History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Genealogy
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC
Back in October, I posted a vignette I called One Mile to Deerfield based on Michael Roberts' The Scouts. . At the time, I noted that my best friend had an ancestor who was captured in the 29 February 1704 raid. He is doing my family record and discovered that a grandmother (Martha French) 6 generations removed was also taken prisoner there and maed the forced march to Canada, eventually moving to Montreal and marrying jaques Roy. It also turns out another grandmother (Marie Joseph Sayers born Esther Sayward) 7 generations removed was taken prisoner from York, Maine and brought to Canada.
He also learned that my first patrilineal ancestor, one Pierre Richer dit LaFleche, arrived in New France in 1665 as part of the Carrignan-Salieres Regiment.

The things you learn!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
Apparantley, according to my mother, I am descended from the duke of Dudley. Also, my uncle five times removed is General Meade.

I knew a kid whose great great grandfather, or thereabouts, invented the catcher's mit.

History is closer than it seems!