Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Stories from Afganistan
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC
Well,

I hope I am not speaking out of turn... Not been in Afghanistan, not even in the military. In one of my classes there was a fellow student who still is in the military and who served there... although not with the Dutch deployment in Uruzgan but with the airmobile rapid reaction force.

And his story was more or less the same as yours. Also very ambivalent about going back. On the one hand he misses the comradery and the ' living on an edge' (for lack of better words), on the other hand the fear and apprehension of losing more men under his command (he lost some of his men on a patrol due to IED's that also killed some engineers that came in to defuse them)). He did tell us as well of the uncertainty of what would happen next moment.

His presentation was indeed impressive.

I have heared a few horror stories from a former colleague who grew up in Beirut during the civil war... while his father was a commander of a number of men there.

So all I can say is keep safe as best as you can...

Harm
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got back from Afganistan on my first *tour* (thats what I called it) and all I can say is I do not want to go back. I may sound like a pussy but when you are young and dumb like me, that kind of situation is sort of scary. I remember one night when me and my friend were on fire watch / guard duty, we heard loud explosions not more than 300M away from camp. So of course, our camp was put on alert and everyone was on duty. The explosions got to within 100M and we were getting ready to retreat but they suddenly stopped. The second scariest moment was when we were patrolling through a village. Just the thought that anyone here could easily pull out an AK and mow down your entire squad without a regret made me uneasy. Anyone else serve in the Afgan?

I didn't serve in Afghanistan but served as an advisor with the Iraqi Army. When we went on patrol I was generally alone with my Iraqi soldiers without all the fancy support that you grow accustomed to in a Western military. In your case what can you really do, it's just like crossing a street you really don't know if the car will stop. We take risks everyday and you can minimize them. Generally when I was on patrol and someone pulled a gun he or she died, if they threatened us they got arrested. I know it also depends on your rules of engagement, I was always comfortable with mine "If your life or the life of anyones else is in danger"...

Tanks
Andy
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey fellas, just an update. I returned from my second deployment last week and it feels good to be home. Afghanistan hasn't changed at all since I was last there, we didn't get any real confrontation and for five months I basically patrolled, drilled, and relaxed. One of my friends I made there during my first deployment apparently got sent to Germany because he took a nice little fall and broke his leg and ankle. But other than that everything was good and quiet. I'm up for my third deployment coming up in mid-september so until then, it's time to get my hobby on!!

That seems to be interesting, did you hear somethiong about prince Harry, did you meet him?
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:16 PM UTC
I just want to say thank you, to all of you, wherever you served, for doing a great job in a scary place so the rest of us can sleep safely in our beds. My dad was a WW2 vet, and he told me some hair-raising stories about his time in the South Pacific. What cause is there for shame? I'm sure everyone who sees combat is frightened. I'm sure I would be. But I appreciate what you've done, and are still doing. Stay safe.
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 07/03/08 - 03:01:04 (GMT).
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:01 PM UTC
Mark is right, we do not entertain political ranting (from any political side) in our forums.
As this is the forum for Soldier's stories, we allow a bigger margin, but if the line is crossed, I will pull the plug.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
Rant removed. Please obey the rules and stay on topic.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 03:49 PM UTC
Didn't mean to start anything, guys. Of course, I have my own party preference, my own political ideology, to which I cling tenaciously. Don't mistake my desire to remain apolitical on this forum for apathy or ignorance! It's just that I prefer an apolitical forum, so we can focus exclusively on modeling, the hobby that unites us.
For the record, I honor and look up to all soldiers, from every era, from every country, even those who fought for causes I don't believe it. I think all of them deserve my respect.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't mean to start anything, guys. Of course, I have my own party preference, my own political ideology, to which I cling tenaciously. Don't mistake my desire to remain apolitical on this forum for apathy or ignorance! It's just that I prefer an apolitical forum, so we can focus exclusively on modeling, the hobby that unites us.
For the record, I honor and look up to all soldiers, from every era, from every country, even those who fought for causes I don't believe it. I think all of them deserve my respect.

No worries with your part of my post. But the one after yours went too far.
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't mean to start anything, guys. Of course, I have my own party preference, my own political ideology, to which I cling tenaciously. Don't mistake my desire to remain apolitical on this forum for apathy or ignorance! It's just that I prefer an apolitical forum, so we ,we certainly can focus exclusively on modeling the hobby that unites us.

Well, how smart you are! If you prefer an apolitical forum remove this topic and we certainly can focus exclusively on modeling
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 02:01 AM UTC
I'm no genius, just an average guy. But I'm smart enough to understand that arguing about the foreign policies of your country and mine will do nothing but create bad feelings. It's good to talk about the stories of soldiers, and military history. That pertains to modeling. I just don't want to argue with anyone. I don't come here for that, and I don't believe you do either.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC
And another thing, Aleksey, I almost forgot to say, have a happy Belarus Independence Day. Isn't it funny, yours is today, and ours is tomorrow.
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And another thing, Aleksey, I almost forgot to say, have a happy Belarus Independence Day. Isn't it funny, yours is today, and ours is tomorrow.

Well guys, I`m terribly sorry! You see I`m being decline a bit (

Thank you very much for the greetings!!!! Please, accept mine, I know from the USA Histoty, that`s a really great holiday for all of you!!
Cheers!

lonscotman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 06:21 AM UTC

Hi all..
Saw this post and thought i'd give a short reply.
My former unit served in Iraq three years ago and last year served in Afghanistan.
While in Iraq the closest they came to getting hurt was an IED which went off extremely close to their armoured land rovers and injured a couple of the men with shrapnel.
One man got hit with a piece which took a chunk out of his helmet but thankfully only gave him a headache and the other soldier got hit on the neck.
They are a T.A unit and extremely professional,so much so than a regular officer complimented them not realising that they weren't regulars.
It isn't just full time soldiers risking their lives but T.A and National Guard as well as others so we should be grateful so much as to quote someone many years ago "they are twice the soldier"
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 04:47 PM UTC
I'm heading for Afghanistan this week. But I'm not in the military but as a Civilian Contractor. I also just did a year in Iraq.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC
i know this isnt as authentic as everyone elses story, but i was in the army cadets once.
we were on a excersize, sa80's full of blanks, the sgtmaj thought the sun shone out of my ass because i was the cultured one of the bunch, music readin all that cack.
so basically im ,meat to everyone else, it was an epic battle, devon vs cornwall, kinda reminiscant of the dirty dozen(without the changing of armbands)lol)
so before we decided to move in we were sent on some recce patrols, i was sent on one at 4-5 pm and 11pm, on the 4-5 pm patrol i was pointman, that was hell of a fun, but also, because i took it v seriously helluva jumpy at points, there were 3 memorable occasions the first was a corner i had to scout, that was sketchy:D it was open country to the left and a hill, and a hedge on the right curving right. it was hairy going round there.
second was a civillian walking a dog we scared the crap uot of, there were like 7 of us al camoed up witha all the scrub and foliage and cam cream, and seh didnt notice us, she saw a gun, and then us, turned around and her and her dog were gone in seconds, hehe
the third occatsion was when i was scouting again, i turened a corner, there was a cornwall patroll, all looking the other way, i was only a few meters away, so slowly i slunk back round the corner and one loud idiot said,, hey did you here that:P
the night patrol was uneventfull.
next day we attacked there base at 3am
woke em all up we were on a ridge whilst some noobs ran in the camp. i tell yuo real combat must be quite confusing.
when we walked off back to the bedfords victorious, the cornish started fifing their blanks at us from behind ,the referees knocked a lot fo points off for that

not Afghanistan but a good story anyway
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,548 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 07:48 AM UTC
i havent served too young . But my brother is in the welsh guards he passed basuc training then went to iraq , its not afghanistan but he is going in a year . Anyway he was on a convoy in a warrior when it got attacked a rpg hit the warrior the crew and my brother were stunned and he was reading black hawk down and the book exploded with all the pages on the floor he laughed after he walked away from it !

Martyn !
RMC123
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
i serve in the royal artillery, starting to else why all the vets cant hear.
Whitey
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys, I'm sorry if I sound like a sissy, but like I said, it was my first real combat experience, so I suppose that is expected. But I'm home now, so lets celebrate!! lol

Anyone who says he was in combat and wasn't scared, is either lying about being in combat or lying about being scared.

Don't know who said it first but: "Bravery doesn't mean you aren't scared, it means you go anyway."

Somalia 8/93 - 12/93, Iraq, 4/2003 - 8/2004.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone who says he was in combat and wasn't scared, is either lying about being in combat or lying about being scared.

Amen..

I was attached to 10 Mtn Div in Ghan. Fun times.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 03:41 AM UTC
Ghazni, Paktia, Paktika, and Parwan in 2010. B TRP 1/172nd CAV, We lived with the Polish Army at FOB Vulcan for awhile, including when that ANA soldier shot the Polish MP on our FOB. Never saw anyone look so angry as that Pole, not that I blamed him. I guess we were doing green on blue before it was cool.

First time I got shot at I was so excited I didn't really feel like I had time to be scared, just looking for the jackass shooting at me so I could shoot back. When he got away I was pissed. Small arms fire and IDF never really scared me, IED's however, those suck. I've told him this before, but Tankfixxers products saved my life and the lives of my friends many times.

My sister company is currently in Kunar. There are many days I wish I had gone with them when I had the chance.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ghazni, Paktia, Paktika, and Parwan in 2010. B TRP 1/172nd CAV, We lived with the Polish Army at FOB Vulcan for awhile, including when that ANA soldier shot the Polish MP on our FOB. Never saw anyone look so angry as that Pole, not that I blamed him. I guess we were doing green on blue before it was cool.

First time I got shot at I was so excited I didn't really feel like I had time to be scared, just looking for the jackass shooting at me so I could shoot back. When he got away I was pissed. Small arms fire and IDF never really scared me, IED's however, those suck. I've told him this before, but Tankfixxers products saved my life and the lives of my friends many times.

My sister company is currently in Kunar. There are many days I wish I had gone with them when I had the chance.

I was in Paktika Province. ( Firebase Harriman) My team and I wreaked havoc on the governor's office building, to put it mildly. But that is not the purpose of my post. If I had to mention every time I got shot at, starting with the very first day I arrived, it would make for a very long and boring post, although those who have seen my bike might recognize my air intake as the rear of one of the 107mm rockets fired at us that landed next to our house.

No, I think I have a more appropriate story for the holidays. I the first time I told it to my daughter she had tears in here eyes.

I was sitting with some friends of mine, officers in the ANA cadre one day while waiting for the chow truck to arrive. It prompted to to form my very first grammatically correct sentence in Dari. "Lanati lorri i nan kujast?" That prompted quite a bit of laughter. Hopefully someone can translate that for you. The first word is probably not found in any Dari for Beginners dictionary.
Well, the truck and arrived and we began to eat. Same thing every day - Kabuli Palau, and one of the very little cans of Pepsi. While we ate, some of my rice fell on the ground. One of the children who often was around to pick up our brass picked the rice out of the dust (this was in 2002 before the 9 year drought ended) and began to eat it. I was so moved by this I gave him my plate, and did so every day that we were there, provided he share it. To this day, I do not waste any food, nor do I allow my kids to. It sickens me to watch people, overweight ones especially, leave enough food on their plates in restaurants to feed a kid like that for a week.
Thankfully my daughter learned from that experience and is at ten years old, is truly one of the most generous people I know, even more so than I. During this holiday season I would love for others to remember this story. Muslims practice this as one of the five pillars. What I love about their tradition is that it is done anonymously - the recipient never knows who the benefactor is. It often seems here that when a celebrity makes a donation it has to become a newsworthy event.
At any rate, no guns, no terror, no bravery, just a little Afghan kid who I hope will remember that some of us really were there to help them.
Lector
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... While we ate, some of my rice fell on the ground. One of the children who often was around to pick up our brass picked the rice out of the dust (this was in 2002 before the 9 year drought ended) and began to eat it. I was so moved by this I gave him my plate, and did so every day that we were there, provided he share it. To this day, I do not waste any food, nor do I allow my kids to. It sickens me to watch people, overweight ones especially, leave enough food on their plates in restaurants to feed a kid like that for a week.
Thankfully my daughter learned from that experience and is at ten years old, is truly one of the most generous people I know, even more so than I. During this holiday season I would love for others to remember this story. Muslims practice this as one of the five pillars. What I love about their tradition is that it is done anonymously - the recipient never knows who the benefactor is. It often seems here that when a celebrity makes a donation it has to become a newsworthy event.

At any rate, no guns, no terror, no bravery, just a little Afghan kid who I hope will remember that some of us really were there to help them.

put bold text here

Mr. Skipper,

No additional comments: it would be boring & redundant:

just a simple "thumbs up"

Cheers
RG

Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 378 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi all Interesting Topic I served there In 2012 I had some of the best times I could have ever Had The friendships that were forged and the things I learnt about myself will stay with me forever Though I will say there isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about being over there A large part of me misses being there which might sound strange On being scared I don't think there was a time I was never scared I remember litteraly argueing with my mind and trying to convince myself that I would make it out alive This went on for a whole week It almost drove me Nuts, Funny though how you get used to living In Between Life and death with no real belief other than what you were doing right then and to think about the things you would do when you got Home I tried not to think of as it just seemed so uncertain The thing that hurts the most Is seeing or hearing about other Soldiers Close Friends or any other Veteran That is suffering Imensely from their time spent In Afghanistan To stand by and watch a Fit and Highly Motivated soldier become wrecked Mentaly is Very Difficult, On going back I would do it but not with out a lot of anxiety especialy being aware of the risks involved something that you don't realy fully understand until you have Been to one of these Places I could write so much more But I probably still haven't worked all of it out yet Any way that's my Input I am very interested to hear more of what some of you guys think or share your Thoughts On Afgahnistan Cheers Ben.