_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Brick colour
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hey everyone,

Im looking for a decent red for bricks.. For the life of me, I cant find brick red acrylic paint.. Looked in every craft store, hobby shop, Wal mart and Micheals in my area.... So, anyone have a mix to get a decent colour, or something that looks fairly close?? Thanks

Dave
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC
i've used model master rust and it looks pretty good,happy modeling!
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
Bear in mind that bricks are generally slightly different shades of red. Grab a shade that is close and mix up several different shades.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
I use a mix of red and burnt umber acrylics, the cheap ones from local art stores. I do a base coat of the mixed colour and when dry mix in more burnt umber and pick out individual bricks scattered throughout sometimes adding more red so that it breaks up the base colour.
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC
Modern bricks are made in different shades but will be consistant in that color. Older bricks would vary in shade even within lots so a wall of an older building would actually have some bricks the same and others quite different.Of course(not a brick joke) in more expensive buildings the builders would pay extra for consistency.The more utilitarian a building,like a factory or warehouse the more variety you can expect in a wall,from deep reds to orange to almost yellow.If you really look at an old wall you'll see all or some of these colors.I know this wasn't the question you asked directly but the fact is you can paint old walls a myriad of colors and then tie them together with weathered washes.Sorry to go on so but it's a favorite topic for me.Caheeracha! JOCK.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
Mojo

Humbrol produces an Enamel called brickred. this is a "brick" red color. #:-) problem is that it`s too orange (for me) what I usually do when painting brick is: I paint a groundlayer of an off white color. Khaki drill willwork too. then I start drybrushing the whole thing in Brick-red. as this is too orange (for me)(explained that above) I also drybruch it with a darker shade ofsome bricklike paint (looks more like rust). and as Jock already wrote bricks comesin a variety of colors. So after the last layer is dried you paint separately bricks in another tone so in your wall you paint some bricks in the brickred color (the one that is too orange) (for me) some you paint with Khaki drill, some you paint in a light shade of brown, a couple in a dark tone brown you can even paint a coupel black as they are backed normally. And Voila you have painted a nice wall or some rubble
here is an article that I wrote about a dio that I made for the Winter dio contest there is a section in it about painting the ruin and the groundworks.
Distraction Step by Step

Hope it is of some help

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:06 PM UTC
As basecoat I use Lifecolor LC32 (Matt rust 1) and UA 088 (Italian MimeticBrown 2), then wash and drybrush different parts with differemt shades...
Ciao
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:11 PM UTC
I have to agree with Jock. When I did my brick walls I'ld go through and paint some black, some white then this really exceptonal color called Brown Rose (of course the black and white undertones modify the color) then a rust color and the brick red color on others. makes for a good looking brick wall
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 01:39 AM UTC
I'd just say - don't confine your self to the colors on the shelf. They are great and recommended for AFV and uniform colors and 'known' colors. For natural colors, go for it. Take a look at your house, then at the neighbors and I bet you see two sets of color.
I'm a big fan of mixing colors when diorama stuff is invovled.
Francesco65
Visit this Community
Italy
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
Ciao I use Humbrol color: with airbrush base coat Humbrol 70, for different color i use a mix of a Hu 100+Hu 94 or 70+94 for individual bricks.
Best regards from Italia
Ciao Francesco
www.amv-lilliput.org
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the input guys. Will start the walls sometime today. Wish me luck

Dave
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:39 AM UTC
Try mixing small amounts of brown with red. Make red as the base color then add 1-2 drops and mix it until it becomes one. Add more until you find the desired color
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
Dave:

Go back to Walmart and check out Apple Barrel paints: Brown Oxide and Barn Red. I use these straight from the bottle and mix them together to give me a few different tones. Then I pain the individual bricks. BTW, if you want to lighten the red, use a light gray or yellow -- if you use white, it will turn pink.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
Gotta love wal-mart :-)

Thanks again guys
 _GOTOTOP