_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
what kit?
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi ,
Ive just decided to start modeling again and was wondering what pieces of equipment would you all recommend. i know nothing about air brushes or anything else out there that would help me advance my skills.
Thanks
Martin
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby!

If you build armor, you can probably delay getting an airbrush. I know some folks who cannot bear the thought of being without one, but I have one and rarely use it. To each his own, I suppose.

Assuming you are starting with nothing, you'll want to get an Exacto knife or two, plus a stock of #11 blades. Keeping a sharp blade in your knife is a must!

You may also want to get a set of sprue nippers for removing parts from the sprue. Also, fingernail files and buffing sticks are handy and cheap for cleaning up parts and seam lines. You'll also do well to get a pack of wet-dry sandpaper in varying grits -- 600, 420, 300 are good for starting. Needle files and sanding blocks are good, too.

A good pair of scissors is useful, as is a few pairs of small pliers, if you do any work with wire. A variety of tweezers or forceps are useful. A pin vise and set of drills is handy if you plan to add or replace details. A razor saw and miter box can also be useful, if you plan to do any modifications or scratchbuilding.

Good brushes are vital to good finishing -- get the best ones you can afford. Red Sable brushes are my personal favorites -- I have never found a synthetic brush I liked.

Other nice-to-have things: a steel ruler, masking tape, rubber bands, clothes pins, tooth picks ... Dremel tool, Hold-N-Fold, Chopper -- oops, these last few are a bit more advanced!

As for your work area, make sure it has a good light. And get a good surface to work on -- you don't want to tear up your desk or table. Hobby shops sell "self-healing" mats. I prefer to work on a piece of glass -- about 8x10 -- and I cover the the edges with tape to prevent accidently cutting myself and to keep it from sliding around.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick response hollowpoint, lots of gear there i'd never have thought about.
thanks again!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hollowpoint has hit it pretty much on the head ...but for me he's right ...I couldn't be without an airbrush and compressor...these are the most expensive tools you'll ever have to buy for modelling ,but they really take your kits to the next level...I have been well served with my Paashes H airbrush and badger compressor for at least the last ten years...but now just bought a new brush but keep my trusty old H handy for the big jobs...You just can't get a finish to look faded and warn out with out an airbrush...you should think about saving up for one...Just my own opinion by the way ...

Rick
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:21 AM UTC
Just to add a little bit to the list ..... CA glue, great for plastic, PE, and even for some minor gap filling.
I'm with Rick on the airbrush ..... can't live without mine either. :-)
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
To complement Shermanfreak,

cheap nailpolish remover (supposedly), to seperate your fingers again from any object you have glued you had atached yourself to with the CA.
SSgtTravisR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC
Paper Towels. LOTS & LOTS of paper towels. Can never have too many. Of course, with all those paper towels, you'll need a large trash can.

Some other things I like to use that aren't mentioned yet (consumables) are Straight Pins for getting into the smallest of cracks/corners, Future Floor Polish, plastic mixing cups (I drink a lot of Crystal Light, and they work great!), Q-Tips, Cotton Balls, old T-Shirts/Socks (preferrably clean), and lots of storage space. A cheap plastic tackle box or some plastic organizing boxes do wonders for organization.

:)
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
Something not mentioned yet that I keep around is soda tops from the plastic bottles. The are great for mixing small amounts of paint or epoxy or all sorts of uses. I drink soda by the gallon so I have a ton of them laying around.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Several important items:

1) Large Warehouse for storing all these brightly colored boxes which contain your next project..

2) Myopic partner who does not see you entering house with aforementioned plastic reserve stock....

3) Platinum Visa or Mastercard

4) Single-minded determination to finish projects and not to be sidetracked....

5) Bookshelves. Lots of them as a large part of your time will be spent in buying stockpiling 'invaluable reference material.

6) A job which requires your presence for 3 hours on alternate months...

etc.,etc.,etc. Jim
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
they told almost everything.I can add you will need barbed wire to keep kids away and a warning to sign to wife:THIS IS WEATHERING ON MY MODELS-NOT DIRT. :-)
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
thanks guys, i'll make a list, not to sure what my boss will say about going down to 3 hours a month, but its worth a shot!!!!!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
My turn, my turn.

As far as what kits to buy - The addage - you get what you pay for, is true.
I would recommend you get some of the better quality (and yes more expensive kits) to start. You won't drive yourself nuts with gap problems or fit issues or major 'fixes' to get a decent build.
You can look at some of the small Tamiya kits - M3 or M5 tanks, Pz III, Jeeps, M3A2 half track, some of the figure sets or sets with the motorcycles.

If you see a kit you're interested in and want an opinion - just post the question here and you'll get an answer.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
With so many kits, time periods (WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc.), countries of origin and types of models (AFV, softskin, figures) available I would recommend trying to initially pick an area to specialize or concentrate your interest. This helps a little with 'plasticholic' affliction in some cases. Welcome and good luck.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
Martin, i agree with all of the above if you decide on a motor tool [dremel, black and decker or what other brand name that you have in the U.K. ] might want to start with a battery powerd one that way you get a "feel" for it before you break the bank on a high end model plus attachments also make shure it has adjustable speed been there done that the first one i purchased was a single speed 35000 RPM not good for fine cutting around small parts. another tip for motor tool attachment storage-take a 2x6 and drill holes in it to hold the bits. happy modeling TURRETTOAD 13 OUT.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
#:-) One thing I don't think anyone mentioned is a pure white flat surface floor in your work area. I think I must have the equivilant of four or five kits in my carpet (or did have before honey brought the MONSTER VAC in!)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:58 AM UTC
Another useful item is a good light or two. I have a floor standing and table lamp when I model. I like the floor lamp as I can place it behind me and the light comes over my shoulder! All the things above are the most important items. Another thing I use is hobby putty.. like tamiya or humbrol. Great for filling small gaps. Fill gap and wipe off and smooth using q-tips and aceton free nail-polish remover. Liquid cement with a needle ´for better acuracy. .... Just a few more things for your tool box. Maybe in your hobby shob they have those little needle files ....... love those as well!
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:18 AM UTC
Thanks for all your replys, guys. Already starting building up some of the equipment you 've told me about. Find myself looking at every thing now wondering how i can use it.
Martin
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:04 PM UTC
Here is the best investment I have made in the hobby as for keeping organized esp since I have limited space.

It is a stanly roll around shop toolbox.... it is great for holding modeling tools and projects..

The top if filled with my primary stock of model paints.... (reserve stock is kept in closet)
in the top 3 drawers I have from left to right.. #1 seperated into 3 sections for my paintbrushs #2 this is where I keep my files, knifes, cutters and tweezers #3 more tweezers, pin vices and drill bits. next 2 drawers for various supplies such as sanding supplys and weathering stuff.
bottom drawer on top section and top drawer on lower section are for my work inprogress and bottom drawer for my dremal and various larger tools and stuff...... lower section divided in half with shelf for air compressior and thinner and various small figure kits and accessory kits.

The best thing about this set up is when your not using it you can roll it into a closet and be fairly sure that your work in progress will not be disturbed.. because my wife knows......."NOT'" to touch my tool box..............
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC
:-) Martin

Quoted Text

Find myself looking at every thing now wondering how i can use it.

You've got it, anything and everything has a potential use for modelling. When you next go to the dentist just ask if he/she has any tools that they don't want. They would normally throw them away so they don't have a problem with giving them away, just explain that they are ideal for model building. I only needed to ask once and got a fist full of useful tools, which are easily modified for specific needs.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but a digital camera for taking pics of your projects, so you can post them here :-)
Mal
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 05:44 AM UTC
im laughing on the last note mal,
my sisters a dental nurse already requested scalpels and blades, anything else that mightbe useful from the dentists?
 _GOTOTOP