_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
ca glue
madrob66
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 03:28 PM UTC
Can anybody recomend some slow setting superglue, preferably one available in the uk, this pe takes some positioning for us newbies

Rob
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
you'll want the thicker Ca's or the Gel type, they still cure pretty fast. if it's plastic try a brushable adhsive such as Tamiya extra thin Cement ot Tenax.

A note on CA's...... CA reacts to the Humidity in the air they do tend to cure faster in the Summer (when it's humid) Personally I've noticed myself using the Accelerator more in the Winter than the summer..........
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anybody recomend some slow setting superglue, preferably one available in the uk, this pe takes some positioning for us newbies

Rob

Hi Rob!
I've had the best of luck with "Loc-Tite" brand made by Permatex, which I'm not sure if it's available across the pond or not. . .like Matt said, look for the thicker, gel type...
~Gunny
madrob66
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:46 AM UTC
bought some loctite gel this afternoon, the difference is amazing even managed to stick some pe to tank without getting it stuck to my fingers first

thanks

Rob
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if it's plastic try a brushable adhsive such as Tamiya extra thin Cement ot Tenax.

He's talking about attaching photo-etch, Matt. Your gel suggestion is dead-on -- it dries slower than the thin stuff.

Rob: It pays to spend a little extra money to get good CA glue, as I think you found out when you used the Loc-tite! Freshness matters, too. Old CA just doesn't work as well as a fresh bottle.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Rob

If you manage to get to one of the bigger show, check to see if MR Models are there, their range of CA glue is very good.. I mainly use the medium thickness one, the thin is very thin (like water great for capilliary action, but not good for accurate drops). I've not tried the thick, but will make sure i get some next show. I'm not sure if the have a presence on t'interweb

HTH

Andy
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 03:53 PM UTC
I was half asleep when I read it yesterday.... that's kinda why I posted both the Gel type and the brushable ............

70some hour weeks do that
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

bought some loctite gel this afternoon, the difference is amazing even managed to stick some pe to tank without getting it stuck to my fingers first

thanks

Rob

That's great news, Rob!

I also like the "handy applicator bottle" with the squeeze valves on the side, for better control of the product. . .no waste, and like ya said, less chance of getting stuck fingers!

Don't forget to share some photo's of your work, too, so we can see the glue at work!

Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP