_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
how do you keepyour hand from shaking
cartridge
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
I try keeping my wrist on a table, but maby that doesn't work
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:42 AM UTC
I stay off the plonk for a week.
Arthur
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
Switch to Decaf coffee. Seriously, though, I think I remember from your intro thread that you wer 11. Your hand will get steadier as you get a little older and get more practice. Then you get old and it goes down hill again. Now I know you don't want to hear "wait til you grow some more" (you probably hear that enough on other things) Here's how I do it. Hold the piece you are painting against something big and flat, like the top of your workspace. Put your painting arm against the edge of the table about 1/2 way between your wrist and elbow. Lay your arm over to the piece and rest the edge of your hand (where your pinky is against the table top. Now you are using most of your arm to steady itself. You will still shake a little, but it will reduce a lot of it.

Here's a pic of it:

I usually hold the piece with my other hand, but it's hard to take a picture with both hands full. You get the idea.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Switch to Decaf coffee. Seriously, though, I think I remember from your intro thread that you wer 11. Your hand will get steadier as you get a little older and get more practice. Then you get old and it goes down hill again. Now I know you don't want to hear "wait til you grow some more" (you probably hear that enough on other things) Here's how I do it. Hold the piece you are painting against something big and flat, like the top of your workspace. Put your painting arm against the edge of the table about 1/2 way between your wrist and elbow. Lay your arm over to the piece and rest the edge of your hand (where your pinky is against the table top. Now you are using most of your arm to steady itself. You will still shake a little, but it will reduce a lot of it.

Here's a pic of it:

I usually hold the piece with my other hand, but it's hard to take a picture with both hands full. You get the idea.

I am fifty five and never done better work .....
Arthur
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
Are you doing figures? If so, after prepping and cleaning, I usually drill a hole in the foot, insert a tiny brass rod and pin it into a block of balsa wood (around 2" x 2" or big / small enough to get a comfortable grip). This helps you get some leverage (which should help with the shaking) and also helps keeps your fingers off the figure.

GR8Voyager
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
Shaking is caused by many things (heredity, fatigue...) but for the most part it due to the strain on the muscles you are using. Try to find a comfortable position and inbetween doing things (ie. painting, gluing etc...) move around to relax the muscles...

Hope that helps
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am fifty five and never done better work .....
Arthur

55 isn't old. I'm talking 85+. Although there are exceptions to everything so don't get offended if anybody out there is over 85. My ex father in law is 86 and is in great shape.
cartridge
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
thanks for you're help
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:31 PM UTC
I just don't drink as much the night before
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:40 AM UTC
All of the above and any way of supporting your hand will help.Lay one hand on the table holding the pieceand place the other hand next to it. If you can join your hands in any way,just a touch even it will steady things a lot. I learned this from a sign painter who would use a double grip as he got older.Best of all though,relax.JOCK
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
To tell you the truth guys all of my finer work is done with out support of my arm. Guess I have a steady hand.
I keep the piece I need to paint in one hand and with the righthand I paint the small detail lets say a medal or something with the whole arm resting on air and just paint.

that`s my way to do it.

mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC
For close up work, I rest my arms on my ribs..oh, ok, my stomach.
This puts my hands together, right in front of my heart.
This is a good distance from my eyes for me.
For normal work, I used to rest my forearms on the edge of my workbench but this would cause my hands to go numb. So I got one of those gel filled wrist supports for working on your computer keyboard. Now they rest on that and there's no more numbness.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
I rest my hand on a wrist pad. I picked one up at an Office Depot. It has made a world of difference.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
when I get shakey I'll set down what I'm painting shake my arms out a few times. Refresh my eyes. Get up and go pee. Mainly something to relax and break the concentration for a minute or so. refreshed, then go back and work some more. Make sure you use good lighting to reduce eye strain
 _GOTOTOP