_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Trumpeter KV 2 Build
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:06 PM UTC

I was sitting in my work room thursday just gone, just wondering what to do while I waited for my mig pigments to arrive from Historex, and I thiought that it might be nice to build my KV 2, so I sat and built the turret, it's stright out the box, with just a nice Jordi Rubio barrel and here are some pics......

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi Jason,
Looking good so far.
Is the kit supplied barrel in one piece, and is it worth getting the aluminium barrel as a replacement.
I shall be watching this thread for any fit problems, as I have ordered myself the same kit.
Andy
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 03:48 AM UTC

Hi Andy,
I'm afraid the kit barrel comes in 2 halves, I replaced it with an ally one out of choice. The turret went together really easy (had to as I built it in an afternoon...) there's only a couple of places where it needs filler, that's where the front plate attaches itself to the rest of the turret, and there's a bit of armour plate that over hangs the gun mantlet at the top that has a slight gap (you can see it in pictures 2 and 5). I haven't started the hull yet, that won't be until next week, post some pics when i do

Jason
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Looks good Jason.
I couldnt help noticing the storage boxes behind though.Are they Ikea ones?
Nige
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 04:15 AM UTC

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the kind words, and yep my storage boxes straight from that wonderful swedish shop, they do them a little different now I think, mine came ready built, but they do them kinda flat packed, but doesn't virtually everything these days come flat packed.

Jason
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC
I thought I reconised the storage boxes I have the same ones but i painted and put little handle/knobs (from Wilkinsons) on mine

Oh by the way, some nice work on the tank so far and I'm pinching the idea of pin vice drills for painting figures
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
Big bloody barrel you have there Is it really worth the extra cost? I bet it cost as much as the kit So will you be adding individual metal tracks as well

IKEA is an ugly word in my house. I've been twice, to the store in Nottingham, and I flatly refuse to ever go again. The last time we walked through the store with all the other sheep (you have to go from A to Z, via the rest of the alphabet) SWMBO picked up 1 small item on the way. When we got to the checkouts every one was 15-20 deep. I ditched said item and got out, only to wait for ages to be able to get out of the car park. Not never ever again

Rant over

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IKEA is an ugly word in my house. I've been twice, to the store in Nottingham, and I flatly refuse to ever go again. The last time we walked through the store with all the other sheep (you have to go from A to Z, via the rest of the alphabet) SWMBO picked up 1 small item on the way. When we got to the checkouts every one was 15-20 deep. I ditched said item and got out, only to wait for ages to be able to get out of the car park. Not never ever again

Rant over

Mal

You wouldnt have minded the queues if they sold flat pack Spitfires! :-)

Nige

(((( Ducks to avoid low flying blunt object! )))
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You wouldnt have minded the queues if they sold flat pack Spitfires!

True, but they don't

Talking about Spitfires, 5th March is nearly here

Anyway, back to the thread I'm beginning to feel the urge for a Target in a simple scheme, just to be able to build one with as little hassle as possible. The KV-2 may be a contender, although I prefer the looks of the KV-1. Maybe I should do a T-34. Maybe I should just stick to aircraft.

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:51 AM UTC
I thought youd got a Tiger planned Mal?
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought youd got a Tiger planned Mal?

And since when have I built anything that I planned? :-)

Yep Nige, the Tiger is planned but I need to do some "practice" targets first, and I figer something like a T-34, KV-1/2, in a simple scheme would get me started A/T up.................on way wuuumba

Mal
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:35 PM UTC

Hi Mal,
It's a nice turned ally barrel, I think it cost about a fiver, but worth the extra cost me's thinks, I just hate trying to clean up barrels that come in 2 halves, I'll be using the tracks that come woth the kit, not metal ones this time, you get 2 types with the KV, the old rubber band type, and single links (might give them a miss this time around, trying to get it finished for the march mom comp.)

As for ikea, we're off for a visit on friday evening, might be able to pick up a few items for my workroom (the main reason I go), got to admit though the tills are a joke, they do, do a nice hot chocolate though ..
 _GOTOTOP