Discuss general weathering topics here.
would a puddle look good on tank?
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:00 PM UTC
would a puddle look good on a tank? like right after it rained?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:25 PM UTC
I guess, like anything, it depends on how it's done. It might be more effective if part of a diorama so people get the sense of rain, or else people might mistake it for oil, gas etc. I am just wondering where would you put it and would a puddle have time to form?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:20 PM UTC
I dont see why not. I think to show this you would have to use gloss paints and to cover the entire vehicle as if it was raining you might need to show more to achieve the effect ... like soldiers sheltering from the rain. But as the tank started to dry up there would be puddles left. This could be made by painting the puddle by a few layers of gloss paint and have some leaves floating around the outside.
This has just come to me ........ Sometimes when you use the wrong thinner it breaks up the paint instead of thinning it ...... using a wash of this around the outside of the puddle to show washed up dirt and grease etc. I have never tried it but it could work!
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hmm... a puddle would look okay if it were say collected in a low point of a tarp on a tank, but that's about the only thing I can think of...
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
I'm with gunner on this one. The surfaces would be wet, but the tank would not collect puddles and if the vehicle was running, even idling, the heat generated would dry the engine and exhaust areas quickly after the rain stopped.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
100% agree with Gunner and Rob. It never happened to me to see puddles on the tanks I've been on even during the worse thunderstorm...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 06:57 PM UTC
If the tank were at an angle, there would be a puddling effect in some areas. Of course definitely on a tarp. To do this, I read there is a new product out called instatnt water or real water. Already mixed you just have to pour it. I think it's by theWoodland scenics company. Read about it here. someone used it in a Viet Nam diorama.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
I saw that dio thanks now i know a puddlwe wouldn't be all that great on a tank
 _GOTOTOP