_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
First kit
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
I was looking on eBay at the kits on offer and saw one of Airfix's HMS Hotspur. That was the first kit I ever built, I think back in the late 1960s when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was immediately hooked on building kits and have only had a few breaks from the hobby, (when I discovered girls, when I discovered beer, and when I found the two went together very nicely). What was the first kit you guys built and when?
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC
I built my first kit when I was about 6 (I just turned 20 in March). It was a Dodge Charger that my father and I built OOTB, no paint, but we did use the decals in the kit. Since then I built cars for a little bit, then planes until about 5th grade, then I took a few years off. A couple years back I got back into the hobby building all things armored.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
I started out doing a load of 1/48 planes.

My first dio was with the Dornier Do335 ~"74. I don't even remember who manuf. but it was the first kit I AB'd with a dog of a Testors.
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
The first kit i build entirely on my own was a Revell 1/144 Me 109. That was in 1990 if i remember correct. I did a kit before that, a mid 30's junker, but that was with help of my father, so that one does not really count.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
The first kit I build (actually it is still unfinished 12 years later) with my dad was a model of the Mayflower, by Heller. The first kit I build individually was the Revel 1:72 F-16 (the prototype model).
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
I believe my first model (age 5, or so) was a Snap-Tite F-15 molded in light blue plastic.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
my first kit was USS Fletcher when I was 9 years old,now I am 41.my father brought it from states as a present and we built it with mom and mom still has it at her house.
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
My first kit was a Spitfire, an Aurora kit if I remember correctly. It was 1957, I was so proud of the fact that I had put the kit together without a lot of glue smears. Not to be meladramatic but that was a special moment for me, my dad died later that year and that was the only thing he ever saw me build. I still remember his encouragment. I have modeled ever since.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:00 AM UTC
My first kit (at the age of was an Airfix HMS Daring and now 34 years later i'm still enjoying the hobby and slowly getting my 9 year old nephew into it too.
Regards
Peter
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
The first model I made was when I was about 6yrs old and living in North Africa. It was a Grant I ....by ...who knows....My dad brought it back for me from England.
I didn't even paint a base coat, but painted big splodges of brown all over it as camouflage.
The "Commander" figure was the one one with a beret which I painted a bright red...he looked like a siren or something poking out from the tank...lol

memories...great aint they.....
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
My first was from around the early 1960's.A Revell H-16 helicopter.I built it myself,with own two little hands. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 11:57 AM UTC
My first model was an Airfix Spitfire. Well, thats not entirely correct, my pocket money bought it but my father seemed to commandeer construction and modification to make it represent a kite from his old squadron. He also managed to take a major role in my rubber powered Kiel Kraft Hawker Hurricane. By the time it was finished it was so detailed he would not let me fly it! He used to play with my Hornby train set too. My Meccano was the only thing I had to myself. This unfortunate state of affairs has left me with deep emotional scars to this day.
My first solo effort was an Airfix 'Mayflower' sailing ship. I then made several Airfix vintage cars, the Bentley and Roller come to mind. It was not till I was about 12 that I really got into aircraft modelling seriously, with a whole raft of 1/72 Airfix models, mainly WW2 types. That gave way to 1/24 cars and now I am building bloody tanks. What went wrong!

Regards Dave
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 04:35 PM UTC
My first kit, Monogram Japanese Zero. That was for years ago, and I won a bronze medal last year. I took a year off and collected tips and techniques, and the went back to it last summer. I have serverly improved in my skills! I am even amazed!

Time flys!

~Chip :-)
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
my very first kit was the Arfix Avro Lancaster,my dad was a rear gunner on them and he always built the rear gun turret for me,that was in the mid fifties. may I add that the best kit I can remember wasThe Gangbusters series anyone remember them Brilliant kits also the eEd Roth rat fink series the dragsters with the monsters driving, sorry for rapping on i will take a pill and be quiet.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
My first kit was a 1/35 tamiya horch around 1982. Hand painted with sand and green cam using lovely gloss humbrols! The figures were all painted in gloss as well.
Anything i built after that was 1/72. My modelling days faded for quite a few years until almost 2 years ago when I needed to kill some time. The bliss of married life eh?
My second "first" kit was an Academy Abrams ...... hand painted camo again....... but at least i used matt paint!
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 10:54 PM UTC
God that requires thinking back to the mid 70's. It would have been a long tom gun by who I don't know or a soviet mig 21. Got as birthday kits when i was about 7. My problem was I built them from the box no paint. The got broke and I never built again till last year.
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
The first? Can't remember back that far,but I do remember a model of the Bismarck that was built,painted by hand,dropped,painted again,played with in the bath( it sank well,sort of settled into the water then rolled over),dropped again,repaired,painted again,played with some more,.........My brother and I got a lot of mileage out of that model.In the early 60's I remember a series of vehicles; a jeep,a long tom, a 90mm AA,an Honest John missle set,but I can't recall the manufacturer.Those were great kits at that time....or so I remember.JOCK
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 130 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:00 AM UTC
think my first kit was an airfix spitfire i remember buying it after watching the battle of britain film ,then a load of small scale afvs . then a long break till early this year when i bought a tamiya panzer iv and know i,m hooked again
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
the first kit I ever built was with my dad when I was like six or so,beautiful paint job but five min. later SNAP CRACkLE POP its gone...............its probably in 500,000,000,000,000,------- parts right now
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
The first kit I remember building was the old Weasel back in the mid '70's with that how to build a diorama insert by Shepard Paine. I don't even remember who made the kit, Monogram or Revell I think. Eventhough the results of my first efforts were dismal, it did spark a hobby that has cost me many dollars over the years which I still enjoy.

Patrick
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
My first kit was the Airfix 1/72 scale Swordfish. My mom helped me put it together and actually painted some parts of it with nail polish! That was something close to 35 years ago now. Saw one on ebay about a year ago and I had to snap it up, now it sits on display in my cabinet as a reminder of days gone by.

Coop
Toysoldier
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
The first kit I built was an Aifrix Sopwith Camel or some other bi-plane. Was round about 1980 or so. Built and broke about one plane a month. Not long after I discovered armor :-) first 1/72 then the big stuff 1/35. Built everything I could find from Tamiya until the only hobby shop selling it closed down. Took a long break (about 13 years) and then in 1995 I rediscovered armour models. The first one I built when returning to this amazing hobby was the Tamiya Pibber - still have it in my display case even though I added some extra details on about a year ago.

Hooked ever since
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
I don't remember the first one but the ones I do remember are the '70's Monogram kits.
We vacationed in Vermont and the local Five and Dime shop had a small selection of kits. I would always get a kit for the week. I remember the Deuce and Half, the jeep, and the Screamin' Meme Sherman.

Wonderful memories of cut and glue no finish.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonderful memories of cut and glue no finish.

...............and bottle rockets.

Patrick
clausen
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
entire network: 449 Posts
KitMaker Network: 223 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
I build my first kit with my father when I was 6 years old... It was a 1/144 Heinkel 111.
I got hooked, and do not plan to stop building!

Bjoern
 _GOTOTOP