_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Greetings from an Airman...
SSgtTravisR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:08 PM UTC
Just thought I'd introduce myself, now that I've spent the last couple of hours reading all I can here at this site & forums. This is an excellent site!!

I'm going on 30 , and have been modeling off and on since I was 8 years old. When I was a kid, I mostly did cars, with some military aircraft. As I grew older and learned to appreciate aircraft more, I moved into that genre exclusively. I have built maybe 30 or so models altogether; none of which were very detailed. Back in 1999, when I was in England, I built a Tamiya P-47D and decided to kick in some drybrushing and washing... and, well, I got hooked into fine detail. I've only done a few models since that one, so I'm still learning the fine intricacies of fine detailing. After my interests piqued in the WWII era, I took on some additional interests in armor after visiting a few WWII museums in England.

Well, now I'm in the US Air Force (going on 10 years), and am in Texas away from home doing some crosstraining into F-16 Avionics. My home base is Cannon AFB in Clovis, NM. I'll be here in Texas until August, so I decided to pick up modeling again. I'm finishing up a 1/72 Italieri CV-22, and my next project is Tamiya's T-34/76 ChTZ. I'm going to spend the next three months on it, and am planning on doing a small diorama to go with it (someday); probably a street/ruin in Stalingrad, circa spring/summer 1943. I've got about $50 worth of accessories for the ChTZ to include Eduard Accessories PE stuff, Aluminum Barrel, custom decals, Maquette plastic link tracks, Squadron's "T-34 in Action" book, some Verlinden Armor books and more. (I know, I jumped in head first!) I still need to get a decent airbrush to get the project started off, as right now I have the el-cheapo Testors amateur airbrush.

Anyways, I just thought I'd say hi.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
Glad to have you on board with us Travis!
It's nice to see you move into the realm of armor. Is that T34 your first tracked vehicle?
If I may suggest an Airbrush, look into the Testor's Aztec line. They provide a good bang for the buck, easy to use and clean with great results. I have the A470 and love it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to fire em away.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:55 PM UTC
welcome to Armorama Travis. I think we all have lots to learn from each and an airman in active duty,especially about F-16s will be a great gain for the the website.
be safe and see ya...best regards
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:22 PM UTC
Welcome Travis.

Hope to see some of your work someday. Until then...enjoy the best site on the planet and beyond !
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:32 PM UTC
Welcome Aboard Travis

You have found the best modeling site around with the best people on it. Hope to see that t34 someday.

Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi Travis, welcome
Mal
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
Welcome aboard ... have fun.

Nate
Wisc. USA
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi Travis, welcome to Armorama.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Wow, another armour guy on board!!! A warm welcome from Italy too!!!
Ciao
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
WELCOME TO THE CLUB GOOD TO SEE MORE MILITARY PERSONEL AROUND HERE IM A M1A1 TANKER NAT. GUARD TYPE [YES A TRUE TREDHEAD -DAT -CDAT -OR DIRTBAG] WICH EVER YOU PERFER .MY BROTHER IS FULL TIME AIR GUARD 141 MECH. YOU ARE IN GOOD COMPANY HERE HAVE A GOOD ONE TURRETTOAD 13 OUT.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:05 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Travis
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi,

A warm welcome to this superb site.

I hope you enjoy and stay with us for a long time.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy your visits with us. Where abouts are you in Texas? I live in Dallas. If you are here around the 24th check out the Model show in the area.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
Welcome aboard the best site around.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama. Good to add another flyboy to the fold.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
Welcome, and I'll say a howdy to y'all myself. I too am in the USAF, just over 6 years now. I built models as a kid, but never seriously. While I was in training (in Texas) I tried building some planes (not my bag of apples). Then I got hooked on rally racing and building Tamiya's 1/24 rally cars. One day at my local hobby shop, I meandered to the back of the store (where all the armor models are) and lo-and-behold I discoeverd WWII armor. I have a ton of models either started, or in progress, but have only finished 3 (armor/military models that is). Hopefully I can get a digital camera some time soon, and share them with you. Currently working on a couple of Tamiya Marder III / III M, Dragon's Karl and a 1/16 r/c King Tiger (built but not painted/weathered). This is the greatest (armor) website out there, and I'm glad to see a supportive bunch of guys encouraging others. Keep up the good work, Hoorah!

Jason
SSgtTravisR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Wow, thanks for all the greetings, everyone!

I'm in Wichita Falls, Texas at Sheppard AFB. I heard about the model show, but I don't think I'll be able to make that one.

:)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Travis Sorry to hear your based at Cannon AFB I was in the AF 10 years as a sheetmetal man and paint shop as well Based at Minot N.D. Lakenheath,England Norton Ca. and moody Ga I now drive truck all over the U,S.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hello and welcome to both Travis and jejack! It's nice to see some blue suits around the site. I'm and Air Force kid myself. My dad retired after 27 years as a Master Sgt, and my brother's finishing his 22nd or 23rd year in now and is testing for Senior Master Sgt sometime later this year. I'm sure both of you will find a lot of helpful advice and general good times around the site.
 _GOTOTOP