_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
What happened to this Community?!
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hi guys am new to this site but when i found it when i decided to take up my old hobby again i was so happy there's a Singapore forum for modelling!! But after a while i realised that its really quite a deadtown with regards to responses or posts! WHERE HAVE ALL OUR LOCAL BUILDERS GONE???? Maybe that's why i go check out Military Modelling site for more postings and info.... But i really hope that the traffic picks up here, at least more info to share with local kakis!! Just my 2cts worth, sorry if i have offended anymore! I mean no harm....
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys am new to this site but when i found it when i decided to take up my old hobby again i was so happy there's a Singapore forum for modelling!! But after a while i realised that its really quite a deadtown with regards to responses or posts! WHERE HAVE ALL OUR LOCAL BUILDERS GONE???? Maybe that's why i go check out Military Modelling site for more postings and info.... But i really hope that the traffic picks up here, at least more info to share with local kakis!! Just my 2cts worth, sorry if i have offended anymore! I mean no harm....

well it use to be very happening but now tone down liao. I think everyone busy on the external forum. i do hop down here hoping to find answers to my questions and stuff. I guess people change? haha. Wars re not settle with meer donuts.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
So lets start a camp fire and keep it burning! We've got 3 here and that's a small company already.

So what do you guys build lately? Purchased anything interesting? Where do you guys shop locally for modelling products?

For me, I'm into 1/35 mostly, dabble here and there into other things as well just to get a fresh breather.

Lately I've been on a small spending spree, bought:
1 - Dragon PzIIIJ I love the Panzer IIIs
2 - Academy M7 Priest - a welcoming kit but not without work to get it accurised...bummer...

At the moment, working on a few projects:
1 - Dragon M1A2 SEP Abrams - cool but will take forever to complete
2 - Finishing on Dragon Panzer IV F2, gonna finish this as a LAH vehicle using my own decals
3 - Started on the Academy M7 Priest - not bad build fits like gloves most of the parts
4 - took out an age old AFV Club Wiesel with 20mm gun and trying to push it to completion...

What have I completed lately? None... I just jump from project to project until I can get to paint them...

Tag, you're it. Your turn to say something now - keep the fire burning folks...

Lawrence
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:09 PM UTC
Okay... my marshmellows are burning and melting away.... So many views on this thread but no replies?

Geez, Okay, lets start another topic....Who's going to Euromilitaire NEXT year??? I think we'll get to fly the A380!
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
Was out of town n just got back to chk out this forum. loh n behold there is LIFE!!! 3 responses finally hooray!! Managed to pick up a modelloing figures book, a static Mag glass holder with flexible clamps n a pippette for mixing thinner n paint! Hahahahah no model kits i'm afraid, Bangkok is rather scarce whe it comes to model kit shops.
Am building my Stug A after 30 years n have just done the primer stage. Cant wait to paint it, fingers itchy leow! In my stash, i have a Dragon 3-in-1 Tiger and an AFV Michael Wittmann Tiger lurking. Plus just got a Premium Kit Panther from the Bay and enroute from Hong Kong. That should keep me busy for a couple of mths at least....Don't know about you guys but i tend to hoard n buy on impulse...esp German Panzers! Haiz...don't know how long it will take me to finish my stash hahahahahah! Cheers & Thanks to my bros who replied to my thread! So good to see SIN forum still got a bit of LIFE kekekeekek!
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 05:51 PM UTC
Looks like you're Wittmann fan, eh? His early ride was a StuG A.

Sorry, I was going to respond to this post yesterday, wrote a long message and then accidentally hit a wrong button, when I hit the back button, the message was gone... I thought I shouldn't use more time...

Have you tried Dragon's latest Panzer III and Panzer IV kits? These day, Dragon kits rules (in general that is), crisp as hell, filled to the brim with detailing parts (almost no need for AMs). But AFV Club, Bronco, Tristar and Trumpeters aren't far behind either... These day, 1/35 modellers jump for joy!

Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Lawrence sorry to hear bout your keyboard mishap!! Yeah am kind of a fan of Wittman as well as Otto Carrius! No i havent tried the Dragon PAnzers yet but was tempted very much by the Vorpanzer though! With the Panzers i tend to like the short barrelled versions rather than the long ones. But you are so right about the Dragon kits nowadays, they ROCK! It clearly show they take the time & effort to research their kits before releasing them But 1 thing that baffles me is why only now do they release kits with Zimmerit??? Maybe its to keep the AM alive hahahah! Bad news for us in Singapore as zimm kits are damm hard to come by in local shops! I have yet to try out other brands except for my AFV Tiger which i am reluctant to break seal heh heh but i heard Trumpter is pretty bad though! I will be attending my 1st refresher course at M Workshop tomorrow to bring me up to speed on current technics after 30 years! Have to get the rust off my hands!!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC
Sorry for the late reply on the forum,
I m sure there are other modellers who come here and browse but never really response. I was here when Psyfool, Danial were still very active. I m not sure where they are now, though Danial is still working on models.
Currently, i m busy with work, my scale model craze kinda shrank when i started flying RC helicopters way back in 2005. Once i started going into nitro helicopters, i totally stop modelling. A year ago, i started flying planes, a C-130, then to warbirds, from there i started to make models again, cos i have to try the paint on the 1/72 scale to trash them before i spray the real coat on my RC planes. I ve build a Zero fighter, Mustang, AT-6 Texan and a P-40N. Currently i m working on my A-4 project, will be getting a twin seater ducted fan A-4 soon. So in preparation for its arrival, i bought a Fujimi Kit A-4E to trash with, also have a 1/48 A-4E which i intend to mod into a local version. Though i have the colors for the local camou, i m still hesitating to select this scheme due to my masking skills. Thus i also keep white and red paint handy for a black knights scheme.
I m also completing my 1/48 Academy F-16C the razorbacks soon.

If anybody could show me how to do a proper mask, i dont mind bringing down my 3 cans of paint and my 1/48 A-4 to ur location.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi Jack,

Learn well at the M-workshop, I know Bernard and vise versa. No, I'm not his student. If you want to learn about AFV painting techniques then he's the guy to go to. For him it isn't just about having fun with the airbrush and getting you crazy like silly little kids when they can get their hands on crayons... Most of the guys after going through the course, more or less see a big improvement in their skills. This you can see on the displays. He's also very up-to-date with current advanced painting and weathering techniques, so you'll be sure that your models don't look "over-drybrushed" and "super highlighted" (like the out-of-fashion Verlinden days...) .

Ah, so you and me are quite similar in tastes, I'm a fan of the two as well, but Ernst Barkmann (Panther Ace) as well. Also, Lafayette Poole (Sherman Ace) - I have an M4A1 (76) to be built in his name and his mount "In the Mood".

Yes, Vorpanzer IV is the kit to have, because the previous Ausf E kit was full of errors (I have that and it's being relegated to spares bin). Plus I didn't like their earlier attempts at super-detailing - it's an overkill and slows down the building process. These days, the Premium or Smart kits are a lot better, enough details and not too many parts. Frankly, I feel that they can "slide-mold" all they want just as long as they don't increase the number of parts unecessarily. If Dragon wants us to buy more of their kits then make the kits easier to build (and faster too) without sacrificing details, so that we can clear the stash faster and make more room for kits! Not an easy engineering task, but something worth thinking about.
I don't mind repeat buying of the same kit, just as long as I can clear the kit out of the way (even unpainted but ready for paint). The boxes are just taking too much space!

Anyway, maybe we'll bump into each other at M-Workshop one of these days.

Btw, the name's Lawrence. Glad to know ya!
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
Wish i could help wih the masking bro but i have yet to do my 1st plane !! Hehehe! but i must admit when i started modelling in my younger days , it was the ultimate fantasy to build RSAF's planes! But back then, there was neither the info other than the occasional pics in pioneer mag of resources like decals to help modellers along!! I guess modellers now have it so much easier! But if you would be so kind as to post the progress of your Skyhawk, it would definitely be a Blast from ther past for me!!!
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi Erizemen,

Your F-16 looks okay. I may not sound like I'm an aircraft fan but I do build them, you can see my Tamiya Me262 (converted from 2a model when the 1a hasn't been released yet) and F-104G Starfighter (messed up my canopy-what the heck...) at HobbyPoint (Tiong Bahru) along with my AFV builds (StuG G, Famo-trailer + Crusader I, PzIII, Steyr 1500, 250 Neu Art, Leopard 2A4, 2A5). Recently I've got Eduard's Fw190A8 and Bf110E, a piece each. They are the kits of to be wanted! Can't wait to start them. I'm also an F-4 fan.

As to your question about masking. Are you trying to achieve almost hard-edged demarcation with a bit of overspray without looking sprayed? Cheem huh? Well, one well know technique is to use children's play clay - (not the oily ones), maybe playdoh would work. Do a long role and place it on the demarcation lines of the camouflage, then mask the rest of the area off with Tamiya masking tape - best masks in my opinion but never cheap. They never leave any unwanted residue and do not pull off the paint. But decals they will - so be careful. I'm going to assume you're using an airbrush. If using hand-paint, best of luck because it's never going to look smooth, even with proper masking techniques.

Cheers,

Lawrence

If anybody could show me how to do a proper mask, i dont mind bringing down my 3 cans of paint and my 1/48 A-4 to ur location. [/quote]
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC
i m using direct spray can, dont own an air spray system. I would love to have one, but i dont have the space for it. Yes i will try the blue tack method, but the large Ducted Fan A-4 Jet is big, wing span is about 1m. So i m gonna need alot of blue tack.
And academy makes such wonderfull models, i m so tempted to get another F-16 or an F-15.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i m using direct spray can, dont own an air spray system. I would love to have one, but i dont have the space for it. Yes i will try the blue tack method, but the large Ducted Fan A-4 Jet is big, wing span is about 1m. So i m gonna need alot of blue tack.
And academy makes such wonderfull models, i m so tempted to get another F-16 or an F-15.

Okay, spray cans are okay, but make sure you mask like hell - because the overspray is HUGE... I know because I also build cars... (just to dabble in everything I think is beautiful...) Which is the same for you.

The first trick to learn - don't start spraying right over the model because that will leave large "spurts" of paint on it. You start outside of the model, while finger still on the nozzle, go over the model, back and forth (left to right to left to right), and point outside the model when you want to end the spray. The beginning and end of spraying are very important - both must be outside of the model or else you'll have ugly "spurts" on the surface. The distance between the nozzle and the model surface is also important - don't get too close - you need a space of about 12-15cm. Also, the speed of spraying motion is to be controlled. Going too slow means a huge build-up of paint on the model-avoid going too slow at all costs. The speed needs to be just nice. This takes practise - and practise you'll need, find a junk model to practise on until you get the hang of spraying perfect coats.

One last advice, airbrush is still the best way to go for superb finishes...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
Here's the Me262 I was talking about... Balkankreuz, fuselage bands and numbers, leaping hound insignias are all masked and airbrushed. The kill marks are hand painted, the rest are kit decals.

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Have you ever considered flying an RC ME-262? It is possible you know, you dont need to break and arm and a leg to get it.
Most aircraft, jets, warbirds etc are made from foam from china or taiwan, thus its quite affordable to own them. HElicopters, well thats expensive.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Erizemen,

You seems well versed with RC birds? Now that's an area I've never attempted - mainly because they are costly and you have to travel quite far to an area to see it fly. Plus, one bird alone will take up much precious space in a crampy flat...

Not an arm and a leg? How much will an RC Me262 cost? I've seen the foam ones - all seems to go foam these days mainly because it speeds up construction and lessens the costs - urm I read these in the magazines... I hope you're not talking about a Me262 lookalike with propellers, I mean that is an insult to a flying legend!

Where do you normal go fly your planes, btw? I'm considering RC boats, mainly because the subject is fresh - we don't get too many racing boat models. Would love a Class 1 Powerboat RC one day. FYI, Class 1s are huge, super sleak, a class higher than the Formula boats that raced around Marina Bay. On the real thing, we're talking about two V12 engined cattamarans! Pure speed demons of the sea! http://www.class-1.com/ Check out the videos... The RC versions aren't that far off...
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC
Greetings Lawrence,
I hope i can stir an interest in you to consider flying rc planes. Firstly, the afforadable jets are known as EDF Electric Ducted Fan. An ME-262 would have 2 55mm fans mounted at the wings just like the ME-262 that you have made.

Here is a picture of the aircraft when assembled before painting. Dont get the wrong idea about the foam. The foam used on this aircrafts are not ur typical packing foam or toy foam. These are EPO foams, which are very strong. My C-130 took so much beating and hard landing, it finally retired cost it got too heavy with epoxy.
My Skyhawk have reach SIngapore, will have to collect it at the post office tomorrow. Cos nobody was home today to collect it
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi Erizemen,

I think I saw the colored version on the cover of one RC aircraft magazine at a local bookstore this evening. Thanks for showing me the uncolored version. How much does the whole kit cost? I presume that it doesn't come with the controller nor the servos?

Comparing with the model, the RC version looks on the money, except that the openings of the jet intakes looks a tad overscale - but no one would complain since it looks this good already.

And where can you legally fly this thing?

Your C-130??? Man that thing must look really huge in order to incorporate the smallest of the props.

Cheers!
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC
Wow thats an impressive lookin 262!! Whats the cost of a basic setup bro?
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hi Erizemen and Jack,

I did a search on ebay, and found the answers. The basic setup (no servo, controller, etc etc) will cost about USD150. Full set about 350 (rough figure only, guys).

But I wasn't attracted by the Me262, their Prop WWII kits are extremely stunning! We're talking about (almost) true to scale and realistic landing struts! I'm craving for the FW190, Bf109, P40, and even the Spitfire looks very in-scale! They have Zeros, Stukas, etc. But dang, gimme a Butcher bird anyday!

Erizemen, do you buy the basic kit overseas and then get your controllers,servos, batteries locally?

We can have our own classic dogfight and aerial combat anyday!

Hmmm...now how can we arm the birds to achieve greater realism?.....

Btw, the 1/40 Schnellboote is extremely tempting too......
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:24 PM UTC
Gentlemen,
I am glad that you are impress with the models. Lets put it in Singapore Context and a bit about my flying experience.
Firstly, to start with RC and to stay in RC i would say you need to start with at least $400-$500 worth of investment. The main bulk of the cost will go to your electronics. A standard Warbird like a zero fighter without retracts would need the following stuff.

Firstly a transmitter an receiver about 4Channel. This one is the one i would recommend newbies. 6channel room for expansion for retracts, bomb drops etc.
http://rcehobby.com/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=262

You ll need 3-5 servos depending on the control options. Ailerons, Elevator, rudder. The cheapest would cost about $9.90ea

The speed controller, to control the current draw to the motor. Brushless ESC would cost $20-30.

Motor, brush motor would be cheaper with brush ESC> but no power slow like a school bus. Brushless motor, would need a brushless esc. Brushless motor ranges from $20-$50 depending on the specs you want.

Lastly the batteries and charger. For a small plane like a zero you would need a 3S 1800maH Lithium Polymer battery. That also comes in many brands and you are spoil for choices by price. A basic zero fighter kit, would cost about $40, the plane is an expandable item..its the electronics that you cant afford to loose.

I started in this hobby as a helicopter pilot, its the hardest RC to learn to fly. Though, being able to fly helicopters, i do not have much problems transitting to planes, although it took me sometime to get use to approach and landing. I started with planes only last year, when i saw a prototype Skyhawk on a forum. It got me interested to fly planes, i started on a C-130, when thru a few warbirds and now finally i have that Skyhawk with me and now waiting for me to work on it.

I would love to entertain you guys at my place to show you the models and the basic stuff so that you can consider this hobby. Check your PM, i have forward you guys my hp no.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
though theres always a cheaper alternative to everything..a trainer would set you back about $139 per kit. BUt its a trainer...so dont expect a warbird stunt or much of a dogfighter...
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC
400 to 500 isn't that steep a price, though pricey nevertheless - maybe for a guy who hasn't tried RC flying before and spoilt silly by Dragon Armor kits hehehe.... But I'm not complaining - Tamiya cars (with petrol engines) cost about that and maybe a lot more? Correct me if I'm wrong. And Tamiya's latest RC Armor - man those are star attractions - goes above a grand. The Leopard 2 is way above SGD1500 I think... So, for something that can dog fight and aerial stunts - 400 to 500 isn't too big a deal. Have you see the GFK (Go Fly Kite) products? They performed at night during the National Day at the Marina Bay. Cool and funky some may say. But without cool techno music and the moon, they are just urm manouerable kites... The basic setup is about 350 to 400 and can go much higher for complicated kits. And they looked no where near a Butcher bird!

Thanks for your phone number Erizemen, I may take your offer up to check out your "kites" one day when I'm not so tied up - kinda busy these couple of days before taking a long break soon.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
You cant compare Kites to warbirds. Firstly, the cost of running kites are way lower its only the vendor that mark up the price to such steep angle. Firstly looking at a structure of a kite, its just Carbon Fibre rods bend and "wrap" up with a fabric. Put some small servos, motor, ESC and a receiver. With such cost, you are better off with a warbird. As a fixed and rotary winged pilot, i do not like the presence of kites in my flying area. Firstly kite pilots are normally newbie and some dont even practice frequency safety nor checks. I m no longer effected by frequency checks cos i m using 2.4Ghz. But i do hear of nightmare stories where kite pilots just "plug&play" without checking others around. Thus the glitch in frequency cause some other more expensive helicopters or aircraft to crash.
If you are keen to find out about kit prices, try www.rotor.com.sg the shop might quote a pricey tag, but for now they have one of the best support for cheap warbirds.
I strongly prefer to get my warbirds direct from taiwan, cos the models which i wanted are not carried by any of the vendors here. The F-15, A-4, AT-6 Texan, P-40 from GWS of taiwan are not carried by any vendor here. Though you can still get a P-38 and a ME-262 locally but running them can be quite expensive to start with. Cheaper models from GWS which are available at rotor are Zero Fighter, Corsair, Mustang and Spitfire. These are the cheapest warbirds around.
Currently there are only 3 Skyhawks, 4 Texans, maybe 2 P-40, 2 F-15 which are from GWS flown by locals here. Other GWS aircrafts such as the Mustang, zero, spitfires are common here. Nevertheless, please come over my place to view the models first before you jump into a commitment with a vendor, cos not all vendors are nice to newbies. When i first started i got CON big time by a shop in lucky plaza, i paid $400 for a kit that cost only $189.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi Erizemen,

I agree with you fully about the overpriced RC kites. Actually, I saw them demonstrating at night at a certain field. They are quite interesting at first, my kid was bugging me to go up the show room to take a look. Before we went up, I warned him that such an RC item won't be cheap - it's going to cost us S$150 approx. My jaw dropped after the visit - and it was a quick U-turn when I found out the cost...

Anyway, back to the warbirds. Thanks for the AWS! I've tried to search through the website you provided, but I didn't find anything I was looking for. The GWS warbirds weren't the ones I was looking for. Just a few days ago, I found these on a ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/RC-WORLD-INTERNATIONAL_ELECTRIC-GAS-PLANES_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Check out the range of WWII warbirds they offer! They almost look like scale models! The landing struts are like exact replica! And so are the spinners! The blade counts are correct! 4 for Spitfire Mk IX, Mustangs 3 for the Bf109, Fw190. They look real too!

My favourite:
http://www.rcworlddealer.com/sitebuilder/images/b_fw_titul_1_-692x486XXX.jpg (remove XXX).

These were the birds I saw, but I don't think they are available locally right? How about Taiwan store you mentioned?

Cheers,

Lawrence
 _GOTOTOP