_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How do you clean your brushes?
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 07:57 PM UTC
As the headline says; how do you clean your brushes? I clean mine with thinner (!!!). It is a waste of money but I haven't got anything else
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:38 PM UTC
I have some sort of cheap thinner as well... After that I like to wash my brushes with soap and water always making a perfect tip afterwards. I have used some brushes for a long time, so I guess this treatment suits them.

Mario M.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:38 PM UTC
i use sentetic thinner,is there any other or cheaper way?
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:38 PM UTC
I use a brush cleaner I get from the art store.....comes in a plastic, shallow, screw top container...the top says this:
"The Masters" BRUSH CLEANER and PRESERVER.....Original B&J Specially Prepapared Oil, Watercolour, Acrylic....Will Clean Hard Oil Paint Brushes.....KEEPS BRUSHES LIKE NEW.
I got a 1/2 can of it once from a retired Admiral who was giving me all of his model stuff....he couldn't see well enough anymore to do them....in the stuff was also a lot of paint brushes that weren't cleaned properly and were all hard and had been that way for at least a few years.....I used this stuff on them....and I had some very nice brushes after a little bit of work....it worked wonders even on brushes I thought were clean.
Before this I used to steal the small soaps from hotels and use these to wash out my brushes.....after finding this product I'll never do that again.....it's a little expensive.....$11 Cdn for 2 1/2 oz. but it lasts a long time and takes good care of your brushes....i find it well worth it.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
like dioman i use a brush cleaner i dip it in the cleaner and rinse it on a tissue.
RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:44 AM UTC
I rinse my brushes frequently when I'm brush painting with whatever thinner is appropriate for the paint. But when I go to wash the paint, I use Turpenoid Natural. It comes in a green bottle. It's supposed to help condition the brush as well and is non-toxic. Originally I bought it for washes, but it was obviously the wrong Turpenoid when I opened it at home.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
Hows this - It Depends, on... paint, the next color I'm going to use, when the next color I'm going to paint is.

If I am doing a lot of shade of a wash I'll simply rinse and dry my brush with water (using tamiya paints) or thinner (with testors). If I am going to use a darker color next I'll clean pretty well trying to get the pigment out, but not being so concerned. If I am going lighter then I get a bit OC and get all the pigment out with water then go to thinner also and get the brush very clean. If I won't be painting within the next 24 hours I'll go straight to thinner and clean it very well.
It depends on what I use the brush for too. I've got about 20 brushes (from really dirt cheap to nice ones). The cheaper the brush the harsher the use (ie dirty dry brushing at weathering stages) to gentle nice wonderful treatment to the WN brushes that cost a mint.
 _GOTOTOP