Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Where are YOU from?
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
I live 30 miles wast of Grand Forks, ND. Grand Forks made national news in 1997 whenthe city was flooded and part of it burned (that's why it's good to live 30 miles west )
I'm also 100 miles N/W of Fargo ND of movie fame. And NO! no one I've ever met has the accent from the movie.
I lived in central PA for the first 18 yrs of my life. My military career took me to Maine, Ca, Texas, Guam, Korea among other places.
One of the best things about our hobby is meeting folks from all over the world here at Armorama. :-)
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 02:26 AM UTC
Texas, Dallas Texas, That is, Though I was born in a little town named San-Angelo Texas, Stationed in Grand-Forks N.D. 1980-84. Nice place. So I currently reside in Irving Tx. Home of the infamous Dallas Cowgirl's,, (He-He-He) Enjoy this site And the cool folk's that hang out here.

Dagger : A weapon with a short pointed blade: i.e. "THE CUTTING EDGE"

Dagger
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 02:42 AM UTC
Geez, another Ron using the same avatar as I am...this could get confusing.

Richmond, Virginia here, capital of the Confederacy. Originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Moved here in 1977. As you can tell from my sig. line, I am a member of Central Virginina AMPS, Richmond chapter of IPMS, and an IPMS National member. I have a very understanding wife who allows me to disappear to my cave upstairs to hang around this site and sometimes actually build a model. Plus, she doesn't complain too loudly about the various chemical smell that end up downstairs.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
:-) Penny is there a guy called Kilgore trout who lives near you? Anyways, I'm from Massachussets(try and spell that 3 times fast!) grew up in New York (upstate), travelled all over after my Military bit. Lived in Israel, India, Sweden, Egypt, a little bit everywhere. Ended up in Belgium Got married, had 2 kids. Tthey loaded up their truck and moved to ....the grand Duché of Luxembourg. We are now probably going to move back to Belgium. We are overtaxed and underpain, but hey we're havin fun so who counts.

Jack
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 06:25 AM UTC
Bloomington, Illinois (the 's' is silent - lots of people forget that). Before that, from Springfield, IL. Before that, St. Paul Minnesota. One of these years I'm going to Colorado (I hope) I've had enough of flat plains :-)

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
By the way; do any of you in Illinois know of some modeling clubs? I've been searching unsuccessfully for a week. (including the WWW)

YodaMan
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 07:31 AM UTC
No way, Yodaman, I live in Bloomington, IL myself.
Small world.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way; do any of you in Illinois know of some modeling clubs? I've been searching unsuccessfully for a week. (including the WWW)

YodaMan

Have ya tried here Yoda? These guys are in Rockford.

http://www.geocities.com/rwis2000/
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee, Kenc. I think I'm going to request to Jim that your rank be changed to 'Colonel Kencelot: Linkmaster'!

YodaMan
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Virginia Beach, Virginia here. We may be outnumbered right now but wait till the sun comes up here in the states!

Judging by the post's time stamps, you guys on the other side the great big pond have been awake for some time now.

Southern Florida, USA

Howdy all!

Boy, after reading the posts I'm somewhat surprised at the response. Interesting. The Netherland's (not Holland) area of the world seems to be making an impressive showing, as do the 'Canuk's' (meant with all respect, you did participate in D-Day after all ).
Tin's original challenge to the European members of our fraternity is sorely being tested! I would like to add my small amount of weight to the U.S. side of this thing buttttttt, I'm not sure it would wash.

I was originally born in a little town that Charles Dicken's refered to as "the dirty little town of Preston". He gave it that moniker based upon it's thriving coal mining industry back around the turn of the century. It is tucked up in the northwestern corner of England, close to the border of Scotland, in the county of Lancashire. (close to where the Beatle's were from, (Liverpool). My mother met my 'Da' while he was a member of the Royal Scot's Guard's ( a 'Piper'). He left the Guard's at an early age to go to America and join the U.S. Army Air Force, where he served in the 8th Air Force / 14th Fighter Group, flying P-38's over Europe in '42-'43, where he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, and others that I cannot remember unfortunately (I was very small at the only time he shared any of this information with me). He later served in the Korean theatre also, in what the U.S. called a 'police action'. (around the time I was born). So, during my very early years I traveled Europe extensively (won't bore you with the list), suffice it to say it covers almost all of western Europe. Came to the U.S. in late '64 (coincidentlally the same time as the arrival of the Beatles to the US ) and entered this country in the town of Kearny, N.J. (a big Scottish town. If none of you are aware, the northeastern U.S. had small hamlets or towns that were 'friendly' to a particular nationality, and would have a kind of support network in place that would be quite condusive to foriegn newcomers ). After a couple of short moves in the area we settled in the armpit of the United States, Newark, N.J. I attended and finished H.S. there, and entered the U.S.M.C. at an early age, where I was trained to "funnel my fury" and sent to a place where I was supposed to win the 'hearts and mind's' of the yellow race,and then come home to kiss my sweetheart in the middle of the square to the tune of John Phillip Soza or something.....no dice. Anyway, after that world-wide tour de force I couldn't stand the thought of wearing out my Hush-Puppies on the greasy streets of Jersey and began my 'odyssey' of the continental U.S. During that time I visited 46 of the 50 states. (missed a few). After experiencing most of the big island I decided to plant my flag in the beautiful mountains of Colourful Clorado....been here since.

Tread.

My apologies for the 'ramble' of the above text, but, I'm practicing for writing a winning essay or reveiw so I can win one of those Contest prizes!!!!! :-) :-)
Your indulgence has been appreciated.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm from Montreal, living near Dallas, soon to be moving up to Rochester NY.

There are lots of folks from all over here!

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gee, Kenc. I think I'm going to request to Jim that your rank be changed to 'Colonel Kencelot: Linkmaster'!

YodaMan

Nooooo, Yoda. It's 'Link Meister!' And I agree with you!

Tread.....hehe
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the armpit of the United States, Newark, N.J.

Hey...that's not too far away from my original home of Morristown, NJ.
I must agree with you Tread...Newark's not a pretty town.

BTW, here's another for you Yoda: Military Miniature Society of Illinois.

http://members.aol.com/MMSI2K/newmmsipages/mmsimain.htm
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
I was born and raised in southern Sweden, now Iive in Mid Western USA, in Missouri going to college to become a professional hick

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
Tread,
I knew you must have had some "European Flavoring" from the way you spell "armour"!

Sounds like you have had a life of interesting travels. Although I have passed through about 40 of the 50 states I can certainly say that some of them were just roads on the way to somewhere else. Of course there are a few that don't feature much in the way of scenic beauty. Never did quite understand why New Jersey was "The Garden State". hehe

Cheers,
Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the armpit of the United States, Newark, N.J.

Hey...that's not too far away from my original home of Morristown, NJ.
I must agree with you Tread...Newark's not a pretty town.

BTW, here's another for you Yoda: Military Miniature Society of Illinois.

http://members.aol.com/MMSI2K/newmmsipages/mmsimain.htm

Hmmmmm, Kenc'. If memory serves, I attended my Senior Prom at a place called (I believe) 'The Manor' in Morristown, N.J. It was an early version of an 'event center' back then....do you remember a place like that?

Tread.

P.S. If you're from that area, I dated a lot of girls from a place called Short Hills, just down (again, I believe) So. Orange Avenue...? Most of them were daughter's of Mob bosses that moved from Newark out to the 'burb's....kinda like they portray today on the show 'The Soprano's'.....I guess nothing ever really changes, just the date you write down
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:54 AM UTC
Jeez guys....sorry for the bold type face....didn't look like that when I typed it...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 12:28 PM UTC
Absolutely Tread, The Manor is a popular restaurant, bar, ehh emm, hotel, right off of Rt. 287.

Short Hills is another place I'm very familiar with...very Italian. Did a lot of tile work out there.
Small world...ehh?!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC
Well, I see there are at least two other Dallas boys here. I live just north of Dallas in Lewisvill, Texas. I'm origanally from San Antonio, Texas. Lived in Germany , Weisbaden and Permisens, for three years and Ft. Benning, Georgia for two years with the Army. Other than that, I'm a good ol' boy from Texas!!!!!!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 03:03 PM UTC
I living in Fresno CA. I grew up in eastern Washington in a town called Yakima. Some of you military folks may have been to the firing center there.

Quoted Text

My apologies for the 'ramble' of the above text, but, I'm practicing for writing a winning essay or reveiw so I can win one of those Contest prizes!!!!!

You know as well as I that Rob is going to win, the gods have spoken
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 1,526 Posts
KitMaker Network: 177 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 03:15 PM UTC
:-) Cool~! I see that some people are from Dallas, Texas. I live in Fort Worth! Woo hoo~ But I was born in South Korea and grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. Go Braves!

James
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC
I'm from San Jose, California. Grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, but call California my home.

Gunnie
SturmFuhrer
Visit this Community
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 11:16 PM UTC
Belive it or not I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina, i think most of u heared of it.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
I am from Ashtabula, Ohio, it's about 50 miles east of Cleveland. Also lived in Florida for 3 years, hope move back there in the next few years. I can't take the cold anymore, when I retire I hope to move to Italy and enjoy my retirement there.
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 327 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 11:30 PM UTC
Guess where I'm from?
Thats right, Sweden, not Switzerland for you yankees :-)
And we don't have polarbears on the streets of Stockholm either.

I live in a small town called Mullsjö about 160km NE of Gothenburg.
I was born and raised in the north of Sweden and I lived for 15 years outside Stockholm.
Now I settled down here with my girlfriend and our two boys.
I run my own hobbyshop and in june I'll start working as an instructor at the Engeneering regiment in Eksjö, about 100km from where I live.
Boy, is it gonna be fun shouting at those conscripts :-)
I try to build models when I get the time but somehow I don't manage to finish them.
Right now I'm working on a HKCW Strv122 conversion and I have an Accurate Armour Strv103C waiting after that one.

Signing of now.
http://go.to/the_swede/