_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What about your workbench?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi all,

These are two pics of my "Construction workbench"

and this is my "Painting workbench"

I'm just curious to hear from you if you agree with "a clean desk is sign of a sick mind" or not. I call it "dynamic chaos" a kind of semi-animated mess that changes shape every time I need to dig into it to look for something. Funny enough it takes maximum 30 secs to "extract" something sunk anywere in it...
What about yours?
Ciao
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
Bon Giorno Fabio,
I absolutely agree with you and my workbench looks almost the same as yours. my wife says : it is a mystery that you can find whatever you want in a few seconds in this chaos.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
Well since we are looking at work spaces.....here is mine.....

My desk:

Small stack O kits.....this is just what is within reach.....many more crammed away!!!!

My paint rack

And finally my fancy paint booth.....big heavy cardboard box off of our fireplace insert....bathroom fan to pull the fumes away....nothing fancy or expensive....but it works!!!

LOL.....can you guess what one of the kits I have built in the past was?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
Thanks for understanding me Graywolf!!! Unfortunately I don't speak a single word in Turkish, but I'll ask a good friend of mine who is Italian but works in Istanbul if he's prepared to give me Turkish lessons.
Hey everybody who wants to submit pic of his workbench is most welcome! This way we can show our wives/parents who are the normal ones!!!!
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
Here's some that have already been posted:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?set_albumName=albuo03&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mine's under Ben's cozy corner. :-)

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well since we are looking at work spaces.....here is mine.....

And mine, mind you, I took these pictures after I reorganized the space, if I would take picture now then they look a bit like Fabio's room. Need to clean up though, tomorow a fellow modeler will visit me

M113
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 411 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:54 AM UTC
Buon giorno anche Scoccia :-)

E certo che no vogli vedere la mia camera :-) E piccola e catastrophica anche
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:58 AM UTC
Mmm... starting to feel guilty. All these Turkish guys speaking Italian, and I don't know a single Turhish word. I have to do something...
Fro the time being a few cyber drinks for you!!!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:08 AM UTC
Too neat Roadkill,jumble it up some.I seriously doubt you build there.I think the South Park Underpants gnomes do the work for you.

It should look like this^
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
Mine is quite a bit like Ronny's. Lots of stuff everywhere, organized fairly well. When I'm in a project or two they end up right in the middle, but layed out fairly organized. My work area is about 280degrees around and packed all the way.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:09 PM UTC
Well, in for a penny............... Since this seems to be "show-n-tell" time, here's my work space. Major painting is carried out elsewhere, and I'd show my "to build" stash only they don't make wide-angle lenses that big.

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
Well, Im going to try to insert a few pics of one of my work areas... If it don't work, 'the bunker' is viewable on "the author" page from the banner below...

These pics are a little old, but other than the current mess, nothing much has changed.

P.S. If you're wondering what a bomb sounds like sliding down the tube and then exiting, go to the main page... :-)
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:18 AM UTC
Now in my opinion, that bench is "cluttered". Mine is neat and clean. Of course mine being neat and clean helps me find things quick. Like when the superglued part is sticking to my finger instead of the plane.

~Chip
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
My Workspace is Pretty much the DIning room table with a Towel and a cutting board : But when the house gets extended hopeuflly ill get a desk I can use for my PC and modelling.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
:-) Kevin
How the hell do you find anything I thought mine was to tidy
My computer backs on to my modelling area, I can nip between the big "A" and a spot of modelling :-)

This is of course a little bit tidier than normal, but I do have fairly regular tidying sessions. My airbrushing is done in the converted downstairs toilet. I am planning on converting the attic, then I'll have everything together :-)
Mal
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
As you can see,being a figure painter,i don't need a armourers workshop,LOL
Arthur
aeroswat
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
I use a table in a garage converted to a room, got a storage closet that full of kits. table is not tidy cause I usaully have a few projects going on, like right now i am working on 6 different things . got parts all over the place. usually paint outside.
Shawn
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
I guess I have one of the most tidy work areas... I often wonder if I'm in the wrong hobby, because I'm always a tidy and organized kind of person.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:44 PM UTC
I have to have two. One I use for assembly and small parts painting, the othr is for airbrush painting. Problem is I have to lug the jars of paint back and forth which sometimes makes for confusion and multiple jar purchaases. KIts are stored some place else.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:09 PM UTC
Great,
suddenly i realize mines isnt that bad! just wait til the wife moans next time might book mark this topic and show her how tidy mines is!

i'll get round to sticking a photo of mines up soon
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
I am relatively lucky. My wife once told me the basement was mine to what I wished with. And since I have started back into this hobby, modeling now occupies space on three work benches and is growing. Will post some pictures along with 'Cold War' campaign progress photos.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Whoa! Quite messy but I do like the tools you have. Might have spend a lot of $ on those items. Good thing not a single item is lost with that messy space. Ok my workbench is in a computer table. Everything is organized. I'll upload it when my computer is repaired.
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 512 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
Well I must say Gents.. some of yall have some outstanding space to work with... someday I shall have a nice one like kkeefe, man that is some set up you have there.. I'd love to have a detaild instructions fer yer lay out.. hehe that is if ya don't mind kkeefe?

anyways gonna try an post the 2 shots of My work bench

http://community.webshots.com/user/rattler75th Work Bench
well here ya go

Chris
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 04:36 AM UTC

Im bannished out to the work bench in the garage....
But now the cat keeps me company and i can paint and bang around all I want :-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I must say Gents.. some of yall have some outstanding space to work with... someday I shall have a nice one like kkeefe, man that is some set up you have there.. I'd love to have a detaild instructions fer yer lay out.. hehe that is if ya don't mind kkeefe

I don't mind at all Rattler... thanks for the comment!

That is about 15 years worth of setting up right there... picking at it here and there. When we first bought the house, I framed and paneled off the furnace room originally because I wanted to seal off the furnace equipment from the wood shop that I have on the other side of those walls.

Eventually I decided to move my 'ops' into that room and it just started out with an old picnic table covered with 1/8" thick masonite. Wanting to fill up that corner of the room, I built up the rest of the tables with 2x4s and 1x6 planks covered with masonite. I also made the shelving. I don't know off hand the exact dimensions, but it's is quite comfortable there. Plenty of room, it's warm in the winter, cool in the summer and most important it's dry down there. Only real problem is that I share it with the heating oil tank and the furnace. I have been modeling in that room for about 10 years now. Got a phone and stereo, but not enough outlets yet to put a small refridgerator in. (Does me good to get up and walk upstairs to get the beer.) Best of all, it's in the cellar, so if I get too clumsy (or drunk) and spill some paint or Bacardi, who cares....

Below is a pic of what's at my back.... Plenty of room to spread out and to have a guest or three maximum. A few almost all night building sessions there in the past drinkin' lots and lots of beer, sniffin' glue and resin and just having a good time with the guys. (Thanks must go out to the Mrs. here!) I have since added a First-Aid box. :-) The table is 1/2 of a ping-pong table.

If you need any more specifics, PM me if you'd like.

I do agree that there's some nice workshops being shown here!

_GOTOTOP