_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modelling Magazines
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC
Not sure if this is the right forum or not. What would your 5 top modelling magazines be? If you got subscriptions what magazines would you buy?
Thanks
Mike
sxeandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 07:55 PM UTC
Mine would be

AFV Modeller
MMIR
Model Military International
Military Modelling
Tamita Modelling International

and I subscribe to them all

;)
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi,

I currently only subscribe to two magazines: Military Miniatures in Review and Model Military International. Both are excellent magazines but MMI is probably the one I like the best. I recently canceled my subscription to Fine Scale Modeler. It became more and more useless and isn’t worth the $40 subscription rate.

If I could afford it (Subscription rates for magazines published in England is a little steep considering the dollar to pound conversion rate.), I would also subscribe to AFV Modeler.

Scott
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:01 PM UTC
I only get Model Military International. it covers my subjectsand is well set out.
darreng
Visit this Community
entire network: 789 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
I but AFV Modeller, Military In Scale, Model Military International, Model Aircraft International, Tamiya Model Magazine and Military Modelling. And occasionally buy Military Modelcraft and Scal Models International.
And I buy non modelling magazines such as Classic Military Vehicles and Military Machines International.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
I personally dont subscribe to any modelling magazines, but I always but AFV Modeller every month, most months I also get Mil Mod, Model Miliary, MMiR, Military in Scale, I've also bought Xtreme Modelling too.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hmmm. A trend? Seems that most of these are armor focused. I just went ahead an re-upped my FSM for a nother couple of years. Just wondering; is it too general, too advertising heavy, too airplane heavy, or too novice modeler oriented?

If I had another U$40 to spend on an airplane focused mag, what would the assembled wisdom suggest?
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC

I currently subscribe to-

Military in scale
Model military International, and
Military Modelling,

and when I'm out and about shopping, I'll look at other modelling publications such as AFV modeller, FSM, Military Modelcraft, and even The Tamiya modelling Mag. and if there's an interesting, or relevent article, I'll buy them, some months I buy them all. My No.1 choice, is Military in Scale, been a subscriber since 94..., top mag...

Jason
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3,736 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm. A trend? Seems that most of these are armor focused. I just went ahead an re-upped my FSM for a nother couple of years. Just wondering; is it too general, too advertising heavy, too airplane heavy, or too novice modeler oriented?

If I had another U$40 to spend on an airplane focused mag, what would the assembled wisdom suggest?

Fine Scale Modeler is the USA Today of model magazines. Breezy, short articles with lots of white space, very light on research information, almost totally oriented toward beginners. In its first year of publication, it was more substantive, but it has been dumbed down. And I've always hated their policy of limiting reviews to a single photo and a half page of text.
Military Modelling's research/build articles, in contrast, typically have more information than an entire Osprey book (in really small type), and the standards of research are generally very high. Not every issue has something that interests me, but those issues that do become permanant parts of my research library.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
I get most of my info from Big A.

And yes.. I subscribe to it.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:24 AM UTC
As of today I usually get the following…

Model Airplane International
Scale Aviation Modeler
Military InScale
Tamiyas Model Magazine
Sky Model

I used to get Fine Scales mag monthly, but it’s gotten to busy lately and now I just buy what is interesting in that issue.

Joe
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
Subscriptions, only my IPMS Journal, and Model Magazine International, which was a package deal from a website membership.
Two others I actually look for at the local B&N on the way to work each month, both aren't model magazines, but are for the full size enthusiasts. One is Military Machines International, the other is Military Wheels Magazine. I don't save any of them, but have started to scan and save the articles that interest me. Yes- perish the thought, I actually throw things out.
Others I'll pick up, if they interest me & If i see it -I'll usually pick it up Military Miniatures In Review- only because I like Pat's sense of humor.
The other two are good for someone like myself, with AA-DD, as they have good photos and illustrations, and articles I can read, and retain with my ever changing attention span. One is Military Illustrated, the other is Military Classics Illustrated. But I'll only spring for these if they have an article or two I'm interested in, and again, I'll scan and save these then toss the magazine out.

I'm afraid that most magazines have priced themselves out of my life for what you get. The last time I saw a particular British magazine on the local B&N rack it was going for over $16.00, which to me just isn't worth it for what you get. I'm also afraid I see a terrible trend in the rising prices for these British model magazines. I'm still wondering why and how one can justify charging over $16.00 for a model magazine yet I can pick up another British Magazine that cover the full size vehicles in much better details for a mere $6.99, with 2/3rds less advertizing.
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC
Military in scale
Military Modelling

for me
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:16 PM UTC
Not a subscriber, but I usually buy

Military Modelling (except the Euromilitaire issue - bought it last year by mistake, never again!)

AFV Modeller

I flick through most of the other mags, but they seem more interested in cosmetic builds than anything in-depth.

David
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wondering; is it too general, too advertising heavy, too airplane heavy, or too novice modeler oriented?

All of the above IMO. I bought this months edition, as I had 5 hours on a train, each way to the south of Sweden, and this was all they had (as well as TMMI) in the press shop. Never again. Eventhough there were some decent subjects, it wouldn´t meet the standard of the average Armorama thread.
As a rule, I dont subscribe to any magazines, and just pick up those that have something interesting. Magazines are quite expensive in Sweden, 75-95sek ($11 -$13.50) for the cheaper mags .. FSM, TMMI, MM, MMI etc. Extreme modeller, AFV modeller, MMIR etc cost 150sek (~$21).
If I was to pick just one mag to subscribe to it would probably be MM, for reasons already mentioned in the thread previously.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:41 PM UTC
I used to subscribe to FSM for many a year, and like was already mentioned, they began to not hold my interest, so I cancelled. ( I read the same info in at least 4 different issue on the same subject) The only magazine I subscribe to is the one I work for, Aerospace Modeler Magazine. I will thumb thru some of the new issues of the armor mags, but unless I see something that just takes my breath away, the mag usually stays on the shelf. If you build aircraft and want some good content, history, research, builds etc, please give our magazine a look. Its a quartely publication at present, but will soon go to 6 issues a year. We are having a new website built at the moment where one can see what is what. (www.aerospacemodeler.com) Info on it is currently a little dated due to the new site construction, but the new site should go hot very shortly. We are in our second year of publication, and things are going very well. Hope you guys like what you see. Also please feel free to put a bug in my ear about things you'd like to see in the magazine. Personally, I was tired of seeing 109's and 190's at every turn of the page. I like them, but there are other planes out there. "Q"

ps. I'm not bashing FSM in any way. It just didn't continue to work for me any longer.
 _GOTOTOP