_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Does anyone else just build OOB (out of box)?
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC
I need some help regarding just building OOB (out of box) with no additional enhancements such as resin, PE or other custom things.
It seems the trend at my local shops is everyone is focused on doing everything they can to add to the kits they have purchased rather than just building painting and enjoying. I must admit I have actually stopped building for the last at least 9 months because I don't want to get into this type of modeling.
Don't get me wrong, I have alot of respect for modelers that can build this way and do amire the finished job, but it just isn't for me.
Am I the only one that feels this way or am I missing something?
Thanks for any input.

Ron

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:00 AM UTC
same here some things are just better OOB.

Then some folks are extreme rivet counters

But then again somethings are better in PE and other goodies like Tow cables and such.

Enjoy what ever you want as it is supposed to be fun.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:04 AM UTC
You are not alone. Like you, I enjoy seeing a "spruced up" model, and admire the skill that went into it, but for me, I'm just an OOB modeler. I certainly try to add to the final product by weathering, washes, etc., but if it didn't come with the kit, you won't find it on my model.

I don't think there is anything wrong with us, nor with the After-Market crowd. I guess it's just what you are trying to get out of the hobby. Both methods bring enjoyment and satisfaction, I'm sure.

Mike

Removed by original poster on 05/15/07 - 09:04:58 (GMT).
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:22 PM UTC
Hi Ron,
Almost 90% of my models are OOB.
I like to build diferent things depending what mood I'm in.I have a few models in my collection still to build and most will be OOB. (Aircraft 1/35 & 1/72 - Armour 1/35 & 1/72 - Star Trek & other Sci-Fi & Figures 1/32)
Having said that 4 weeks ago I started a scratch build and then decided I would build an airplane

(Hurcules 1/200th) for the Scottish Nationals and at the moment I,m doing a battleship (Graf Spee 1/700th).
(The 3 tanks in the picture at the back of the Hurcules are also mine again OOB.)
With just getting back to modeling after a break (being made unemployed and a 21 month old son) most of my models are also painted by hand with what paint I have avaliable.

So Ron at the end of the day you are not alone .
Steve C

( Mind you with BARV being my dad I've along way to go to be as good as him )
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:49 PM UTC
I also build OOB. I take it out of the box, check the quality, do the necessary enhancements and then I'm finished.
I'm lazy on the painting though, almost always the simplest scheme
and then always in "mint condition".

I don't go for all the resin and PE enhancements, I only replace those details that are too ugly. Handles molded solid get replaced with bent copper wire (easy and cheap). Grilles/Nets over intakes/outlets get replaced if they look too bad. Tow cables, sometimes it's easier to make a new one from copper wire instead of trying to get brittle plastic into position.
There are usually many small enhancements which only cost a little
elbow grease and which will improve the model quite a bit.
Minor inaccuracies can often be ignored as they won't be seen or noticed by anyone except rivet counters while a clumsy plastic detail will stand out like a sore thumb and be noticed by "everyone".

OOB-WMD (OOB - With Minor Detailing)
;-)
/ Robin
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:56 PM UTC
I too build OOB and find it very enjoyable. I also build mostly OOB plus.. what I call building the model out of the box and adding bits such as gear weapons and ammo, out of another box...

I think the fun in building a model is not is it 100% accurate, but did you build and paint it to the best of your abilities... if so then you have created a masterpeice for yourself to enjoy.....

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
I think the most important thing is building for the relaxation and enjoyment of the hobby. Where each modeler finds it is up to them to decide, not others to dictate.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 05:56 PM UTC
I always do right out of box, Money being the main driver, the second is most of my models are seen by non-modelers and non-armor/aircraft enthusists, who would not notice the fine details
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:03 PM UTC
For me it depends on each build. If I am inspired and want to 'go crazy' I will scratch build it or super detail it.

I do fill in with a fair number of OOTB's to 'fill in time'. It makes me feel productive and to just have fun.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC
I build almost exclusively OOB. The only exception is when their is a zimmerit pattern that I cant get to look right. Then I will get a resin kit.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hey all,

I would be at the other end of the discussion. I love all the options that we have these days for detailing. I like the PE and resin parts. When I was younger I built out of box but since I took the hobby back up I started detailing and really enjoy it. For me the fun is in the research and the building trying to get the project to a good balance of being a fun build with out getting to worried about the minor details.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
I too am so far an exclusively OOB builder, not counting some minor details like gear and weapons stolen from another box. And probably my main reasons are I am happy with what I build OOB, which is the most important part of the hobby - being happy, and the other reason being my very empty wallet.

I am however saving for my first build that wont be straight OOB. I plan to buy a Revell Leopard 1A5, and the Leopard C2 conversion from Maple Leaf Models.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
I jump back and forth between adding and staying OOB. I don't feel pressured to do either and just kinda go with what feels best. In most cases, I do OOB and maybe add some aftermarket decals or dry transfers, purely out of preference. For example, Tamiya decals just seem thick to me and I like to use dry transfers if possible.

Every now and again, a subject grabs me and I want to detail it up, but rest assured while I'm mired in the details, an OOB build is going on right beside it to keep me happy.

- Frank
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC
Just OOB, no. Mostly OOB, yes. I build for me and the occasional 3rd place at an IPMS regional. I don't stress over the PE or the turned alum. barrels because my friends and family tell me the models "all look the same."
I am in it for the fun...

Shaun
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:17 AM UTC
Most of my finished models were built OOB, or pretty close to OOB (my own tow cables and grab handles etc. with minimal aftermarket).

There was a time when I'd buy up all sorts of PE and resin for a kit. I'd end up spending 3-5 times the cost of the kit on aftermarket sets only to end up with an unfinished model.

Now, depending on the kit, I try to limit the aftemarket stuff to indi links, metal barrels, and PE grills etc. The newer Dragon and AFV Club kits have all that in the box already, one stop shopping.

In the long run, building closer to OOB saves me money and more importantly, allows me to finish something.
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:21 PM UTC
I go along with everything that´s been said here already. I have found that there have been a few parts leftover on the photo-etch fret because some times the moulded parts are good enough & it would be too much time & trouble to remove & replace than it´s worth for the end result. It all depends on how far one wants to go on a project but finally I would like to add that improvisation on a very low budget is possible to get some good results & that extra bit of detail, e.g. bits of wire, plastic , card , putty, twigs & bits of wood . Look around the site & even ask for help with ideas because there are some really cheap & effective techniques tried´n tested.
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
hey,
main thing is just kicking back,relaxing,working on the model,with the TV on ,listening in the background,have no problem building something OOB.We've done the full P/E,and resin conversions ,with very good results,even casting our own resin parts,and if the funds aren't their,so what,at times we've questioned whether all of that extra work,ended up being worth it,the full P/E sets are so hard to work with,the resin conversions,to us are more welcomed,and noticeable when finished,but certainly not required,main thing is enjoying it,even if it means we're building our 10th.Opel Blitz.The only thing will go out of our way on is replacing heavy vinyl tracks.Italeri,early Tamiya with indy tracks,even the inexpensive tracks by Maquette,DML,Academy make a bid difference.

Joe
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey,
main thing is just kicking back,relaxing,working on the model,with the TV on ,listening in the background,have no problem building something OOB.

I agree with Joe here. I recently built a kit where I felt PE was necessary to make the model acceptable to me. I thoroughly enjoy building out of box and brush painting. I do not have the desire to paint with an airbrush but I am amazed at the skill of others here that do.

What ever floats you boat, just have fun and enjoy yourself!!!

Cheers,
Gary
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,453 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 01:53 AM UTC
I tend to build mainly OOB with very minimum add-ons (the odd copper wire grab handle, additional stowage, better decals).

This is not least because I don't always have the time I'd like to have to dedicate to modelling, so what time I do have I like to use to the max in order to improve my painting & weathering techniques, rather than get bogged down in lengthy research and fretting over whether every minor detail is a 100% faithful reproduction of the original. Because (to me at least) the paint job & overall finish is what makes a really big difference to a model, rather than whether a couple of tow shackles are too rounded, or the barrel is 2 mm too long in scale.

Because let's face it - probably more people (i.e. the non-modelling majority) will notice a second-rate paint job more than they'd notice some minor detail inaccuracy.

That said though, I have nothing but admiration for those guys who do have the skill and dedication to produce spectacularly super-detailed models of the tyoe that grace these forums. Some of their work takes my breath away and serves as a great source of inspiration.

In the end, as others have said, the main thing is to build for yourself in the first instance and just have fun.
zeus60
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
With the exception of decals, I build straight OOB. I'm an aircraft builder. I returned to the hobby a little over a year ago. There are so many different subjects I'd like to build that I'd rather do two subjects OOB than one super-detailed subject.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 08:21 PM UTC
Sorry, but I just can't build OOB. I have tried, but I always find something, some little thing, that I just have to correct. I tried to build the M47 OOB, but I had to add the cast texture and then some casting numbers to the turret. It's a sickness, I tell you, a sickness! :-)

Normally I am a pure bred rivet counter. If I can see it and it's not like the real thing, I fix it. Whether I am using a detail set or scratchbuilding the fixes makes no matter. I feel best about my models if they are as accurate as I can possibly make them. That's the part of modelling I get my enjoyment out.

Of course this also results in my "buy to build" ratio being something like 20 to one and having a basement full of kits that I will die having still in boxes...

Paul
pottz88
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 233 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Not alone....

i have tried PE but at my level, i'm an ootb lad from now on. Make some improvements yourself by scratchbuilding.
Satisfaction comes from you , no-one else.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems the trend at my local shops is everyone is focused on doing everything they can to add to the kits they have purchased rather than just building painting and enjoying.

Maybe adding extras to the base kit is what gives them their enjoyment .... building OOB is possibly not enough of a challenge, or their experience tells them they will be unsatisfied with a finished model that has mistakes or shortcomings.
Whatever way each modeller decides to build, is the best way for that modeller. There is no wrong or right .. its your cash, your hobby, your model.
Frank D. wroteI jump back and forth between adding and staying OOB. I don't feel pressured to do either and just kinda go with what feels best. and this would probably sum up my way best, as well. Sometimes saving energy on the build allows one to concentrate more on the painting and weathering. But Id have to admit to really getting the urge to add aftermarket sometimes. It might be that the replacement part is better, a lot less construction and saves time or in some cases the aftermarket is the source of inspiration, and Im adding an injection kit to it!
With the quality of kits today though, the necessity or even the urge for adding aftermarket, is getting less and less, so you definitely wont be standing alone.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
I build mostly OOB, but then I realized that I always add something to them!! It might be extra packs, “home made” tarps, gas cans, weapons, tow cables. So I guess that I’m not an OOB builder!! I have used resin and PE parts, I will also continue to use resin zimmert as trying to do it otherwise drives me nuts!! I am also very fortunate that I have a very understanding wife who supports me and my passion for this hobby.

But at the end, it is a hobby, not some life and death struggle. I respect those who build OOB as much as I respect those who go and super detail a kit. Remember it’s the over all finish that counts and the enjoyment you get from this great hobby 

Darryl
 _GOTOTOP