_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
First kit
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:10 PM UTC
I built my first model when I was 7 or 8 (I'm 31 now). It was a 1/72 Lindberg P-47 molded in beautiful blue plastic. I built it OOB without any paint or anything. I stuck with 1/72 scale planes, both glue and snap-tite, for 3 or 4 years, until I found a 1/35 Italieri Leopard. Since then, armor has moved to the front of my interests, but I still dabble in just about every other area from time-to-time.
Shinano
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
My first kit i beleive was a 1/144 Vigilante, I think I was about 6 or 7. It had very small tabs for the wings and the wings drooped when dry, but I loved it and got hooked, did models till I was about 21 or 22 then discovered skirt! Just got back into it last year and have spent a bloody fortune on the habit, but I woudn't have it any other way. I find this hobby so facinating and you never get bored with it as it is so vast. It also brings back such good memories!
I feel better saying that! :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
I am fairly sure my first model was the battleship Missouri. I'm not sure who made it but it was about 18 inches long as I remember. The prototype survived everything that was thrown at her but my model did not survive the onslaught of bb's from a bunch of ten year olds as she float gracefully by in the creek behind our house.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
My first kit was something by Airfix (it was so long ago I can't remember). In those far-away days, the series one kits came in a platic bag with the instructions stapled on..... My first Tamiya kit was the 6 pounder. Still available I believe. Makes one wonder....... Jim
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hey Jim i rember those early Airfix kits,I used to get 1/6pd pocket money then ,I used to go to saturday morning pictures buy a lolly then off to woolworths to buy a kit I loved the stuka.the good old days.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
My first kit was a Chevette me and my dad built together. I was probably about 7-8. We built it to look like the one my mom was driving at the time.
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 701 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC
First kits? Hmmmmmmmm...i would say it was an Airfix kit,and morethan likely one out of a bag .Possible a Spitfire or Me109.After that it was Mossies and Lancs,then German aircraft,then ships and 1/72nd scale AFV's. Then took a break when and restarted a couple of years ago on 1/35th Armour and not looked back

Later!
Hawkeye
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 1,923 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
My first was when I was about 12 . It was a plane ( I even don't remember the type) 1/72 scale. I even didn't use any paint. I made it for my TP classes ( Technical Practice - I'm not sure the english name).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hey Easy! Same story, saturday morning at the local fleapit then trawling Woolworths for the latest arrivals.. Do you remember looking at the series 4 and 5 kits and wondering who could possibly afford them? Nostalgia......Jim
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:23 PM UTC
Those Airfix bagged kits....I was always in such a rush to open them to build that 9 times out of 10 I ripped the instructions which were stapled to the top and struggled to do the kit properly. If my memory serves me well they had written instructions for half the page and exploded diagrams with arrows pointing where the parts fit together. If I didn't open the bag carefully there would be missing chunks (still stuck to the staples in the bag) in the instructions at vital points.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Jim series 4&5 were christmas only if Iwas lucky my first Tank was an Arfix h.o. scale Tiger, Im laughing here just thinking about the mess i made of those road wheels. all the best.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
Yeah, I remember those road wheels, worse though was the panther....Mine were all at different angles...... Curious how even though we've got the most amazing kits available, we still go all dewy eyed over those first efforts....Jim
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can remember wasThe Gangbusters series anyone remember them Brilliant kits .

OOH, OOH, I remember those with optional bullet hole windows and an Indian 4 cylinder motorcycle.
The first kit I remember building was a Revell (?) P-39 somewhere around 1954 or 55 with my father. I remember doing what was probably an Aurora Sioux in full headdress with my grandfather. My first solo was probably a Revell 1957 Ford Country Squire like the one we owned until it was repo'd. Also in those early years were Revell planes on the ball joint stands, someone's NS George Washington with full interior, including raised detail pin-ups on the walls and Polaris missiles that were spring launched.
Here's to the good, well, to the old days, Glad they are there and not here. :-)
 _GOTOTOP