_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Help with Weathering Panzer Grey
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 05:10 PM UTC

Just finishing off my early Tiger 1, sprayed itin a nice bright colour (Panzer Grey), given it a couple of coats of Johnsons Klear, attached the decals, looking good, and then I realised that I've never painted a tank grey before, so I've been sitting at my work bench for the last hour or so flicking through books and magazines, but I can't find an article on weathering a grey tank, can anybody point me in the right direction?
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
MIG Productions do a Panzer Grey fading pigment (PO35).
Or you could take the base colour, lighten it a bit and spray the center of the top half panels to give it a sun bleached look.
If all else fails, cover it in mud :-).
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:46 AM UTC
Sorry Jason but I don't build targets, yet. Try different washes on the underside, I use artist oil colours and I'm thinking that a mix of burnt umber and Davey Grey might work, but I'd have to try it before confirming.
Mal
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC

Thanjs for the tips guys, I've ordered some Mig Panzer grey fading pigments from Historex, so hopefully they'll arrive by the end of the week, and I'll be able to get the tiger finished in time for the March MOM (fingers crossed).

Mal. I haven't tried weathering with oils yet..... but I may be tempted if the results i get with the pigments don't look right.
wilson
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 129 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC
Jason,
You need to break up the monotone colour of the panzer grey, which is quite dark really. I have always used this as a base colour and then lightened it with lighter greys or even flesh colours, but not white! When doing lighter cotes of paint then make it random and try to keep away from the edges too much. I have noticed that people are doing oil wash blending of a different sort nowadays, (this may not be a new thing!) and have seen this technique described in Model Military the sister mag of Tamiya. I aim to try this out on grey early war4 tanks myself in the near future.

Let me know how it goes.

Sam
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:01 PM UTC
Camogirl could probably answer this one better, but she recently started working on target subjects and bought a three pack of SIN Filters (number P243). These are premade washes for german subjects and include Panzer grey, the dark yellow so often used and one other that i cant remember. She also got a set of weathering oils called Abteilung 502 by MIG and they also include popular shades for armour and aircraft including faded grey (abt100).
 _GOTOTOP