Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Don Imus Firing
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a lock should be put on this topic, or better yet a complete removal. This discussion can only get uglier if it keeps up.

Well now, I think so long as we keep our collective head about us, that we can discuss this with the minimal of bloodshed. Al has a valid point, a very valid point that I recognize and quite frankly agree with. However, if one group is forced to stop with the racial slurs, if one group of people is forced to act like this, shouldn't ALL people? Which brings me back to the point I was making about Sharpton and Jackson being hypocrites.

Racism is flat out wrong, but it prevails on all sides of the "playing field" case in point my neighbor across the street, who is as nice as can be to me when he sees me out mowing the yard or playing with my kids. I really would like to point out to him that if he's going to call me "That redneck across the street", or "white trash", that he reeeeeeally needs to either do it in winter time, or at the very least close his windows whilst ranting. this is of course, an extreme example, but do you see why I am taking the stance on this that I am? I'm not upset by it, i dont hold any grudges against the guy (I cant, Im a Secular Franciscan in inquiry), thats jusy who he is, but it doesnt mean that I cant see the whole problem for what it is either.

See??? That was painless, and I didnt even break the skin!!
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 05:00 AM UTC
[quote]maybe a 66 year old white guy will help clean up the airwaves quote]

One can only hope! I've heard cars outside of bass Pro shop with music so filthy Ive actually started talking loudly and nonstop at my kids so they couldnt hear it as we walk back to the car, and thats saying alot, considering I was a punk rocker in the 80's!!
Removed by original poster on 04/17/07 - 08:08:04 (GMT).
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 06:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't characterize myself as an Imus fan although I listened to him on WFAN the sports talk station that carried him fo twenty years ,but I believe that his firing was excessive punishment.I in no way defend his remarks which were over the top and insensitive and I believe he deserved censure and punishment.I believe the original 2 week suspension was appropiate.He apologized to the team and it was accepted,The firing however was a knee jerk reaction to satisfy the likes of Sharpton and Jackson.He will however be fine he is 66 years old and has more money then God,he doesn't need the show,but will probably miss it.But the PC crowd wins out again.

Yeah, I agree with you Anthony. Im not a fan of Imus either, but I think firing him was over the top. Imus iis a "shock jock", and he did what they hired him to do; stir up controversy. As far as Sharpton and Jackson go, those guys have no room to protest anyone. Theyre too of the biggest racists I have ever seen. I seem to remember Jesse Jackson calling NYC "Jew York City". If thats not the words of a racist, I dont know what are. However, Im not shocked by Imus saying it, I am shocked by the "reverand" saying such a thing. I wont even go into Sharpton. Them protesting Imus is really "the pot calling the kettle black" (no pun intended).
thehannaman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 279 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Somewhat cynically, I have to wonder if muppets like Imus deliberately do this to get their contracts torn-up to enable to move onto bigger and (more lucrative) things.

That's funny that you mention that. I once heard Anthony Cumia say that when you screw-up in the radio business, you tend to literally screw-UP. In the end Opie and Anthony got their markets back (for the most part) and have their XM "insurance policy." They really are getting the best of both worlds and look at all the controversy they've caused over the years.