Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Stories from Afganistan
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:42 AM UTC
I got back from Afganistan on my first *tour* (thats what I called it) and all I can say is I do not want to go back. I may sound like a pussy but when you are young and dumb like me, that kind of situation is sort of scary. I remember one night when me and my friend were on fire watch / guard duty, we heard loud explosions not more than 300M away from camp. So of course, our camp was put on alert and everyone was on duty. The explosions got to within 100M and we were getting ready to retreat but they suddenly stopped. The second scariest moment was when we were patrolling through a village. Just the thought that anyone here could easily pull out an AK and mow down your entire squad without a regret made me uneasy. Anyone else serve in the Afgan?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:03 PM UTC
Nope, but served in a couple of other scary places.

That's the nature of the job.
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:18 AM UTC
Thats true, it was my first deployment though so I was scared [auto-censored]less. Coolest part was probably seeing the Leopard's going full speed through the desert, or actually being thanked for what we were doing. My father was in the CF back in the 80's and early 90's (when we still had an airborne regiment), served in Bosnia, Kosovo, the first gulf war and other places. I've heard some of his stories and godamn, I'm glad I wasn't in some of the places he was in.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:29 AM UTC
Just remember you've got folks back home who are grateful for the job you're doing. Somedays i wish i was out thier too, but i didn't join up because i knew it wasn't the future or lifestyle i wanted.

The Afgans have suffered alot through the 20th century and i feel its important to realize the super powers made mistakes and try to give those people a better future.

Don't give up, stay safe, and keep up the good work.
Francois
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
Steve -

Thanks for your service. Welcome home.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I'm sorry if I sound like a sissy, but like I said, it was my first real combat experience, so I suppose that is expected. But I'm home now, so lets celebrate!! lol
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
Steve -

You don't sound like a sissy to me! I think anyone who isn't scared outa their skull when they experience combat is either stupid or crazy.

I have worked with a couple of true "heros" over the years (Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Stars, etc.) Everyone of them clearly stated they were afraid...every time.....but training and loyalty to the others in their units kicked in and they did what they had to do to survive.

In Vietnam, every night just before dark I would take a piss...because i knew if we got hit that night, I was gonna piss my pants if I hadn't "taken precautions."

You did your duty, in spite of normal fear. You did well!! Be proud of that.

Thank you.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 04:21 PM UTC
I agree with david, you've done your job well.
Being a "sissy" because you were scared isnt legit... anyone in your case would be scared and it doesn't make you less of man.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 04:49 PM UTC
What trade(MOC) were you if you don't mind me asking?
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC
Light Infantry, the Lorne Scots regminent. And thank you to all of you, I feel better now knowing that it didn't matter if I was scared or not, it was my duty that counted.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC
All Soldiers deal with stress in many different ways.....that's when "fight or flight" kicks into gear....neither is a wrong decision....the key is to make a decision.

You have done something and gone somewhere that 10 years ago no Regular Force or Reserve Soldier would have thought would ever happen....and now you have done it as a Reservist....Well done you.

If you are staying in the Reserves it is very important to pass your knowledge of what you experienced on to others that will go on future deployments.....only through understanding what will go on physically and mentally to a person in combat will they function to a high level in combat. How do you do that? By creating realistic training that indoctrinates a soldier to the potential stress and situations they wil encounter on the battlefield during combat.

By training for combat situations such as a potential ambush in a village then a Soldier will automatically know how to react when it DOES happen in combat. Mental conditioning is just as important as physical training.....the mindset has to be not that a person thinks that there entire Squad is going to get mowed down by someone with an AK...but instead it has to be that if a deadly force threat presents itself or if the Squad is taking incoming fire then that everyone in the Squad will react with both instincts and training and win the gun fight and thereby taking out the threat.

I am by no means trying to minimize what you have experienced but I trained Soldiers while I was in the Army to be prepared to go into combat in the Leopards and I continue to train men and women to go into deadly force encounters everyday while they work. I have seen the carnage of war and seen people kill their own countrymen in Bosnia during the war....it's not like the movies. What you are experiencing is completely normal. I don't know what training you received during your work up training so I can't comment on how realistic it was. But what you are doing now is good...don't let it bottle up inside you. That being said seek out other counselling services for PTSD. Don't just rely on a modelling forum to help you...it's a start but not your complete solution.

Best of luck to you....welcome home and happy holidays.
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thank you for your support, I totally agree with you. I do offer my experience to the new guys that join us, and especially those being shipped out. Being in war has changed my view on society and has changed me as a whole. I don't think I suffer from any signs of PTSS because what I saw was not that horrific. But once again, I thank you all for your support. I posted this thread because I though others would have stories as well, so if any of you do, feel free to share.

Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC
My father served there for many years ago....
He told me a story: infantry company after carrying out an order gathered somewhere in the latter half of the mountain . Helicopters should have flown for them and soldiers designated themselves with orange smoke (there was smog in mountains). When choppers flew, pilots saw that smoke and operators made an air strike firing NGMs to the area.
There were about 15 killed and 20-25 wounded.
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got back from Afganistan on my first *tour* (thats what I called it) and all I can say is I do not want to go back. I may sound like a pussy but when you are young and dumb like me, that kind of situation is sort of scary. I remember one night when me and my friend were on fire watch / guard duty, we heard loud explosions not more than 300M away from camp. So of course, our camp was put on alert and everyone was on duty. The explosions got to within 100M and we were getting ready to retreat but they suddenly stopped. The second scariest moment was when we were patrolling through a village. Just the thought that anyone here could easily pull out an AK and mow down your entire squad without a regret made me uneasy. Anyone else serve in the Afgan?

I`d like to add that if there were the only dangers your service was quite calm
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC
A good friend of mine lost both of his legs during a firefight; along with a few of the lives of his squad mates. He doesn't talk about it much. He was due to rotate home, along with his unit, a few weeks later. Another friend I met here at school had to down a ten year old boy who fired an RPG at his passing convoy. It's some pretty rough stuff over there from what he has told me. As a Marine combat engineer and breecher he was tasked with often being the first through the door during urban combat. Some of the things he's told me about his time in Iraq are quite disturbing. Especially his time in Falluja.

-Mike
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:13 AM UTC
To an american soldier: my farther has returned, what about your??
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/500/thumbs/2lexascc.jpg
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
Personally, I'd call you stupid if you weren't scared under those conditions.

there is no shame in that kind of fear - it's a survival mechanism.
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
entire network: 206 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:08 PM UTC
If you weren't scared then something could be lose in your brain. I have lost some friends to Iraq so I understand. All the stories I hear about Afghanistan and Iraq make it sound like A living hell. I lived in Saudi during the 1st gulf and still have my Dad's Gas mask issued to him by the military. Glad your back. Don't party to hard . LOL. Cheers
smokeyjoe
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
I remember the first time I was shot at. I caught a hop in a loach from Cam Ranh Bay to Nha Trang. As we passed over the hills just north of the Bay I looked out and saw what looked like lime green tennis balls floating slowly in the air. I nudged the pilot and he took immediate evasive action. I wasn't scared at all because I didn't have any idea tracers came in different colors. I don't remember ever being scared when we were under attack. For me it was after when fear became intense and I can remember shaking uncontrollably more than once.
Once in downtown Nha Trang I missed the bus back to post. I watched the bus as a little kid on a bicycle hook a satchel charge on the grating which covered the widows. It didn't go off!! I also remember being so tired I could taste it. War hasn't changed.
Rely on your training and keep safe.
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:01 PM UTC
Hey fellas, just an update. I returned from my second deployment last week and it feels good to be home. Afghanistan hasn't changed at all since I was last there, we didn't get any real confrontation and for five months I basically patrolled, drilled, and relaxed. One of my friends I made there during my first deployment apparently got sent to Germany because he took a nice little fall and broke his leg and ankle. But other than that everything was good and quiet. I'm up for my third deployment coming up in mid-september so until then, it's time to get my hobby on!!
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hey Steve, I am in KAf right now. Nice to have the internet on deployment. I was also in the Lorne Scots, A Coy and later in the 81mm mortar pl. Which armory do you parade out of?

Well, welcome home! You must have been part of R4 TF HQ that just left last month? Get a lot of Greenbeans into you :-)?

That's pretty brutal you just finished a tour and are already slated for TF 3-08. All the guys I know on TF 3-08 started training back in April, and have already done all their CMTC / Wx. Must be hard getting put into a unit that has already formed up and gone through most of their work ups?

I just passed my 1/2-way point, and am coming back to the GWN for some leave. After that, it will only be another 10 weeks until I am home for good, at least until Roto 9, haha.
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
I am also in A coy and we parade out of the armoury in Oakville. We did have a fair amount of greeners but I was once green too so I don't pick on them too much lol It's not bad, I just have alot of work to do to catch up. Good to hear that you are coming back, it's always a good thing when one of our own comes back home. Take care and stay safe
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Heya, thanks for the kinds words.

Oh, by Greenbeans, I didn't mean new guys (greeners), I meant the Greenbeans coffee shops that are on KAF. I thought everyone went there - guess not. They have better java than Timmies. Sacrilige, I know.

I'm going to hit up the souk , maybe aussie Mike's or Vivian's for some cheap gold (Hey T - were you able to get they day off at Mirage?)

Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 03:32 PM UTC
Hey G

Not sure if I can get the time off. I am off doing armored recon from my base of ops in between semesters whilst prepping for my next deployment. (that be code)

See you upon your arrival with a cool one (strictly legal of course).

T
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:45 AM UTC
LOL

Tommy be safe doing that "recon" and make sure your "squad" has its head on a swivel. And when "drilling" keep your powder dry.

Mark