, the teacher seems totally unconcerned as he walks out to greet the invading paratroopers.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC
Nah - sphyrna's right - in the movie the Soviets used tactical nukes to soften up US targets in Europe and the Contentinal US as their classical diversionary tactic to launch an invasion through the southern US with Soviet Division Cuba. It was hinted during the movie that nukes were used again - likely by the US on its own soil to halt the advance(s). Red Dawn's storyline took place along one of those frontlines...

Using Twilight: 2000's RPG system, I used to gamemaster and play the same scenario as Soviet Division Cuba invading Texas and ultimately bogging down in southern Oklahoma - like chronicled in the game supplement "Red Star Lone Star".

Gunnie
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Then they'd have voted Gojira instead of Terminator as gov'na.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC
Red DAwn was just good fun guys. Teenagers with hunting rifes wiping out tanks, armored personnel carriers and Helicopters and of course the burning question would be, how on Earth did the Russians/Cubans get that much hardware onto our soil let alone as far north as what Iowa/ Michigan area. Sorry to contribute to an off topic remark.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Red DAwn was just good fun guys. Teenagers with hunting rifes wiping out tanks, armored personnel carriers and Helicopters and of course the burning question would be, how on Earth did the Russians/Cubans get that much hardware onto our soil let alone as far north as what Iowa/ Michigan area. Sorry to contribute to an off topic remark.

Via our former allies to the south - Mexico. Shipping through the Gulf Coast. And airborne drops using Aeroflot planes in that movie world...

Gunnie
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
Back to the original topic The Japanese could not afford to bypass Hawaii to invade teh Left Coast #:-) . The US had fairly extensice coast artillery defenses at Los Angeles, San Francisco and the Columbia River. Add to this significant Army Air Corps assets and what ground forces that were avaialble. California is a fairly inhospitable place once you leave the immediate coast - coastal mountains, deserts, forest fires, snakes, smog, Califonians!!!! (NOTE: As you can tell by my spelling, I attended school in California )
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
the big question should be why did'nt they invade Hawaii if the U.S. had lost Hawaii and the pacific fleets oil tanks it would have prolonged the war.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AJ,

Peter

I think Californians (or anybody on the west coast for that matter) would have readily resisted any attempts of the Japanese to invade (I just wanna give the original author of this thread the benefit of the doubt).

On the other hand, tt would be impossible then for the Japanese to conduct espionage and other covert stuff since that crackdown which sent a lot of Japanese-Americans to internment camps. So a Japanese or any Asian fellow walking around back then would be highly suspect. Naturally, if the Japanese ever intend to invade the US west coast, the way must be paved for them.
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the big question should be why did'nt they invade Hawaii if the U.S. had lost Hawaii and the pacific fleets oil tanks it would have prolonged the war.

That was the plan. But they needed a step before invade Hawaii- Midway. They screwed up and lost 60% of their navy's air capability. Since then large offensive moves was not a viable option any more.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
Admiral Yamamoto warned against invading the continental USA because he knew from living here an extended time, that every American is armed, and no invading force across 3000 miles could succeed against such a hostile and armed populace.(at that time, distances aren't what they used to be)
He even had grave doubts about the success of a Hawaii invasion.
A grave mistake the Japanese made in WW2 was that they weren't investing enough in logistics, had they done so, they would have had more staying power.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 06:30 PM UTC
Well, they'd feel right at home with all the sushi bars...

I know. but am thinking of an intelligent answer.

Cheers
Peter
Yari
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:23 PM UTC
If Japan invaded California...

Presuming they land in SoCal...
Day 1: Japan lands in San Diego. After bitter fighting they gain the beach heads.
Day 2: JIA assumes total control of San Diego and a few blocks of nearby counties.
Day 3: JIA in SoCAL surrenders its die-hard brass commits seppuku. Honto, neh?!?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i also think the russians in that movie spoke spanish if i'm not mistaken
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC
i think one of the reasons they didnt invade california was because they were simply too stretched out all over asia and pacific. Even if they did, they would need to hold out against counter-attacks, simply an impossible task.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC
With the current problems in California - maybe we should have let them have it
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
Just think, Tamiya shipping out of California! Cheap model prices or what? Also Detroit would have had competition! :-)

I think the truth is the same as why Hawaii was not invaded. Logistics, the Japanese just didn’t have the logistics to back it, plus the excessively long logistical lines.