TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite war movie scenes
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
My favorite war movie scenes are from Kelly'sHeroes When Oddball &his 3 Shermans come out of the tunnel ans destroy the railyard to the tune of All For The Love Of Sunshine by Hank Williams Jr
Also in The Big Red One when the squad is in the French Insane asylum helping the resistance leader,one of the inmates picks up an MP40 and starts firing He then says "I AM ONE OF YOU I AM SANE"
M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC
Boy tough topic. How about Susana (sp) York walking around in garter belt and nylons in Battle of Britian. (Just kidding ). I think either the final charge in Glory or Picket's charge in Gettysberg are my favorite. But each film I own does have it's best scene.
Eric
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC
How about George C. Scott shooting at a couple He-111's with his .45.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 11:10 AM UTC
Or in Das Boot, where they finally get back to their base, survived all those battles and are "safe" at home. Then to get strafed and bombed, most of them getting killed.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 02:22 AM UTC
Yep. That was a tough one for me too. You guy's hit on TWO of my all time fav's "BUT" How about Pearl Harbor when They come roaring out of the smoke and devatation dead on the tails of a pair of Jap Zero's. And just the whole fight scene in general. WOW Great movie!! OR The Bridge at Raemaggon (Ending Scence) Ben-Gazara comes back from being dead or so his friend thought. (Sorry Can't remember the actor's name)

Dagger: A weapon with a short pointed blade: I.e. THE CUTTING EDGE!!

Dagger-1 :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC
There can be only one: Slim Pickens riding The Bomb in Kubrick´s Dr.Strangelove!

Runner-ups: Apocalypse Now, beach napalmed. Cross of Iron, the massacre of Steiner´s men by their own fire...Thin Red Line, the guy killing his first enemy.

Toni
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 03:03 AM UTC
In "Saving Private Ryan", after the platoon sets out to find him and stay in the church, when the Captain and the Sargent are remembering a guy walked on his hands, Caparzo I think the soldier's name was. I love the sense of comaraderie they feel there...

or the same movie when the P-51 get's the tank...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 06:47 AM UTC
First....I want to send a big Thank You to Generalzod for starting this thread! My only critique would be, you should of called it 'SHARING your favorite war movie scenes'. With any luck this will be a very long thread...

Anyway, I already love the input from you guys. I'll throw in some obvious ones to get started, and then add more later.

A few corny ones;

'Von Ryan's Express' The scene at the end when Frank Sinatra's running for the end of the train to be helped up by the men he's lead from the concentration camp all across Italy only to be cut down by MG fire and fall dead on the very tracks that have transported his men to freedom.

'Great Escape' The attempt by (my man) Steve McQueen to 'jump' the twin border fence by motorcycle (supposed to be a Zundapp) to freedom, falling short only because of the quikley advancing germans and sliding into the barbed wire fence, showing his military 'flash' to avoid being shot as a spy.

'Devil's Brigade' At the end of the movie, after they've all gone through unbelievable extremes of training as a unit, and endured the thoroughly demanding rigors of warfare. They are on top of the cliff that has taken so many of Cliff Robertson's men, when the german commander is brought before him for supposedly terms of surrender, the commander, when told that none of his 'bloody' terms will be honoured, produces a hidden luger and shoots Cliff Robertson.

I can think of many, many more, as I'm sure all of you can. I will look forward to viewing this particular thread in the future.

Tread.

P.S. Sorry, couldn't end without at least mentioning the ENTIRE film 'Zulu'....even tho this film was done awhile ago, and co-stars a very young Michael Caine, I feel it stands the test of time when it comes to portraying the 'essence' of bravery. Especially the scene towards the end (no, not the Zulu 'salute' scene), when they form into three ranks for sequential firing upon an advancing enemy, and the officers shout "Front rank, Fire!" "Second rank, Fire!" "Third rank, Fire!", and after the engagement is ended the dead and dying bodies of the Zulu warriors are literally at the feet of the front rank of rifleman.........love it!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
One of my favs was from the movie "Zulu". The scene towards the end which left an indelible mark in my memory's eye. It was the scene where the Brits where falling back in the "flying brigade" pattern. With Stanley Baker and Michael Caine yelling "Fire" as the the Zulu kept coming closer, the bodies piling up, and "Fire", "Fire".
Quite riveting for me as I was pretty young when I saw it. It was sort of akin to the landings in the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. In your face!
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 11:57 AM UTC
:-) BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO, All my Favorites, Zulu, Saving Private Ryan, etc,etc,etc, I know now that I am truely in the midst of REAL MEN, That truely have extremely GREAT TASTE in both Military History as well as The Greatest Movies to ever grace the silver screen. I Will always remember the final quote from the ending scene in Von Ryans Express: I Once told you RYAN, That if just one of us get's out, Then it's a victory !! How about Zepplin starring a very young Michael York & Elke Sommer, THE BLUE MAX George Peppard & Ursula Andress.And of corse one of the best THE DUELIST Keith Carridine & Harvey Keitel. A Bridge Too Far. and The Longest Day. Just some more to ring a few bells. and being out some memories. BTW all that has been listed here I have in my collection.
I also hope this will end up being a REALLLLLY LONG Thread.
Dagger: A weapon with a short pointed blade: THE CUTTING EDGE
Dagger-1
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of my favs was from the movie [b]"Zulu". The scene towards the end which left an indelible mark in my memory's eye. It was the scene where the Brits where falling back in the "flying brigade" pattern. With Stanley Baker and Michael Caine yelling "Fire" as the the Zulu kept coming closer, the bodies piling up, and "Fire", "Fire".
Quite riveting for me as I was pretty young when I saw it. It was sort of akin to the landings in the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. In your face![/b]

Great minds think alike Kenc'....see my post above....we refer to the same scene.

Tread.

Oh, BTW, they were actually (most of them) Welsh engineers. Plus some 'Brits'. And a couple of Boers, and a few 'calfers' , and .....about 5000 Zulu!

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 03:06 PM UTC
Let´s be patriotic for a while. I left the Finnish Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier, 1955, dir Edvin Laine) out because I thought no one has seen it anyway.
As it is, after all, my all-time favorite war movie, I warmly recommend it.

There is a scene in it where a Russian tank is just about to blast a group of men away in Karelian forests. One of the guys, Hietanen, approaches very close to the tank and throws a "kasapanos"(explosive charge made of some 5-8 kilos of explosives wired around a wooden handle), hitting an open hatch. The tank explodes. Other guys come to him, congratulating: "Damn what you did!"
Hietanen just shivers, smoking a cigarette."I don´t hear anything for a while."
Hietanen later loses his eyes and dies when the ambulance truck is shredded to pieces by airplane cannon fire.
Some death for the best of them all...

Toni
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 05:43 PM UTC
Here's a couple more from Kelly's Heroes The opening scene when Kelly and the German officer are in the jeep in German lines and the German m.p.is telling everybody to move When he gets past the jeep he stops,turns around and yells HALT!!! Kelly guns the jeep and runs him over Also this is kind of sick When they're in the mine field and Crapgame(Don Rickles) yells HEY HEY I FOUND ONE!! Big Joe Says WELL WHAT KIND IS IT? Crapgame goes THE KIND THAT BLOWS UP HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW WHAT KIND IT IS? I know mines are not funny at all but for some reason I find that scene amusing I need help
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 05:52 PM UTC
I like the opening minutes to "A Bridge at Remagen"....movie starts right into the action, if you have not seen it , rent it....
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:40 PM UTC
:-) :-) Thanks Chappy. I have that one in my collection Too. I Agree it is a great movie. SCENE: Where the Lt. Tells the Sgt that they need to recon forward even though he (Sgt) knows it is a REALLY BAD idea. And the LT reminds him. They're the "CUTTING EDGE" The look on the Sgt's face that just tells you he does not agree with the idea but doees it any way. Which shortly afterwards get's him killed. Then later on, The new Sgt tells the Lt that he does'nt have any friend's. Because he can't adfford them

DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade: "THE CUTTING EDGE"
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC
Although it's technically not a war movie and I was a tanker...
When Sam Sheppard as Col Chuck Yeager took the F-104 through it's envelope in "The Right Stuff"
Also, the aerial fighting scenes in "The Battle of Britian", which incidentally had the best musical score in a war movie. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
I just love this thread! :-) It reminds me of all the good ones.

Another: In the film 'Platoon' (haven't seen it since it came out in the theatre's so my memory might be a little off on this one) towards the end when Willem Dafoe is trying to make out of enemy territory and almost makes it , only to be cut down by small arms fire (AK 47).
Same film: Again, later on in the film, when Charlie Sheen finally 'flips' and goes absolutely 'ape poo-poo' defending his position....nice stuff.

Funny one: In 'Apocylpse Now', the scene of the 'surfer' dude water skiing down the Mekong being towed by a 'Pibber' to the tune of 'I can't get no Satisfaction' by the 'Stones.....in fact I can't hear that song today without thinking of that scene

Sports one: Scene at the end of 'Dirty Dozen' when Jim Brown makes his gallant end zone run, dropping grenades down the breather stacks along the way, again to be cut down by MP40 fire. Question here?? Haven't seen that film in some time, is the vehicle they escape in a 'Famo'??? If not, what?

Tread.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
Ok my turn........ Again from Kellys Hero's.... Oddball sitting in his chair "Eating some cheese, drinking some wine and catching some rays baby".... Gotta love this.... I tell my new kids coming in that we dont go to the field...we go camping.

I cant believe no-one has mentioned the opening scene from Glaiator.....THAT, was some serious shizzit!! "Tag! Your it" and also same movie, when Maximus goes 4 or 5 on 1 in the ring and finishes it up by lopping the last guys head off.... gory but great action.

Saving Private Ryan... Jackson the sniper in the tower giiving the Germans hell while quoting scripture.

Although not a war movie- The Great Waldo Pepper. the end when Redford and the Ex-WW1 German Ace are duking it out without any fire arms.... awesome flying and speaking of flying.... "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines"-----most oddball collection of aircraft I have ever seen. I know there are more that I like, just can't think of them at the moment.. "Q"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
Wow......Jim, you sneaky bugger. You've got a hidden program that reinserts alternate words for 'blue' ones dont you??

You've thought of everything haven't you....

Tread.

Course, if you knew what 'bugger' really means...hehe.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great minds think alike Kenc'....see my post above....we refer to the same scene.

Tread.

Oh, BTW, they were actually (most of them) Welsh engineers. Plus some 'Brits'. And a couple of Boers, and a few 'calfers' , and .....about 5000 Zulu!

Geeze, sorry Tread...don't know how I missed you typing that... DOH !

Oh, oh, I got one...the scene in Top Gun, the one where the credits are shown...
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
Gee. The war scene I think is pretty cool is the beach storming in Saving Private Ryan. That's about the only war movie I've seen. (well, about wars that have taken place in this galaxy and have not happened a long time ago....) I think someone needs to start a thread 'You're home for a long boring weekend, and need a bunch of war movies to rent'

YodaMan
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
I also thought the opening scenes in Saving Private Ryan, were some of the most dramatic scenes ever on film. I also like the scene in Tora,tora,tora when the student pilot finds himself in the middle of the Japanese attack.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
Waterloo made in seventies,Rod Steiger played Napoleon When the Scots Greys charge
forward,the Highland 93rd go with them hanging on to their stirrups,the whole thing goes into slow motion,classical music plays like its a dream,and when you see the French Lancers on the horizen,you know they are in the crap up to their necks
Charge on
Arrthur
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
I like when the P-51 strifes the tank on the bridge in SPR.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
Penny, I like that scene too. Just wished they'd used a P-47 instead, now those pilots knew how to dig up the dirt.