_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Where do you display your models?
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC
Just wondering where y'all put your models when they are done. I am tight on space as it is (which is why I took 5 years off) and don't know where I will put mine. I will be glad in a few years when we decide to look for a larger home with a bonus room (they don't make basements down here in the south).
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 04:47 PM UTC
Mine have the glorius distinction of spending a few days on the entertainment center in the living room and then going to the basement ... only to be brought out at shows.... Hopefully that will change when we get a house.

Nate
Wisc. USA
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 04:59 PM UTC
my completely overflowing room!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
In a box, sometimes the original kit box, stuck in a larger box and brought out to the shed or garage. Usually stays there until the next move when it gets damaged, then dumped into a larger box (normally the type copier paper comes in) and never sees the light of day again.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
Well, on a shelf.. but now I have two tanks, my T-26E and my M48A3 in a case at the American Legion hall! I am a member and they have an empty display case in the lounge and I am going to put my best stuff there...

At least someone else, who appreciates them, will see them!
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:31 PM UTC
2-2
You get many commebnts on your stuff at the hall?

Nate
Wisc. USA
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:35 PM UTC
On my shelves in my room. Then when those are full, all you can do is send the vets to the "big ol' display case in the sky" if you can't bear to trash em you will just have to packrat them away somewhere!
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:54 PM UTC
Well there is a couple on the Entertainment stand, a couple on my computer desk in my office and i just bought a cheesy little china cabinet that holds 12 1/48 aircraft for 12 dollars at a garage sale. Anything extra goes in one of those large flat plastic boxes that slide under your bed. Long term storage I call it. I guess i will have to work out a rotation.
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:25 PM UTC
Models can be done? No wonder I never have to worry about where to put them. Although, the few I have that are actually finished end up on the shelf for now. I'm looking into getting some sort of display case in the future.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:45 PM UTC
I've made a number of shelves around the house about 15 inches below the ceiling. I use pre made wooden brackets I get at Home Depot and use my router to put a nice edge on 1X10 pine. My concession to my wife's decorating sense is to let her give them a nice weathered paint job.

This works fine for tanks and ships, not that I've completed any tanks and ships completely yet. I have NO idea what I'm going to do with any aircraft I make.
Bravo21
Visit this Community
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:48 PM UTC
I built a display case a couple of years ago, big enough to hold my few remaining display pieces and allow me ample room to add more. It's 6' tall, 3' wide, 15" deep with halogen lighting. The bottom 10" is a storage area for "retired" models and new kit overflow storage. The main wooden structure was fairly inexpensive to build. What nailed me were the glass shelves and doors. I think my total investment was about $110.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:58 PM UTC
:-) At the moment my models are displayed on shelves in my modeling room. I am in the process of building disply cabinets, with mirror backs, glass shelves and doors. They are built in either side of the chimney brest in the dinning room, 1.8m x 1.5m x 0.4m. :-)
Mal
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
I really only have two of my models in an old family china cabinet on display. The rest I have usually built for others and given them away to a person that has a personal interest in them.(i.e. an A-4 to the CO of my last duty station, or a Cobra pilot got a cobra) So you can somewhat say that they are displayed everywhere. Until recently I have been building for myself and keeping them. I have a display caes in the works though that is going to be needed to be filled up :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:47 AM UTC
I just display them anywhere I like. If it's really a masterpiece, then I put in in the living room. Most of them are in my room in a display cabinet
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
I have a few places - the older ones are in my workshop (garage) on a dedicated book shelf. Others are inside on desks, mantels, shelves, etc. The gear up AC I have are all hanging in the workshop.
All provide interesting challenges for care and cleaning!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
With the support of a wonderful wife, I have the privilage of having some of mine on the entertainment center and on some bookshelves in the living room.
Of course these days there seems to be more on the workbench displaying their unfinished assemblies.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
Well, after my Mom got sick of having them strategically placed on pretty much every open surface in my room, she got me 3 5 ft long shelves, which I am curently working on filling up.
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 449 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
I haven't built enough to start worrying yet... but soon... soon...
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
I only have three model airplanes and they are hangin above the window seat where i build models. I've built 1/35th WWII people and them they got tossed into a top of a shoe box.
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
Aircraft get hung up in the kids' bedrooms. I have armor on the entertainment center and a couple in my wife's china hutch. We are currently haveing some book cases made and the wife says I get the top of them. But most are partially completed, sitting in thier boxes or on the workbench.

Mark
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
In home made display cases roughly 4'x4'x12" with lighting.

Like Bravo21, the wood framing was the inexpensive part, but whatever the cost (x2), it has been well worth it. Even the older models still look good... some of them being at least 20 years old. Both cases are chuck-full.

If anyone needs an idea, go to "The Author" page from the banner below.
Nailz
Visit this Community
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:42 AM UTC
My wife found an old gun rack with windowed doors at a Goodwill.

I just pulled out the racks and painted it and it's great for display and keeping the dust off. Any airplanes I have, immediately get hung on the ceiling, just have to be sure they aren't too low.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:42 AM UTC
Just bought a Billy bookcase from IKEA. About 6Ž tall and 2Ž wide with glass doors. The wife "allows" me to keep in the living room, do IŽll be able to show people when they come in. I think if I had to put them in a box when i finish and store them, I would give up the hobby now. I love looking at them!
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
The few that I have are kept on a couple of shelves on a bookcase. I do take some to keep in my office at work.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
I just put them in there this weekend... I plan on making little plackards for them, too, so people know what they are. We have a lot of Coast Guard types here... so they just see them as cargo... or something.
 _GOTOTOP