TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Battleground
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
I think Battleground is one of the best war movies ever. I really like the fact the movie concentrates on the common foot soldier. Granted these guys are Airborne and somewhat elite.

I have a question regarding a vehicle in the movie. In a couple of scenes there is an AFV of some type. At one point a tanker says something to the effect of "I've only got 10 rounds left for old Betsy here", while patting the main gun. Does anybody know what type of AFV it was? It looks to me like it might have been a tank destroyer but I can't identify it.

Thanks.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 04:02 PM UTC
I'd have to dig the video out to confirm, but if my rusty memory serves me, "old Betsy" is an M18 Hellcat tank destroyer.

I agree that Battleground is a classic WW2 flick -- definitely in my top 10. I always wanted to include a character like Holly with helmet full of "liberated" eggs in a diorama.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 04:03 PM UTC
I need to see this do you think block buster has it?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
Airwarrior, Blockbuster sells it online but I doubt any local stores carry it to rent. It's show fairly regularly on TCM, my wife and younger daughter even watched it with me the last time it was on.

Hollowpoint, I like the idea of modeling Holly. I was thinking a figure based on James Whitmore's character would be interesting. Imagine a figure in a greatcoat, hunched shoulders, rags wrapped around his frost bitten feet, and a weeks stubble on his face. THAT is something I'd love to see one of the better figure sculptures to make.

Thanks for the tip about the Hellcat. I was thinking about some kind of dio of a Hellcat with several fox holes in front with tree limbs covering them rifleman pokeing their weapons out from underneath.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:10 PM UTC
This is definitely one of the early classic war films. Lacks all the excitement of Pvt Ryan, and Band of Brothers, but for realism....well this has got to be it. It truely shows the infantryman in his element and the tedium and uncertainty of day to day living on the front lines.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 12:32 AM UTC
When you consider that this movie was made in 1949, it becomes apparent why the realism was there. The screenwriter apparently was in the 101st in Bastogne, and several of the actors were war vets.

This movie is also loaded with classic lines: "That's fer sure, that's fer danged sure..."