_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello all.......
Jay
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:32 AM UTC
Okay, I'm new here, so I guess I should give it a go.....

My name is *you guessed it* Jay (or Jason if you want to be specific, I’ll answer to anything, schmuck, meathead, dope etc.). I'm 30 and I work as a Project Manager/CAD Draftsman for a crane company (pretty exciting, huh? – it pays the bills and buys the models – what more could you ask for?). I'm also working towards a degree in structural engineering, but I go to school nights, so it is slow progress. I’m from the US, the great liberal haven of Massachusetts to be exact (and NO, I'm NOT a liberal). I also have a second job at a local hobby shop, I don’t make any money there though, instead I come home with merchandise in place of a paycheck (at a discount too!). It’s a nice arrangement, but it has lead to a MAJOR backlog of unbuilt kits. I try to tell my girlfriend that I’m collecting kits so I have something to do when I retire, but she isn’t buying it.

I served four years active duty, US Army, as a 19K20 (Sgt/Tank gunner). In addition, I have about seven years time in the USAR and NG, MOS varies. Currently 11H20 - member of an anti-tank detachment (TOW missiles) in the MAARNG. I've seen and taken part in the full spectrum of ground based combat arms now, armor, artillery and infantry.

A basic rundown of my military experience:
Two years (1992-1993) US Army Reserve - Infantry
Four years (1993-1997) US Army (active) - Tank crewman (M1A1 Abrams)
Two years (1997-1998) US Army Reserve - Military Intelligence/Military Police
One year (2000-2001) MA Army National Guard - SP Artillery (M-109 SP)
Currently – (2001-Present) MA Army National Guard - Infantry anti-tank (TOW missile)

I did a lot of bouncing around the Guard and Reserves, each time my re-enlistment came up, I opted for a different unit. The unit retention NCO’s and recruiters hate me, but I’m enjoying learning new things. I would have stayed in armor after coming off active duty, but the nearest armor unit in the National Guard is about three hours driving from my home, so I declined.

My interests range far and wide and can include (depending on my mood): tanks, military history, military equipment, music, sports (except basketball), good beer (lots of it), good food, travel (when I can), mountain biking, hiking, running, playing roller and ice hockey, and building military models.

Anyhow, enough outta me. I’m glad to be here, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and skilled people and lots of valuable information on the site, I’ll try to soak up as much as I can! Thanks for having me aboard, I’ll try not to break anything…….
#:-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
Welcome fellow Bay Stater! What hobby shop do you work at?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
Jay,

quite a story. Welcom aboard. I'm sure you'll love it over here !

Glad to have you with us.
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-H Welcome fellow Bay Stater! What hobby shop do you work at?

Oh, another Taxachusetts resident? Thanks for the welcome!

Anyhow, I work at a place called the Hobby Emporium, it's in Tyngsboro, up by the Pheasant Lane Mall and Nashua, NH line. Familiar with it?

What part of our great state do you hail from?

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
Jay welcome on the best site around. Don't worry the unbuilt model backlog I've got the same desease and I'm sure someone else around here too. I've got a good backlog of models in progress too...
Ciao from Italy
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Welcome Jason! I'm living in California - and certainly no Liberal either You're welcome here - enjoy Armorama.

Gunnie
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:00 AM UTC
That's quite a resume you've got there Jay. Welcome to Armorama. I also live in the great state of Taxachusetts but on the south side where the toilets don't flush right #:-)
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Jason
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
I've always wanted to work at a hobby shop, problem is got house payments, electric, water, gas, etc. Spent a long time in the Army myself. Platoon LDr in Germany, became the S-1 then came home joined a reserve unit as an S-2 type. When I moved to TX also got my Oak Leaf, and that put a stopper on me. Tried the correspondence game for 2 years and then just let them retire me when the time came due with only 14 good years.

Anyway. Look forward to seeing some of your work. Have fun this is one heck of a club.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

:-H Welcome fellow Bay Stater! What hobby shop do you work at?

Oh, another Taxachusetts resident? Thanks for the welcome!

Anyhow, I work at a place called the Hobby Emporium, it's in Tyngsboro, up by the Pheasant Lane Mall and Nashua, NH line. Familiar with it?

What part of our great state do you hail from?

Welcome Jay. I was just in your store yesterday afternoon. I usually talk with Larry if he's in. I live down at Hanscom, but do not refer to me as a Mass resident. The Army allows me to keep my original home of record (Vermont). I've probably talked to you and never knew you. I often talk to the heavy guy there who does cars.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hey, Jay...whadda ya say?
Welcome to the best site on the net.....I am a former NY'er, now living on the left coast!
Have fun
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hey Jay welcome to Armorama.. You will find just about any answer to any question concerning models here..
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Jay. I was just in your store yesterday afternoon. I usually talk with Larry if he's in. I live down at Hanscom, but do not refer to me as a Mass resident. The Army allows me to keep my original home of record (Vermont). I've probably talked to you and never knew you. I often talk to the heavy guy there who does cars.

I just got back from the store and was just talking to Larry. Anyhow, as I was telling Larry, my time here may be short-lived, I just found out I may be on my way to Cuba for a year........

I usually work on Friday nights, every other week. It's a nice arrangement, I do it solely for the benefits of the discount, having first crack at new kits and keeping myself informed as to what is coming out, what has been delayed, what has been canceled etc. The money I make there, gets spent there.

Brian is the car guy, big heavy set guy with blond hair. Does phenomenal scratch and detail work on his cars.

BTW, Larry has five days to go until his retirement, lucky guy!
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:13 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the welcome!

From the looks of things, we could have a pretty sizeable get together with MA guys from this forum. On another internet forum I belong to, we make it a habit of getting together once a year to have some beers and tour some armor or military museums. Last year we did Fort Knox and got some good tours of the various facilities and museums on the post.

Do you guys do anything like a yearly get together?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC
I'm in West Springfield, along the banks of the great Connecticut River. I've heard of your store, but never been i there. Don't you guys usually vend at Granitecon?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC
Well there's no motortized armor museum near hear, but there is the Higgins Armory in Worcester with a huge collection of armor from the iron age through the 18th century. There's the New England AIr Museum in WIndsor Locks, CT a haul for the other MA guys, but not for me. Even closer to me in the Springfield Armory Museum, on the site of the armory that produced weapons from Revolution through the Vietnam war. I can't think of any other military realted museums. There was an armor museum in Danbury CT, but that may be closed.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
Marlborough Massachusetts here welcoming you on board Jay! Looking forward to your inputs here as well!!

Gee... there seems to be a good number of us in here from MA. Maybe we should all get together sometime and have some sort of group initiation. :-)

P.S. No relation (that I know of) to your MARNG boss.

Welcome!
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well there's no motortized armor museum near hear, but there is the Higgins Armory in Worcester with a huge collection of armor from the iron age through the 18th century. There's the New England AIr Museum in WIndsor Locks, CT a haul for the other MA guys, but not for me. Even closer to me in the Springfield Armory Museum, on the site of the armory that produced weapons from Revolution through the Vietnam war. I can't think of any other military realted museums. There was an armor museum in Danbury CT, but that may be closed.

You forgot the USS Massachusetts down in Fall River and the USS Constitution as well as Battery Park in Boston. There is also a National Guard Museum in Worcester, in the old Worcester Armory. My NG unit is headquartered in Worcester, I'm down there quite often.

I still can't get over how many MA guys we have here, geez....... :-)
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marlborough Massachusetts here welcoming you on board Jay! Looking forward to your inputs here as well!!

Gee... there seems to be a good number of us in here from MA. Maybe we should all get together sometime and have some sort of group initiation. :-)

P.S. No relation (that I know of) to your MARNG boss.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I've been down that way before a few times. I live up in Lowell currently, about 40 minutes from your area.

I checked out your mortar site, you do excellent work! I wish I had the skills to build like that, but I fear my skills are only marginal compared to most of the stuff I'm seeing since I registed here. It's been ages since I actually finished a kit, so I registered here in the hope that I'll get the inspiration and motivation to get working on my sizeable backlog! Seems like it is a pain finding time though (school, NG, work, girlfriend, AAAARRGGHHH!!!!!)

But heck, that's what I'm here for, to pic some tips up from the pros and hopefully get someone to kick my butt into gear!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
I should have thought of the NG museum, as wel as tho other two and the USS Salem in SOuth Weymouth. #:-) DOH! and a double DOH for the NG since my club built all the planes in their ANG display and I painted the F-94, and built the F-84 (swept wing) , the A-26 and the B-25, and have the C-47 waiting to be built. (I guess I didn't think of them because, unless they've changed in the last year, they were only open during business hours.)
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Jason! I'm living in California - and certainly no Liberal either You're welcome here - enjoy Armorama.

Gunnie

Thanks for the welcome Gunnie! I believe I ran into you over on Tanknet last week?

Anyhow, I'm going to try to spend as much time checking this place out, there is SO much to read and discover over here, I can't believe it took me this long to find this site, this place is a dream for someone like myself....... :-)
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I should have thought of the NG museum, as wel as tho other two and the USS Salem in SOuth Weymouth. #:-) DOH! and a double DOH for the NG since my club built all the planes in their ANG display and I painted the F-94, and built the F-84 (swept wing) , the A-26 and the B-25, and have the C-47 waiting to be built. (I guess I didn't think of them because, unless they've changed in the last year, they were only open during business hours.)

My unit had our Christmas party there, so I probably saw your work, since I spent most of my time wandering around looking at all the kits and stuff on the walls. They should try to take better care of the kits there, there were some in need of major re-building and repair work. The battle dioramas were cool though, and protected under that plastic bubble type of set-up.

If we ever get a plan together, I'm definitely game for meeting up with you MA guys for some brews and tall stories. Heck if there are any wargame types, I'd be up for that too!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 03:08 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama! Hope you have a nice time here like I do!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Jay, welcome
Mal
Jay
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to Armorama! Hope you have a nice time here like I do!

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it here, I'm already liking it!

If you get a chance, please tell Gennady I. Beregovoy that I'm over here if you happen on him in the Filipino forum...... :-)
 _GOTOTOP