_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
General advice on paints, painting etc
SCUDHunter
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:08 PM UTC
Greetings,

Seeking some general advice.

I haven’t built a model in a long, long time and haven’t stayed up-to-date on the latest and best supplies; therefore, I would welcome some advice on the following questions:

With respect to paints, which paint is better suited to military vehicles: acrylic or enamel?

What brands of paint can you recommend?

With regard to fillers/putties, what brand is the best?

I am currently working on Dragon’s SS-1c "SCUD-B" w/MAZ-543TEL, do you have any painting suggestions for this kit. I am leaning towards an Iraqi or Iranian build.

Regards,

SCUD Hunter
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
I like to use model master paints ( mainly because thats all thats in the hobby shop they specialize in rc cars ) and I use both acrylic and enamel at times, have no advice on that tank though.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
Found these for you:

Both by a guy named Tsuyoshi Nagami. Incredible job.
I personally like to use acrylics, no smell, easy to clean up, easy everything, Vallejo do a huge range of paints for brushing and airbrushing. Fillers are a matter of choice. I like auto body filler in fine grade. Some use Mr. surfacer, milliput, microballoons, the list goes on.
HTH
And welcome to the site
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:25 PM UTC
Sorry, found this one too........jumped the gun by sending the other post off.

I Like this on alot!!!!!! Interesting paint scheme, no idea what it is.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven’t built a model in a long, long time
With respect to paints, which paint is better suited to military vehicles: acrylic or enamel?

I am currently working on Dragon’s SS-1c "SCUD-B" w/MAZ-543TEL, do you have any painting suggestions for this kit. I am leaning towards an Iraqi or Iranian build.

I hope this kit doesn't scare you away! It's one of the worst armor kits I've done. That being said, it builds to an ompressive kit.

I did min in three color Russian. As to painting. Paint the chassis and each of the four compartments separately before attching them to the chassis. Be carefu tl align the tires correctly, the tread pattern is offset on each side. This kit needs a lot of careful work to get right, and even then, I had to trim one of the compartments to get them to all fit onto the chassis. If you open the compartment doors, try to find a bunch of stencilling and gauge decals since the kit doesn't offer you any, despte the box art's impications.

Quoted Text

"What brands of paint can you recommend?
With regard to fillers/putties, what brand is the best?

I like ModelMaster enamels and Floquil Railroad colors for painting armor. I don't know that Squadron White is best but it works pretty good. The main disadvantages are that is cures relatively slowly and can attack plastic is used too generously. It also tends to clog files and sandpaper. Depending on the seam to be filled, an epoxy like Miliput is good since it will not affect plastic. It is particualrly good if you have to build up contours since it cures by a chemical reaction, I think (hardener and resin) For small, pesky seams, Zap-a-Gap, gap filling super glue is good. The big advantage to Zap is that is cures very fast and can be accelerated. It'll sand glass smooth with fine sandpaper or polishing cloths.

Al

SCUDHunter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies!

Desert-Fox, I concur that Tsuyoshi Nagami did an Incredible job of the Maz 543 Tel.

AJLaFleche, when you did your kit did you have any reference photos for the inside of the Maz 543. I have scoured the web but came up dry. Do you have any photos posted of your creation.

Regards,

SCUD Hunter

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AJLaFleche, when you did your kit did you have any reference photos for the inside of the Maz 543. I have scoured the web but came up dry. Do you have any photos posted of your creation.

I built mine pre-computer, round about 1994 or 95, I think. I used the pictures on the side for ideas in the "work stations" and had the Eduard or Airwaves interior PE set. I've never posted anything, but I'll take a couple shots and post them this weekend.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
Here are a few pics of my DML Scud and launcher in Russian colors. http://groups.msn.com/armorama/alalbum.msnw?Page=3 " TARGET="_blank"> http://groups.msn.com/armorama/alalbum.msnw?Page=3 :-)
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
Paint choice is largely personal. I have used Humbrol enamels for about 45 years, which is a frighteningly long time, and have recently used Tamiya enamels, which I mix with the Humbrol enamels. I brush paint and find that acrylics dry too quick to lay-off the final finish. I do use acrylics for special effects, for instance exhaust rust. This is because, as mentioned, they dry quickly so over brushing creates a rough effect which is consistent with rust.

If you were to use one of these new fangled airbrush thingies then acrylics would probably be marginally kinder to your bronichals and associated plumbing. There again if you are spraying you should have a booth/mask.

I would suggest that all the well known brands of paint are of excellent quality, the makers would not be in business otherwise, so as I said at the start, it is a matter of personal preference - and, of course, local availability.

Good luck with your modelling revival.

Regards Dave
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:59 PM UTC
just my 2 cents worth.. I'd used the Model master red putty and I will NOT recommend it as I've had it soften up the plastic, esp wing edges........ I threw all mine away.. I use squdron's white putty now and I've never had a problem with it softening the plastic. It cures well and sands nicely and being in the states milliput is impossible to find unless your special order it.

as for paints.. use anything and everything. I perfer model master enamals for airbrushing but I will use just about anything to bring what i see in my head into existance............
SCUDHunter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:14 AM UTC
AJLaFleche,

Thanks for posting the pics of the Maz 543.

Very nice job indeed!

SCUD Hunter
 _GOTOTOP