Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Stories from Afganistan
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 05:01 PM UTC
How old were you when you signed up ?
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
My wife and I just recently found out we are expecting our first child. I bring this up because in our conversations she brought up something that I think some in here can relate to (in their own way of course). She asked me "what am I supposed to tell our kid when dadie is drunk wearing his helmet playing video games?" As if it's somehow odd to wear an ACH or CVC while drinking and playing world of tanks. LoL

I think the hardest part about going to combat is the fact that is never really leaves us. Just turned down a promotion into a unit that would be doing detainee operations at Bagram for a year. I have worked at the USDB with pedophiles and murderers, and I'd take that any day of the week over dealing with the savages over there in that capacity.

I will say that for me personally, it's interesting how romantic the notion of combat is/was. It sure didn't seem that way at the time!
silo1483
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 04:43 PM UTC
I just returned from the Helmand providence last year. I have to say Afghanistan is night and day from Iraq. had plenty of close calls in afghan, but truly thankful to be back. and just wanted to say thanks to all of the veterans on this site who have served in the past, presents and future.