TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Enemy at the Gates
SFraser
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hi guys I've just got Enemy at the Gates out on DVD, it looks a great movie. What are your thoughts on it.
Scott
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
Scott,

I thought it was a good movie. It shows you some of the attitude that the Russians show towards their own soldiers. I have the movie myself and have watched it many times.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
One of the best war movies I've seen, with one of the worst, most Hollywood, endings of all time.
died
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 76 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC
I also have seen the movie, just like the others i liked it, oke the movie have been stirred up a bit but still, vassili saijtzev ( or something like that ) really existed.
'
died
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
Liked it then bought my own DVD copy as well.
agree with spooky6 regarding the ending.
As far as historical accuracy, I heard that neither found each other, then died of old age after the war. Anyone know??

sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 09:10 AM UTC
Something like this really did happen in Stalingrad, and if I remember right, the Russian sniper won. There is a superb account of it in the Time Life book on WWII. It is black with a large red "WWII" on the cover and a B/W photo.

BTW I have never seen the movie.
SFraser
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Something like this really did happen in Stalingrad, and if I remember right, the Russian sniper won. There is a superb account of it in the Time Life book on WWII. It is black with a large red "WWII" on the cover and a B/W photo.

BTW I have never seen the movie.

Yes thats right and the German expert sent to get him was an SS Colonel and not a Wermacht Major.
Scott
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:30 AM UTC
Dear Scott,
It was a very well done interesting movie I thought. It showed the intensity of urban fighting in Stalingrad. It is well worth watching!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 07:34 PM UTC
The movie's based on the book "War of the Rats" by (I think) David L Robbins, which is a fictionalised account of an actual sniper duel between Zaitsev (a Hero of the Soviet Union) who survived the war, and SS Standartenfuhrer Koenig, who was the head of the SS sniper school at Zossen, close to Berlin. In the book (and in reality) Zaitsev fools Koenig into taking a shot at a dummy position, revealing his own hide, whereupon Zaitsev kills him with a single shot. The movie completely ruins this ending by having the German sniper face-to-face with Zaitsev for the kill, which is sort of like a gunfight at high noon

Interestingly, Koenig's character is aalso used by Stephen Hunter in his novel "Master Sniper", in which an SS sniper is tasked with a mission to Switzerland in the weeks after WW2. He uses a modified StG44 with aan experimental nightsight. Really good book worth having if you're a sniper buff.

Wierdly, there's a superb sniper novel called "White Star" by James Thayer in which a US Marine sniper nicknamed White Star (modelled on Carlos Hathcock) returns from Vietnam, and twenty years later finds himself hunted by a Russian sniper who he exchanged rounds with in Vietnam. Interestingly, in the novel (fiction, obviously) the Russian's father is modelled on Zaitsev, and the book culminates in this fantastic sniper duel in the Blue Ridge Mountains. A must for every follower of this form of warfare.

So there are quite a few spin offs from that famous duel.

airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:46 AM UTC
I have the book "Enemy at the gates" my dad bought in the early seventies.The sniper duel in the book occupies all of one chapter.What I find amazing about the film is the actor who who plays the young boy spy looks amazingly like the real persons photo in the book.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 01:59 PM UTC
The book is actually called - "Enemy at the gates" , cool, man.
spooky6, speaking about "War of the Rats", check this link out
I gee oh oh gee el ee 'd zaitsev and konig and got this

http://www.snipersparadise.com/history/vasili.htm

interesting story but they even say it is but one story of many

spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC
Dennis, while William Craig's Enemy at the Gates: the Battle for Stalingrad mentions the duel between Zaitsev & Koenig, the movie was based on Robbins' War of the Rats, and is quite faithful to the book (except for the ending). Remember the novel's a fictionalised account, and the female Russian sniper Zaitsev is romantically involved with never existed.

KoSprueOne, thanks for the link. Yeah, I guess one of the most legendary duels of the war is bound to have different versions! Interestingly, Robbins gave the German sniper the name Thorwald (I think) not Koenig.

novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys I've just got Enemy at the Gates out on DVD, it looks a great movie. What are your thoughts on it.
Scott

Good movie, watch it often, but if you want a better one, watch "Stalingrad". It has nothing to do with Zaitsev, but it is a great flick nonetheless. You can get it via netflix.