_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Why Modeling?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
I think this would be personal but I want to know why are you all in the hobby? It's quite expensive especially the materials to be used like paints. I like it because I want a hobby that would make me satisfy after I see the "whole picture". I wanna know something about you guys.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
I'm into it because I have te urge to be creative.... Don't fancy paintings, so modeling is a good alternative I guess....

Next to that it gives me a good reason to be here on armorama
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 01:16 AM UTC
I think everyone has a bit of artistic spirit within and I guess we all want to bring this out, to express ourselves, through this, striving to make more and more detailed finished products. As for myself, I feel relaxed when I'm building, it takes my mind off of the daily problems and of course because I like to feel a part of the past and history in my own hands, even at this small scale. Wish you fun and happy modelling.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
I like the satisfaction of a complete project - idea, design, construction, implementation, completion.
I choose modeling because it allows me to be creative and 'artsy' in every one of those areas.
I like the history of modeling, I choose military because cars don't give me a good sence of history.
I like armor cuz of testosterone!!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:01 AM UTC
Well it was either this or drugs and drugs were way more expensive :-)....No seriously I like for many things. The satisfaction of building a kit and making it as historically accurate as possible is probably at the top of my list. I love to build dioramas for the same reason I like to take pictures; to permanently capture a moment in time.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
I like it for the simple reason that it is just plain fun. You get to see what you started with (a box of little pieces) and what you end up with (hopefully, a super cool looking model). You also get to express your artistic sides through these models in painting different camo schemes, figures, and stowage, or, if you really want to step it up, through the construction of a diorama. I too enjoy researching the history behind the subjects I build. I also love to see the changes and improvements I've made between models. I look at my first model and the last model I completed and the difference is like night and day. I started with tube glue (which was a mess and a half) and painting the kit by hand, now I'm airbrushing and using glues in bottles (which is easier to control).
N8SPI
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
I haven’t been modeling since I was 15-years old, I’m 42 now. My 12-year old has sucked me back into it. We enjoy building armor models together.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
I enjoy the hobby because I am able to combine a few of my interests in one place. I've always been a bit artistic in a "nice way to kill some time" sort of way, I like working with my hands, and I love history and researching stuff (I have a BA in History from Washington State). Building models, especially those dealing with historical subjects, allows me to put all of those elements to use in each project I undertake. Besides, it gives me plenty of good excuses to walk out of bookstores with armloads of new reading material.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
I took up modeling last year because I have always wanted to do creative work but I cannot paint or do other artwork. so a Model is a 3 D canvas I can work with well.......
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
Because I like to create something new everytime I build a model. I'm quite a bit in scratchbuilding and that's very creative on on side and challenging on the other. I'm not 100% with you when you say that's very expensive. You can buy a model for 10 bucks and adding lots of items you can scratchbuild at almost zero cost and get big satrisfaction completing it. And much much more...
I was forgetting to welcome you on board...

Ciao
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:55 AM UTC
I build models because it makes you such a chick magnet. I can’t tell you guys how many times I have been sitting in a bar, leafing through the latest copy of FSM and some hot dame will walk up and ask “Whatcha reading?” Fine Scale Modeler, I’ll tell em. Then it’s all over. I have to try to convince them I’m happily married but there are plenty of other modelers out there. Sometimes it is just sad. I have started carrying around a copy of Car and Driver so the chicks will leave me alone….

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
I went into the hobby because I had an extra room and needed to fill it with stuff. And I had entirely too much money left over each payday. Now both problems are solved. #:-)
Really, it relaxes me (most of the time) and it is so interesting to be able to build your own minature world.
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 12:50 PM UTC
Well, for one thing, I would not call it an expensive hobby. Sure, when you start off it is up front but if you take care of your stuff, it will last you a while. Compared to Golf or other hobbies, it is not bad.

I started off because A. I am very artistic and this is a great way to express myself. I grew up drawing all the time and have always loved crafts. B. When I lived in Michigan, the winters can be very long and cold and full of snow. I needed something to pass the time during the day because I worked nights. It grew from there.
RedDevil
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:41 PM UTC
My wife got me in to modelling. I bet she is regretting it now :-)
Seriously though the real reason is when I was 23 three , I am now 29, I had a major accident at work and ruined my back, before this my life was dedicated 100% to bodybuilding. Now I am unable to work or do much of anything, and the Doc said it is only gonna get worse in the future. The pain is so bad I take morphine everyday. That is the short story not here to bore you guys .
Really I have to say this hobby saved my life ,literally I was getting near the end not able to do anything I used to be able to do etc, but now when I am building researching I have something that takes me away from the everyday things and makes me happy again. I cant say enough about it and the people on sites such as this really make life worth living . I must thank this hobby and All my fellow modellers out there for helping me out

Thanks
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
:-) I started building models while serving in Germany with the British Army. I was an instructor and one of my subjects was Recognition, I built models because I couldn't get a real life T62 or M60, even getting hold of a Chieften wasn't easy, and if I could I wasn't allowed to keep it! I liked building them but prefered the aircraft and turned to building 1/72 scale modern stuff. The more I got into the hobby though the more I realised that my real passion was for the planes of WW II. I tried a couple of 1/72 models but they are to small so I turned to 1/48 and haven't looked back. There is actually quite alot more to my story but I wouldn't want to bore you. :-)
I also don't think that this hobby is expensive, sure if you priced up the kits I have then there's some dosh tied up, but they will all get built
Mal
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
The short of it: Lots-o-fun! From purchasing to researching to building to painting to displaying.
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:59 AM UTC
as some are collecting artefacts and others are cooking or anything else as a hobby to spend their free time or just because they like this, i am modelling and i think i am doing it because it is a nice way to spend my time and a way to relax.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 05:01 AM UTC
I am fourteen. My friends make fun of me for building them. But it brings me closer to machines I love and can't see in real life. It gives you a 3-D look at history instead of a flat picture.
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
I enjoy modeling because it's fun and relaxing (except for the small mishaps such as lost or broken parts #:-)). Even though I have no artistic talent at all I like the process of building and the feeling of completing each kit. What makes it extra special is the look on my boys' face and the comments they make, especially if it is a kit they picked put .

Mark
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi, Ive been modelling off and on since I was a kid,I stopped for many years then in 2000 on Ive knocked up seven heart attacks lost my career and spent a year out of work,Like you reddevil I turned back to my old hobby with a vengance and i love it.Even though I am on limited earnings I still find I can afford most kits (well except the Famo)I scratch build a lot of extras my wife thinks Im stange because I pick up the wire Telephone engineers leave around ice lolly sticks you name it I try to make use of it. well all the best.
 _GOTOTOP