_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Need advice to scratch M113 OIF side racks
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
I'm thinking of scratchbuilding the side storage racks used by M113s of the 3rd ID in OIF during the invasion. These racks, which were made locally in Kuwait, are available in a Verlinden photoetch set, but I thought I'd give it a go since they seem like an easy way to try out scratchbuilding for the first time. I've sketched out the overall dimensions on paper, but I'd like to know what more experienced folks think of my plan. In particular, I'd like to know if the structure will be sound, if I've forgotten something, or if there is a better/easier way of doing what I want to do.

Right now I am planning to use 0.06" "L" angle strip for the base of the rack and the four corner posts, and 0.06"x0.04" strip for the rails and side braces. The strips will go on the outside of the corner posts, per reference pictures. The bottom will be lined with mesh, per the one reference photo I have. I plan to build the base by using four angle strips with 45 degree cuts on the corners to form a box with a raised lip.

Here is a crude diagram of what I'm planning (my drawing skills are primitive at best):

Thanks for helping me out folks!
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
Seems good to me. I've done some scratching before, but this would be a challenge for me. You plan looks simple enough, which is the key. You may also want to look at your hobby store or even a hardware store for some thin flat brass or copper too. The one thing I'm worried about is the thickness. There is a reason its in PE and the one I used on my Bradley is pretty thin.

Its your project and the worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and you're at square one, so I say go for it. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Jeff
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC
Your idea looks good to me. I like the more dimensional look of using strip and angle iron styrene. The Verlinden PE set is too flat for me. The actual racks were welded from individual pieces of flat steel, overlapped as you state. The Verlinden rack has no overlap of the pieces. The only other thing I would add is cross braces on the bottom in the same places as the 3 vertical bars on the side.

Good luck.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hey folks,

This looks just like the bustle racks that were mounted on the Bradleys in OIF. Did the M113 and Bradleys use the same bustle racks?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
They were similar, just shorter on the M113s. Most of the 2nd BDE, 3ID vehicles had them since they were all from the PrePo equipment in Kuwait.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:10 AM UTC
I think your on the right track Lucas. I agree with Gino. I have the verlinden racks on my m2a2ODS, and I think they actually look too thin. I say go for it, it looks good from where I am standing!
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the sanity check and tips, guys! I went ahead and cut the styrene strip and angle tonight using my new mitre box and saw set. I was amazed at how easy it is to make nice square and 45 degree cuts with the right tools! Next up I plan to build the base, then the long side, and I will finish with the front and rear. I'm going away on business for a few days, but should get back on track this weekend.

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP