TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
' 300 ' the film!! Anyone else excited? ;-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:01 AM UTC
Howdy All

As the title says, how many of you out there are as excited as I am to see this film? Yeah, I know...I know. The movie won't be a historical 'rivet-counters' dreamwork, but it really looks to be an incredibly entertaining piece of celluliod. And to be quite honest, I am not performing any kind of mental flagellation by expecting a documentary from the mind of Frank Miller......but then that's alright, that's what gives life to the 'entertainment' part of the experience......

Anyway.......hope those of you who plan to attend this movie, enjoy it.

Me. I'll be wearin' bells.

Tread.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
I plan on going this weekend, and I normally avoid opening weekend movie-going.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
I'm sorry, I'm old, I go to the movies for entrainment, so I'll go see this one for the entrainment value, and see it with an open mind. OK let me rephrase that, the half functioning mind I have, I'll leave open.
I'm sure they will at least have the countries right. And we won't have to hear that the Tiger was only a T-34 in disguise.
I wonder if it will be a blood fest shock value movie?
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry, I'm old, I go to the movies for entrainment, so I'll go see this one for the entrainment value, and see it with an open mind. OK let me rephrase that, the half functioning mind I have, I'll leave open.
I'm sure they will at least have the countries right. And we won't have to hear that the Tiger was only a T-34 in disguise.
I wonder if it will be a blood fest shock value movie?

After the movie, you can give us your take to see if it was accurate. You were there weren't you?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After the movie, you can give us your take to see if it was accurate. You were there weren't you?

I keep telling you young folks, I'm senile, I don't remember! :-) :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC
This is a Great thread - love you guys (now now, lets not get excited).

My son has been bugging me ever since he saw the first promo for it. So I think I'll end up at the theater.
How'bout we all go and report back - I can give you the 40something perspective, Not there but remember news headlines.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
I've been a big Frank Miller fan. Loved his Dark Knight Batman series. Going through life with a name like Robin (the boy wonder), having a brother named Alfred and a wife named Barbara (aka Batgirl), it's freaky how the Batman names have followed my life.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 02:53 PM UTC
IMDB has some interesting comments about the film, though I'm stil confused about where the rhino fits in.

David
jimlolok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 03:07 PM UTC
what are we talking about???? Here in the backwoods of Warsaw we don't get to hear of tasty new movies till 3 months later...
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 04:39 PM UTC
It's the same in Scotland

Jamie
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 04:44 PM UTC
Saw the trailer for this at my local cinema last week - Trailed in front of Ghost Rider - Very entertaining.

SWMBO thought me strange for wanting to see a film full of semi naked men - but she's up for it, so i'll report on it when it's out this side of the pond.

Andy
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC
Its a new movie called 300. It's about the Battle of Thermopylae in 480BC
imdb link
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
I think that's nice of Andy to take his wife to see 300 semi naked men. :-) :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:01 PM UTC
I saw a special on it last night on the History channel. It seems they don't ever mention Thermopylea, but they did get about 90% of the story. As long as you are not expecting a docu-type film I think this will be a winner. The message will get out and probably prompt many to dig into the true story. I "ll hopefull catch this one on the big screen in a few weeks and I am a big fan of the original 300 Spartans from way back when. I am predicting that I will like it at about the same level as Troy and I pretty much thought that was a real good flic. Spiderman 3 is still number 1 on my hit list though.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 01:04 AM UTC
I'm with you Steve. I'm a big fan of the original "The 300 Spartans" from the 60's and loved both the movie and the story. I hope this doesn't wreck that!

Tom
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
I'm off to catch the 4PM showing.
Hope I don't doze off, as I've been known to do. :-)

edit OK, just got back, and stayed awake.

1. It's very graphic! Arms, legs, heads go flying, not to mention 90% get it with a spear passing through.
2. If you are looking for a serious historical drama, forget it. Unless the Persians suddenly had mythological creatures actually fighting on their side.
3. Besides 300 semi-naked men- for Andys' wife and anybody else, there are a few bare breasted females for the dirty old men among us, or hyper active teenagers. (It's a Must be 17-in my area, and I was "lucky" -read that as sarcasm- enough to catch the show with quite a few of them- all rather well behaved I might add)
4. Little acting-read as it appears to be 90+% CGI, so it's like watching a 30 foot wide video game at times.

I did find it entertaining, and an enjoyable movie for entertainment value only. I certainly wouldn't want to base a term paper on it.

I never knew the Persian King-"god of gods" was a 9 foot gay guy wearing chains and piercings.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
I went to see the movie yesterday and I think I had an out of body experience and was taken over by Dave because I had the same experience as he did.

An entertaining movie overall. It sure won't win any awards unless the most impalings becomes an award, or maybe the biggest hunchback as a supporting actor award is created.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 04:20 PM UTC
Saw it Saturday with the wife. Entertaining movie that was enjoyable.
jimlolok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 04:53 PM UTC
Now I know... Movie loosely based the immortal heroics of the 300 spartans...Starts here on friday........
For me I am looking foreward to 'Sunshine" I know it will be preposperous as to its scientific facts but that is not what we go to the movies for...Is it???
greetings from SUNNY Warsaw !!!!!!!
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 05:07 PM UTC
Phalanx fighting should see a lot of use of the spear. The front row can do nothing but hang onto their shields and their footing because they're packed so tight in what is basically a shoving match, so the men in the ranks behind use their spears over the ranks in front. None of this sword fighting nonsense

David
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 07:40 PM UTC
David is right. They actually show us some real phalanx fighting towards the beginning, but then the director/creators obviously think an hour of that would be boring so they have them move out of formation and engage in hand-to-hand combat with about 6 Persians to one Spartan.

I liked the first half of the movie. The second half seemed a bit like a freak-show. The Persians were made out to be inhuman beasts (yes I understand that is was using the Mythology of the times). And what was the deal with using black actors for the mouthpieces of the Persian Empire?? Was this a hollywood attempt to make the movie more racially balanced? Or did Frank Miller pen them that way in the graphic novel. Either way that weirded me out a bit and I am not even a politically correct-type person.

Jim

PS: If you get a chance to see that special on the History Channel do it. The real history was more interesting (and exciting) I thought.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 08:22 PM UTC
The REAL history is ALWAYS better. It's alot more amazing when you REALLY see what happened, than what Hollywierd wants you to think happened. Besides, it looks like a corny action flick with no purpose than to seem "cool".
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:04 AM UTC
I think you guys are forgetting the fact that this movie was based on a comic book (graphic novel) that was inspired by another Hollywood movie made 40 years ago.

Most likely, Frank Miller saw black actors playing the part of Persians in the 1960s and carried over this theme to his comic book. He may have done some historical research, but most likely was heavily influenced by the movie The 300 Spartans more than actual history.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:34 PM UTC
I know it’s just a movie intended for entertainment purposes only, but there a plenty of young knuckle heads out there who will see this as a type of cliff’s notes. There should be a disclaimer. Now the Iranians are complaining (and seeing it in record numbers-record numbers offended?). I guess not all knuckle heads confusing entertainment for representational depiction are American.
And now is the Battle of Salamis going to be forgotten?, The ( heavily out numbered but victorius) Plebe rowers returning to Athens and being included in democracy? It’s not nearly as entertaining. So, the general population that does not read or have an interest in history will just not know that the Spartans subsisted on brutal slavery, publicly enforced pederasty, and whose population dwindled through government imposed infanticide and ill advised child rearing practices. Oh ya, and was not the pass at thermopile held by other Greeks for two days before the Spartans showed up and were defeated. Consider how Custer is remembered, the myth is known the history is forgotten.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it’s just a movie intended for entertainment purposes only, but there a plenty of young knuckle heads out there who will see this as a type of cliff’s notes. There should be a disclaimer. Now the Iranians are complaining (and seeing it in record numbers-record numbers offended?). I guess not all knuckle heads confusing entertainment for representational depiction are American.
And now is the Battle of Salamis going to be forgotten?, The ( heavily out numbered but victorius) Plebe rowers returning to Athens and being included in democracy? It’s not nearly as entertaining. So, the general population that does not read or have an interest in history will just not know that the Spartans subsisted on brutal slavery, publicly enforced pederasty, and whose population dwindled through government imposed infanticide and ill advised child rearing practices. Oh ya, and was not the pass at thermopile held by other Greeks for two days before the Spartans showed up and were defeated. Consider how Custer is remembered, the myth is known the history is forgotten.

Have you seen the trailers on T.V.? "Come see mankinds first fight for freedom!"
The sad part is John Q. Public believes it.